Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Compact/Micro 1911 recommendations

I'm in the market to buy a new /used 1911 to carry. I already own a Kimber Pro Carry 2 even though its only a 4" its still a little to big for my skinny ass to conceal. So I'm looking for recommendations for a 1911 less than 4". Price range is $1,000 at very most, would prefer to stay around $800. Only interested in .45acp.

Needs:
    Under 4"
    .45 ACP
    Under $1,000

Thanks in advance.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Compact/Micro 1911 recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by AYOUNG View Post
    I already own a Kimber Pro Carry 2 even though its only a 4" its still a little to big for my skinny ass to conceal.
    Sorry, dude... I don't buy it. I'm 130 lbs soaking wet and I carry a full size 1911 every day. I usually OC, but I conceal quite often when the day's activities make concealment preferable, and it conceals quite well. You just have to use an IWB holster and position it right.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Schuylkill County)

personally I own a Colt defender. I am quite pleased with it. I waited quite a few months until picking it. 3" barrel and it fits beautifully in my hand. All be it though, it is close to, but not over your $1000.00 spending cap you listed. It comes in 45acp . Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by paptini; January 29th, 2013 at 10:28 PM.

(Bucks County)

I typically carry it at 5 o'clock in a galco owb holster. Its comfortable but I want a nice concealable 1911 that I can use an iwb holster in the summer days. Always wanted a micro 1911. Guess I'm just picky lol.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by AYOUNG View Post
    I typically carry it at 5 o'clock in a galco owb holster. Its comfortable but I want a nice concealable 1911 that I can use an iwb holster in the summer days. Always wanted a micro 1911. Guess I'm just picky lol.
    I've never actually fired a 1911 under 5 inches... I've heard the smaller versions can be quite snappy... Is this true?
    Everyone should have an AK-47

This is the carry 1911 that is on my short list and it is in the $800 territory, which I do not like, but I want the gun, so something else will have to go. http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ul...ultra-carry-ii. It has the right amount of bling and it has Kimber's short barrel engineering that has pretty much done away with unreliable, SB 1911's (see the article in G&A Annual Edition 2013 by Dick Metcalf). It also has the smooth front strap so aggressive grip tape can be applied (I actually like this for carry verses checkering since it is super grippy and makes the gun less expensive, and if you cut it right, looks nice) What I noticed about this gun is you can get it stove pipe if you try to. It is definitely a pistol that proves limp wristing is for real. It's no problem, though, because you got to hold on to the thing when you shoot it. It ain't no snub nose .357 or .44, but it isn't a 5" 1911, either. If you want to get decent follow up shots with it, you definitely don't want any boredom streaking through your brain when shooting it. I didn't get to do a bag shoot with it, but off hand, it did 'bout what my 4" polymers do under a typical SD scenario. I was impressed with it and that's good enough for me. As far as being smaller, I agree with you. It's definitely better than a full size 1911 hanging on your waist all day, and the AL frame makes it that much better.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    I've never actually fired a 1911 under 5 inches... I've heard the smaller versions can be quite snappy... Is this true?
    Yes...and with some +P's, it feels like a light weight 40 cal on roids.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    personally I own a Colt defender. I am quite pleased with it. I waited quite a few months until picking it. 3" barrel and it fits beautifully in my hand. All be it though, it is close to, but not over your $1000.00 spending cap you listed. It comes in 45acp . Just my 2 cents.
    The defender is definitely interesting to me. Do they still make the night defender with the black slide? Or was that a limited run?

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    This is the carry 1911 that is on my short list and it is in the $800 territory, which I do not like, but I want the gun, so something else will have to go. http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/ul...ultra-carry-ii. It has the right amount of bling and it has Kimber's short barrel engineering that has pretty much done away with unreliable, SB 1911's (see the article in G&A Annual Edition 2013 by Dick Metcalf). It also has the smooth front strap so aggressive grip tape can be applied (I actually like this for carry verses checkering since it is super grippy and makes the gun less expensive, and if you cut it right, looks nice) What I noticed about this gun is you can get it stove pipe if you try to. It is definitely a pistol that proves limp wristing is for real. It's no problem, though, because you got to hold on to the thing when you shoot it. It ain't no snub nose .357 or .44, but it isn't a 5" 1911, either. If you want to get decent follow up shots with it, you definitely don't want any boredom streaking through your brain when shooting it. I didn't get to do a bag shoot with it, but off hand, it did 'bout what my 4" polymers do under a typical SD scenario. I was impressed with it and that's good enough for me. As far as being smaller, I agree with you. It's definitely better than a full size 1911 hanging on your waist all day, and the AL frame makes it that much better.
    I'm going to look into it, I'm impressed with my pro carry so Kimber is already good to go in my book.

(Schuylkill County)

To my knowledge no. Not to say that if you spend a little time surfing the web you may be able to find one. I think the new blackout version is called the New Agent, and although similar is not exactly like the defender. Trench style sights, wood grips etc. I did not like the feel in my hand as much as I liked the defender. One of the reasons I held off so long was because I'm not into the shiny weapon for ccw. I am actually looking into getting it redone in cerakote to darken it up. That's just the way I feel about it, If you don't mind the shine or if you like it then I would pick one up at a gun shop and see if it feels as good in your hand as it did mine. If you have time check out the colt website and you'll get a better idea about the New Agent to see if it interests you. Colt did tell me that they would send a Defender to the custom shop and black it out for me but the turn around was something like 2 years.

(Berks County)

A 3" 1911 isn't really going to be any more concealable that a 4" not much difference at all.

Try a few different holsters, that cam make all the difference.

This is all I have been using for multiple guns.
    http://www.kholster.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast