Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Your favorite AR scope...need advice

I am putting together a 9MM AR for close (less than 50 yards) running and gunning (IPSC and steel shooting).

I am interested in your thoughts on optics for this type of shooting. Eotech keeps coming up inconversations.

Thanks in advance for your experiences.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

Default Re: Your favorite AR scope...need advice

I've personally used EOTECH, CMORE, BARSKA (sp?) and they've all been fine at the range. I personally havn't done much of the type of shooting you're describing but I imagine the easier it is to see the dot the better results you'll have.

There's a PMSC/poofa member who let me run theirAR 9mm Carbine through the shoot house two group shoots ago...someone please help me with who it is...and that thing was accurate as anything.

(Allegheny County)

hey bear...

i love my eotech. eotech and aimpoint seem to be the two most popular, though there are certainly others.

both are rugged units. but, the thing that, for me, makes the eotech mush more desirable is the reticle in the eotech--65 moa ring around a 1 moa dot on eotech vs. just a dot on the aimpoint.

the 65 moa ring much quicker for your eye to pick up...and harder to lose...than the dot alone imho. and, the 65 moa ring is too big too miss and naturally guides your eye to its center (which, of course is where the dot is) just like your eye naturally centers the front iron sight in a rear ghost ring sight.

some people also say the eotech interferes less with your field of vision. i dunno...it would make sense because the glass seems to be slightly larger (and is square instead of round) and the unit is a bit shorter. however, i haven't used an aimpoint much, but when i did, i did not find the aimpoint to interfere with my field of vision either, so i say that is about a wash. (i think it would be an issue if you shoot with only one eye open, but if you keep both open like you should, it doesn't seem to be an issue to me.)

the eotech automatically shuts itself off after 4 or 8 hours (depending on how you turn it on). this "feature" drives me nuts. the aimpoint never shuts itself off. the underlying reason for this is that the eotech goes through batteries much faster (prolly because of the greater illumination required by the 65 moa ring) than the aimpoint. however, the eotech still gets several thousand hours out of a single set of batteries.

you might also want to check out the bushnell holosight. it seems to be the exact same sight as the eotech (and both are manufactured by the same company) but without the protective metal shroud. i like having the shroud as i like being able to abuse my tools and have them keep functioning, but you prolly don't really need it. and the bushnell is quite a bit cheaper than the eotech (which is quite a bit cheaper than the aimpoint).

if you have any other specific questions, lemme know.

(ETA: i need to get out shooting...it's been too long...wanna meet me out at the club tomorrow and try out my eotech?)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; March 28th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

(Beaver County)

Uh, Eotech 512, the one that takes AA batteries. That's my vote. I wouldn't recomend it, if I didn't own it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    Uh, Eotech 512, the one that takes AA batteries. That's my vote. I wouldn't recomend it, if I didn't own it.
    yep...that's the one i have as well.

(Westmoreland County)

Either the M3 or M4 aimpoint. A pistol caliber carbine for use at ranges of less than 50 yards does not require a powered optic. The reflex sights are optimal at short to moderate range and the aimpoint is the best reflex sight on the market.

The EOTech is a very "sexy" optic but it has been plagued with issues from its inception. It seemed to have reached a plateau of reliability with the "Rev F" but apparently they are still having issues (re: item #2). Makes me wonder what the next "oh $hit" issue will be.

If you have one and it works you're probably GTG but this came to me from a friend who has contacts in the DoD.

Warning sent to SOF ref EOtech 553 Reply with quote To all concerned:

The SOPMOD Program Management Office (PMO) is issuing this notice to all potential users of the EOTech SU-231/PEQ Reflex Sight, NSN 1240-01-533-0941, also known as the holographic weapon sight.

1. It was recently brought to the attention of the SOPMOD PMO that there exists the possibility that the SU-231/PEQ Reflex Sight made by EOTech is susceptible to failure characterized by the sight shutting off in the middle of weapon fire.

2. The failure is caused by faulty battery contacts that were incorporated by EOTech without government concurrence. (See attached image). These faulty battery contacts are susceptible to wear due to shock while the weapon is firing. As a result, the batteries may lose contact, causing the sight to shut off.

3. EOTech has qualified a new supplier of these battery contacts and the SOPMOD PMO is currently validating this new configuration through testing. By mid April 2008, this process should be complete. At that time, SOPMOD will institute a 100 percent replacement of the SU-231/PEQs that have already been fielded. Maintenance Contact Teams will travel to field units to either swap out the sights with replacements or conduct on-site field repairs. As an interim solution, the SOPMOD PMO is currently testing a field replaceable grommet that will mitigate the risk of failure. Pending test results, these grommets will be shipped as part of a field replacement kits to units that have been issued the SU-231/PEQ.

4. The SOPMOD PMO has ordered a halt on any further fielding of this item until sufficient testing has been performed on sights with the incorporated part upgrade. For those field units that have already received the SU-231/PEQ, the SOPMOD PMO strongly recommends not using those sights until they can be replaced or repaired.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    (ETA: i need to get out shooting...it's been too long...wanna meet me out at the club tomorrow and try out my eotech?)
    I wish I could make it out to the range. Or at least off the couch. I have been crushed with the flu this week. I actually missed IPSC on Thursday and can't make it to an NRA High Power Rifle class tomorrow that I really wanted to go to.

I hope that Hawk and Koli take good notes.

Back to scopes. It looks like Aimpoint and Eotech are the favorites, but do I really need to spend $400 or $500 for a red dot to be used inside 50 yards?

I am almost wishing I had gotten the A2 upper and could use the iron sights!
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Allegheny County)

Heh.

That's why it will be a Looooooong time before I have an optic for my AR.

That's like my gun budget for a year!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

sorry to hear you are under the weather...hope ya feel better soon.

check out the equipment exchange on ar15.com for deals on used eotechs/aimpoints/bushnell holosights. you can prolly get one (especially a bushnell) for much less than $300.

(btw, my eotech is a rev F and i have never had any problems with it, but i have read of some other problems in older revision like tony mentioned. i guess maybe some still have some issues. peronally, mine has been rock solid, though.)

(Beaver County)

I paid $325 for mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast