Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default One more out-of-state question

So I've given up (for now) on the idea of moving to PA, and will have to remain in NYC for a bit longer. I'm just starting the very intense process of applying for a pistol permit, and have found a couple interesting things.

1) I'm not allowed to even touch, let alone test, a pistol without the permit.

2) Even if I have LTCF in PA, I'm not allowed to take the pistol out of NYC at any time, for any reason.

The second has nothing to do with my question, I just was amazed that the law would have a problem with me removing a gun from the state!

My question is, am I allowed to shop for a pistol and actually hold it in my hand in PA? I already know it needs to be shipped to an FFL in NYC for me to pick it up. I'm looking, specifically, at some of the 1911s since they are still legal in NY, so if I can touch one in your state, recommendations on where to shop would be helpful, too. In PA, we live in Columbia County.

Thanks!

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Default Re: One more out-of-state question

Quote Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
    2) Even if I have LTCF in PA, I'm not allowed to take the pistol out of NYC at any time, for any reason.
    Kinda limits your options for shooting competitions, doesn't it. Is that a state or city rule?

My question is, am I allowed to shop for a pistol and actually hold it in my hand in PA?
    Yes, unless you are a prohibited person.

All I can is Wow!

The application fee for a handgun license is $340.00. Effective March 9, 2012, the fee for fingerprints is $91.50. These fees may be paid by credit card or with money orders when you submit your application. Money orders should be made payable to the “New York City Police Department.”
    Fingerprints here are free at the State Police and a carry license is $20 for five years. $340 to just have a gun in your house. Wow!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Kinda limits your options for shooting competitions, doesn't it. Is that a state or city rule?

Yes, unless you are a prohibited person.

All I can is Wow!

Fingerprints here are free at the State Police and a carry license is $20 for five years. $340 to just have a gun in your house. Wow!
    It's a city law. Can't take it out of the five boroughs. And the $340 is just for the application. Add another $94.50 for fingerprinting. You can only buy one gun with your permit, and you have to wait a year before you can apply again. Gotta love NYC - not!

Quote Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
    It's a city law. Can't take it out of the five boroughs.
    I saw on their web site that there is an exception for hunting in state. What about hunting out of state?

Next question, does the state care if you leave the five boroughs with it?

What would the penalty be if you leave the city?

Hypothetically speaking, what if you buy it with your outrageous city fees and then bring it to Pennsylvania and leave it at your property in Pennsylvania? What would NYC do? I'm 99% certain that no Federal or Pennsylvania laws would be broken.

(Pike County)

If you violate any on the NYC rules you will loose your permit. They are pretty aggressive.

Hunting can only be done on "approved state land" whatever that is.
    All of these restrictions have been imposed with the single goal of administrating you out of your firearms. Travel for competitions have stopped completely. The guys in the Local NYC clubs have been working tirelessly to get some resolution. As a former NYC resident, every time I cross the Delaware I feel like I just got out of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacked View Post
    If you violate any on the NYC rules you will loose your permit. They are pretty aggressive.
    If you lose your permit and the gun is already out of state, does it matter?

(Northampton County)

http://www.heritageguild.com/

I don't know how convenient a ride to Easton, PA would be for you. Heritage has about 75 different handguns to rent. The place is very nice only a little over a year old. Pretty crowded on weekends they get a lot of people from NJ. You could probably call and ask if they rent what you are interested in.
    Good luck, move when you can, we will be here waiting to welcome you to America.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Columbia County)

NYC follows the state laws, but also has its own set. You can (and I will) request an HAC - a Hunting Authorization card. But the NYPD are the regulators, and they don't much care if you have the card, or not. They don't want you taking the gun out of the city, and they can revoke your license pretty much at any time, for any reason.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    http://www.heritageguild.com/

I don't know how convenient a ride to Easton, PA would be for you. Heritage has about 75 different handguns to rent. The place is very nice only a little over a year old. Pretty crowded on weekends they get a lot of people from NJ. You could probably call and ask if they rent what you are interested in.
    Good luck, move when you can, we will be here waiting to welcome you to America.
    At this point, I'd be more than willing to make the drive. I really like the people at Dixie's (formerly Dugan's) in Hughsville, and bought my 7mm-08 there but they have a limited selection of handguns, and I'm sure they're not going to try an get a pricey 1911 in just so I can hold it.

(Centre County)

If you did everything you needed to do to have the gun in NYC, what happens if you move? Do you have to leave it behind? I think not, that is part of your personal possessions. You pack it up and move to PA. There is no registration in PA so when it comes into the state, it's in the state, what's NY/NYC going to do? How would they ever know?
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast