Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New to the forum and in need of help

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and about to purchase my very first carry/concealed gun for self defense.

I wear fitted clothes so I was shopping around for slim small 9mm gun.
    I've been eyeing Ruger LC9 and I really like the size, weight, and how it looks. I put a deposit down at my local gun store so I can get the first grab when they restock. I went back yesterday to practice shooting and seen LC9 in rental so I rented one to try it out.

As I expected, I love the size, weight and all the safety/warning features EXCEPT the trigger pull. It's so long/ I didn't have any trouble with target shooting though, all shots were pretty tight in one area with couple bullseyes so I was pretty satisfied. Weird thing is, I didn't like the trigger pull but at the same time, I really liked it for safety reasons. I hear its pretty impossible to go off if you have holster but I'm bit paranoid so I like extra safety for more peace of mind. Don't want it to go off and hurt someone or myself. :/

In dilemma with do I get LC9 and try to get better at shooting Double Action trigger faster with peace of mind when I'm just carrying it around (knowing its harder for it go off while its in my holster)? OR do I look for Single Action gun so I can protect myself better with faster shooting but be bit more paranoid while its in my holster? (My friends do tell me you do get over all that paranoia after you own your own gun)

Gun shop said I can use the deposit towards something else if I don't want to purchase the LC9. I really want it but I dont want to regret later.

Are there any other similar size 9mm guns that I should look at before I decide? I'm looking to spend around $400 - $500. I'm new to guns so I'm not sure whats good or not. If you guys can help me out, I'd appreciate it very much! Thank you in advance

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to the forum and in need of help

What else do they have to try out? Trying it before you shoot it is the best way to determine what will work for you.

(Montgomery County)

Try a springfield emp and never look back. I personally do not like any plastic guns.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by eddyb74 View Post
    What else do they have to try out? Trying it before you shoot it is the best way to determine what will work for you.
    They suggested I try Beretta Nano next time I go back. Also recommended looking into Sig P232 but they didnt have that in rental.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by k5blazerobsession View Post
    Try a springfield emp and never look back. I personally do not like any plastic guns.

EMP is sooooooooooo nice i love it

(York County)

Per above, shoot as many as you can. I can't stand The long DA only pull either, so i switched from a taurus pt111 to a sig p239. Never had any safety issues with a good holster. You'll pay for a sig, but I love mine! Don't be afraid to purchase one used either, your first won't be the one you carry forever.

(Perry County)

I was looking into an LC9 as well, but decided against it because of the long trigger pull. I've never shot one, but I have shot an LCP .380 which has a similar trigger to the LC9 and I didn't like it at all. I am currently torn trying to decide between a Kahr CM9 and a Smith and Wesson Shield9. Their triggers are very different, but both much better than the Ruger IMO.

I did also like the trigger on the Beretta Nano more than the LC9, but the thing that steered me away from the Nano was the lack of a slide release. You have to drop the mag to release the slide. I just didn't like the operation of that at all, but it is a personal preference thing to me.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Lycoming County)

I have not shot the Beretta Nano yet but it's flat and has a long trigger pull but smooth.
    The liberals won't be happy until they control you.

(Franklin County)

Try the Ruger SR9C.

It's a little bigger, but much different (better, in my opinion) trigger feel.