Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My first O/C experience

My first day Open Carrying

I first went to the Kachemak Gearshed(“Gearshed”) to pick up a nice holster which I could use for my gun while I wait for my Safariland 6287 and Bianchi belt. I entered the Gearshed and the current gun attendant helped me fit my gun. After I left and entered my car I configured the ambiguous holster to be placed on my right side and fit the strap to my gun. I decided to rack the slide and place the gun in the holster, getting the feel of how heavy the holster + gun + magazine. I put the holster on and it felt well, except my belt was 1” wide.

I went back to work and took the gun off, locked it in the car and covered it up. Later in the day after I accomplished a few tasks I went to go look for a better belt.

Ulmer's
    I went in for some thread and to see if they had any belts. I went to the counter in the fabrics department and they gave me the needles I asked for. She quickly handed them to me since I had a gun mounted to my side. I asked her where the thread was, she shown me where and left to the back room to work on the large loom or sewing machine she was using before I bothered her. I went to the belts, didn't find anything I liked or fit me so I went to pay for my items. The lady at the desk eyed my weapon for a minute, went kind of stupid on me and started registering my items on the machine. I paid and left.

The jeans store
    First I went to a jeans store which did have some belts, but I was unable to find what I was looking for in a belt. I asked the woman at the counter who was bending down to the floor organizing some items. She looked up, a did see a very small glare, but I believe she was no offended or afraid. She conversed with me those were the only belts in the store and I went to the other stores from there.

Nomar
    I went in to Normar and asked if they had any belts, the woman shown me some belts which I was uninterested in because they were not only 1”, but colorful little things lightly made. I asked her and got the same reply regarding other stores in the area. I left to my car and drove to the Kachemak Gearshed where I previously bought the holster.

Kachemak Gearshed
    I entered the store, asked the woman at the desk where the belts were. I didn't get any glare or eye response from here, they freely allow open carry without worry. I went to the belts, and was I looking at all the sizes. I did find the size which fit me, and was deciding which belt I wanted. *sigh*, one of the other gun attendants who helps run the store comes from behind and gives me a ticklish squeeze on my right side asking how I'm doing today. Had I not paid attention who was squeezing my ticklish area below my ribs I'd have hit him with the back of my arm. I'm just glad I didn't, heh... I'm sure he would have defriended me. I picked my belt, a 1 1/2” belt, which had a similar design to my old 1” belt. I proceeded to the counter and bought my item.

From here I went back to work.

Ulmer's
    Some time between then and the next item I went back to get a different colored thread. I went to go pay for the item at the same cashier and she kind of well.. it was a terrible fake smile. I pretended and gave her my smile which you can't tell is fake, paid and left.

An hour before the end of work I went to go get some fuel for my car, then I went to one of the grocery stores to get shield wiper fluid.

At the Gas station - Petro
    I went in to pay for the gas, money already in hand. The guy at the counter you could tell clearly he was afraid. He looked and smelled like fear. He quickly interrupted the person he was talking to and asked me what I wanted. I said, “35 in gas please”. He asked which pump then I proceeded to say the one on the other side of 1. “The Subaru?”, I said yes. He voice changed slightly, another sign of fear. He gave me 5 dollars back after I paid him and I went on my way.

Save-U-More (*cough* Cost-U-More)
    I went in to get windshield wiper fluids then proceeded to the checkout. There are 3 lanes, and the woman signaled me to go to the third lane. I wasn't sure if in Alaska I could be on the alcohol side so I told her and she said, “okay, I can check you out standing right here.” I proceeded to make my purchase then she decided to play 20 questions. “What is your job out of curiosity?” I work as an IT/Programmer, just another casual guy. “Ah, I see.. my boyfriend is a tech guy too, *girly chukle* I hope you don't mind me saying, but its funny... a geek with a gun.” I laughed at the joke anyway, since it always makes people settle easier. I quickly told her the DEA agent story as a counter joke, then told her it couldn't happen this this gun the same way since you need to squeeze the handle. “Just curious, what type of gun is it?” Springfield XD 45. She also asked if the glock had a safety so I told her about the trigger safety on the glock then went to proceed talking about my gun. I was pointing to the safety on the back of the gun with my finger and poking it while speaking to her. One of the other clerks came over out of interest in what I was saying. The person who came over kept staring at the gun. It was probably the most annoying feeling ever. I said thanks, I better go and proceeded out the door to my car. I filled the windshield fluid container and left.

I went back to work, it was after hours, to work the time I spent around town to balance out my hours. I left shortly after completing my tasks back home, grabbed my empty propane tank, and proceeded to the same gas station. There is still a great deal of daylight at 2000 hours, which is why I went back to town.

At the Gas station – Petro (time: about 2021)
    I entered the store again, with plenty of daylight, and asked if they could fill my propane tank. The answer they gave me was absolute bullshit. “Its too late in the day to fill the tank, sorry” *the attendant looked over and confirmed, “It was too late in the day” Even thought they close about 2200 hours. I've even had my tank filled later. What was the reason? They seen me with my gun earlier and didn't want to service me. I left for a different gas station from there.

The other gas station(non-Petro)
    I entered the gas station, the counter was high and she was not at the desk. The door bell rang when I came in and she walked to the counter so I asked her if she could fill my tank, “Sure, I'll meet you out there.” I brought the tank out sat it down. She met me there 20 seconds after and asked me, “Are you going to shoot me?” Now... I'm not sure if she is being serious or being humorous, people in Homer are really weird in the respect. I tell her the other gas station was rude and wouldn't fill my tank because they seen me earlier with a gun. She asked me the previously mentioned question. “No”, I said. We talk about propane tanks, living in Alaska, on-demand heaters, and talked some guy which acts macho marching around town with a gun and how she was not impressed. The latter topic was most likely a lie, older people do this to me when attempting to make a point. Then we talked about why I carried and I was trying to desensitize myself before making the jump to PA where I'd have to desensitize myself around a greater population if I didn't carry where I currently live. We went inside, I paid, we talked for another 5-10 minutes and I left. Before I knew it, the time made its way around to 2100 so she closed up after I left, which I do confirm is when they really close. I kept her a few minutes after 2100 on accident, she wanted to close and go home already, hehe.

Safeway
    From there I went to Safeway to pick up a couple fresh made pizzas I could throw in the oven. Bought the pizzas no trouble at all, the checkout clerks were too busy chitchatting away to notice the gun. Only when I pulled out my wallet the woman at the other checkout who was talking to the guy in the checkout fell silent. I paid, the guy said, “You saved 2.31 Mr Ross”( so much better than when they called me Mr Labs when my business name was Tsume Labs. I can't wait until I register Dancing Roo as a DBA. Mr. Roo ^_^). Anyway, I left then went home. Of course they chatted about my gun after I left, the people at the checkout must be the most vocal gossipers in the city.

The end of my first day open carrying. I think everyone did well, as much as I could expect a town like where I live anyway. I probably shouldn't have been poking the safety on the back at the handle on gun, you never know when some uneducated person might think that is the trigger. *rollseyes* I'm sure someone is that stupid... oops.. I mean uneducated of that caliber which don't know about guns.

Anyway, one day OCing, one more day closer to completely desensitizing myself, one more day closer to moving to PA.

*bark and eep* Hops away.
    Last edited by gunperson003; March 29th, 2008 at 04:39 AM. Reason: racked not cocked, Silly Roo!

(York County)

Default Re: My first O/C experience

What do you mean you COCKED the gun, then put it in your holster. You mean you RACKED the slide, therefore charging a round into the chamber of the weapon? I assume.... Or do you indeed carry with the hammer pulled back? I sure as hell hope not.

BB
    3%

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    What do you mean you COCKED the gun, then put it in your holster. You mean you RACKED the slide, therefore charging a round into the chamber of the weapon? I assume.... Or do you indeed carry with the hammer pulled back? I sure as hell hope not.

BB

Thanks, I didn't catch that. yes I mean racked. *correcting*

(Allegheny County)

Good job...

I'd suggest looking up some resources on Retention and Recovery training - I don't know how much would be available out where you live, but I know there are some good resources on the web where you can at least read and watch videos explaining it.

Retention is one of the larger concerns you have to worry about while OC'ing. That and situational awareness are highly important - never let your self get below condition Yellow on the White, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red awareness scale. Personally, I hardly ever get below Yellow except when I'm home - and sometimes not even then.

(Lackawanna County)

GP. Congrats on your 1st OC experience.
    And thanks for sharing.
    And…..speaking of sharing…..OC threads tends to spiral outta control on this board.
    Most times, I think that OC threads get hijacked/ambushed unexpectedly….and with very little warrant.

But your thread is the equivalent to a deer standing in the middle of an open field with a big “shoot me” bulls eye on it!
    I’m not trying to chastise you – just to make you aware that as many PAFOA brothers and sisters log in today…they’re gonna see stuff like this:

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    She quickly handed them to me since I had a gun mounted to my side.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    The guy at the counter you could tell clearly he was afraid. He looked and smelled like fear……. I said yes. He voice changed slightly, another sign of fear.

Gosh….I’m only gonna quote two of ‘em. As I read through your post…..there’s plenty of fuel in there to collapse what should be a positive 1st OC thread.

Remember when you talked about the chit-chatting checkout people? And how they probably gossiped about you and the gun for some time after you left? A LITTLE of what they gossiped is true….but much of will probably be speculation – hell, you only gave them very little fact to talk about.

Well, GP – what you did in this thread is speak for all those people you interacted. You spoke of their emotion, their feelings, their thoughts, etc…. when we (you), in fact, really DON’T know what they were thinking.
    Ya never know……one of those displeased or disgruntled looks that any of them served you COULD be because they were thinking “Ug….Not another Tupperware Pansy! Makes me sick! He shoulda bought a Sig.”

You don’t know.

Keep your posts coming. I always enjoy reading ‘OC accounts’ ...but some recipes get worse when you start adding uncalled-for spice.
    I ain’t calling you a liar – I’m saying deliver us the facts with little interpretation of them.

Otherwise…..sharks will circle the thread and move in. And if any shark were to go after any of the many statements you have in your OP….I’d find it difficult to defend.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

Hehe, well I suppose a bit of explaining should occur about the interpretation of the people I interacted with yesterday. I tend to be very manipulative by default. I like to manipulate people, it is "fun". Sometimes it bothers me so I don't look directly in peoples eyes, or look at them but let my eyes go out of focus so I cant see their face/eyes and try not to pay attention to how they're standing or moving their hands. I'm very good at manipulation, which is why I'm very good at IT work and dealing with people.

If I say the person was feeling a specific emotion, than there is a high chance the person was feeling or acting like I said. Though I do use the term, smell fear when you really can't, it is just an expression the person made his/her fear obvious.

Oh, I know the checkout people currently there well. They tend to get bored, watch people crash in the parking lot, stare, and gossip about it while working... How productive.

The only one who might have thought he should have bought a sig, is perhaps the woman at Cost-U-More, since she seemed to be really interested in guns, mainly because her husband.

So, yesh, I do know people. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    Remember when you talked about the chit-chatting checkout people? And how they probably gossiped about you and the gun for some time after you left? A LITTLE of what they gossiped is true….but much of will probably be speculation – hell, you only gave them very little fact to talk about.

Well, GP – what you did in this thread is speak for all those people you interacted. You spoke of their emotion, their feelings, their thoughts, etc…. when we (you), in fact, really DON’T know what they were thinking.
    Ya never know……one of those displeased or disgruntled looks that any of them served you COULD be because they were thinking “Ug….Not another Tupperware Pansy! Makes me sick! He shoulda bought a Sig.”

You don’t know.

(Luzerne County)

That's a lot of comments for your first outing.

I've OC'd occationally for years. I've OC'd regulalry, as in several times a week, for the last year+.
    Save for friends, or people that I am meeting for extended interaction...I have only twice been asked about my sidearm by employees or other patrons of establishments. Again, in the context of "strangers".

Once was a "gun guy" asking about the gun/holster. Another was a curious employee (why/legal/etc).

That's twice in more than as many years.

So I'm curious why you are getting more feedback than seems to be the norm.

This is a small city of 7k where the same people work the stores and tend to always see me around. If something changes they ask about it, if the wind changes direction they ask about it, I live in Mayberry... I guess its not so bad most people know each others even though the population is 7k.

I went to a ton of places, I just tend to pay attention to signals people send. When I was in Ulmers, people who were customers seen the gun would turn their head slightly and their face would go straight and/or they would be walking faster. To be honest I think some people in this town who go out and about are gunphobic. I've a client which doesn't know anything about guns, and she doesn't want to know. Therefore she says she doesn't like guns.... *sigh*

I was going to a bunch of places, I think many of the people acted as normal as they could. Many of the stores had young people at the cashiers desk. If one of them even mentioned the phrase, "Wow, thats a cool gun." I'd have given them a speech how they should rethink how to respond next time. Guns are not "cool", guns are for protection, sports, and other related means. Which I did chew a new hole to someone already when I was not OCing and talking about guns.

Here is a map of home, click on satellite if it is not already selected. It is a very small town. Most of the stores are on the two yellow roads which stop pretty much where the grey(buildings) stops.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...38702&t=h&z=13

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    That's a lot of comments for your first outing.

I've OC'd occationally for years. I've OC'd regulalry, as in several times a week, for the last year+.
    Save for friends, or people that I am meeting for extended interaction...I have only twice been asked about my sidearm by employees or other patrons of establishments. Again, in the context of "strangers".

Once was a "gun guy" asking about the gun/holster. Another was a curious employee (why/legal/etc).

That's twice in more than as many years.

So I'm curious why you are getting more feedback than seems to be the norm.
    Last edited by gunperson003; March 29th, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added map

(Northampton County)

I really liike to read these OC stories maybe one day I will try it.

But, I am not following something. You said you do not live in PA then you said your town is small and everyone knows what goes. Are you crossing the border to OC in PA, where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by jofreder View Post
    I really liike to read these OC stories maybe one day I will try it.

But, I am not following something. You said you do not live in PA then you said your town is small and everyone knows what goes. Are you crossing the border to OC in PA, where do you live?
    I put a link in my reply to Pa. I live in Homer, Alaska. I'm going to be moving to Pennsylvania in at unknown time.I'll be flying down to PA in June for a conference, meeting up with some old friends, meeting up with a new friend(dobe), going around and exploring Pittsburgh, and going around conversing with HR and business owners in town planning out a job in case I need it.

Yeah, I'm bringing my guns down to PA when I take my trip. I'm going to also stay for the 4th of July weekend.

Though, one thing I can't wait to go see, is the zoo. ^_^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast