Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Carry pistol, no hi-cap, ok?

New on the forum here.

Have several pistols; from a 9MM Bernardelli to a 1991A1, including a Kel-Tec P11 and a Kel-Tec 32. Just recently - during a range trip - my P11 started to hang-up. Found the problem was the slide assembly pin dislodging every 4 or 5 shots (working out of the frame). Source of the problem was the assembly pin hole in the frame enlarged from shooting.

So now I'm looking whether to keep the Kel-Tec P11 (when Kel-Tec returns it) or just trade it in and get a ??? Looking at Kahr, Ruger, maybe, MAYBE a Diamond. The LC9 and the Kahr P9 (?) interest me. 7 rounds total is large enough but I want to keep the weight light, the barrel at 3", and slim enough to carry without bother. The Kel-Tec P11 was about as big as I want to get for everyday carry, my job won't let me do much more than that.

There's opinions on every firearm no matter what but I'd like to hear preferences from anyone that's put several hundred rounds (at least) through their smaller pistol and still favor it. Nothing smaller than a 9MM. Maybe I'm not a manly man but a small 45 ACP for work/every day carry just doesn't go with me. If I'm not working the carry is an XD 45 ACP with a cross draw but it has a 4" barrel. thanks.

Sgt Steve

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carry pistol, no hi-cap, ok?

i carry a kahr p45 as my daily carry gun and have never had a issue with weight or keeping it concealed. surprisingly recoil is very mild with the p45 and accuracy is excellent for such a short barrel. i know you said you're not interested in a small 45 but if you can find a p45 to rent it may change you're mind. with that said i believe kahr produces the best small guns on the market and you can't go wrong no matter what model you choose. of course kahrs are not cheap so expect to pay over 500 for NIB.

Hokkmike Guest

Walther PPS in .40 or 9mm. I carry the .40. Has 5,6, 0r 7 round magazine.

(Bucks County)

I think you would like the P9 or PM9 better than an LC9...better triggers and lack of unnecessary "safety" features being the biggest advantages.

You will hear a lot of input suggesting the S&W Shield...haven't shot one but I have heard good things.

(Montgomery County)

Caliber choice has nothing to do with manliness. I carry mostly .38 special or .357 mag and am transitioning to 9mm as my carry round. I have a Kahr P9 and have put about 700 rounds through it and I am of the opinion that it is fantastic. I was able to get the P9 for a song and a dance because the barrel was pitted, the pitted barrel was replaced with a .5 inch longer factory barrel with a compensator cut in it. The accuracy is superb and the precision afforded the stock sights is impressive. I would dare say that the P9 shoots as well as my old HK P7!

I am due for posting up a pistol review here soon. I have the bigger steel brother of the P9 coming to my FFL, the veritable T9 pistol. I will probably do a review of both. However, for carry it is hard to beat the P9. Sure, they P9 costs more than the value version yet every cent is worth it. Today, the performance of ammunition in 9mm means there is little difference between the major defensive calibers. Load it up with some Critical Defense or Gold Dots, practice until you are awesome and walk with your head up high.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

As long as you have a couple spare mags, then low cap is fine, IMO. Ban or no ban, many people carry 1911's or other low round cap handguns. Training is more important than round count as far as I am concerned. With no to little training , a person has to rely on some angel dust as much as anything else, even with a high cap pistol. This is my opinion.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

I had a Taurus 709. Was a great gun. Decent sights. Decent Glock like trigger. Thin grip. Light weight.
    Ran flawlessly with any ammo I fed it.
    The blueing was a little thin though. You won't want to let the slide sit against your skin. So you need either an under shirt of a holster that has a body shield. Or the stainless.
    I highly recommend it. Great value. Much nicer than a PF9. Not as nice as a higher end Kahr, but I would take it over their low end offering.

The Kahr CW9 in a nice, compact, slender 7+1. Unlike the P9 it has standard rifling rather than the polygonal rifling, and only comes with a single mag, but they can be had for $399. The extra mag is less than $40.

I have a lot of faith in the Kahr CM9, CW9, and if you can afford it the P9. I also like the SR9c by Ruger. If you are going to pocket carry or deep conceal I like the P9 although the compact series by Ruger is just as good and a fine shooter.

Taurus PT 709 Slim with a stainless slide. Won't set you back more than $350 or so. Great gun, a few ounces heavier than a PF-9 with a MUCH better trigger. Similar size as many of the small autos, easily fits in my pocket or IWB, and I'm only 5'7" at a buck forty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast