Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Cool Re: Brass cleaning / polishing

Like I said I'm in the process of getting ready to do this stuff by myself without him but with his methods we never had trouble hitting groundhogs at 600-800+ yards.
    Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sounds like your dad was spot-on...

I suppose I could lube, size and deprime, tumble, trim, them prime only on the downstroke of the dillon press at stage one and then index the plate as normal.
    For my 7.62 x 51 (AIAW) I follow similar steps on all cases that have not been previously prepped and fired in this rifle: lube, resize/deprime, ream primer pocket, chamfer/trim, debur flash hole, prime only on stage 1, align prepped brass on a tray, precisely weigh and throw the powder for everything in the tray, seat the bullet at stage 3, and light crimp in stage 4. I run one round at a time on the shell plate when I do stages 3 & 4. Wipe off lube at end, inspect case, weigh, then box by weight.

May seem like a a lot of steps to some,but can't argue where the rounds print.
    - bamboomaster

(Blair County)

Default Re: Brass cleaning / polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Posit View Post
    When you take them out of the ultrasonic, rinse them first in a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid in the vinegar (I'm assuming you're using vinegar in your cleaning solution), then rinse them thoroughly in clear water.

I cover the baking pan with foil before I put the cases on it and into the oven. Keeps everyone healthy and happy.
    Well ATM I am using the Hornady solution that came with the cleaner, Its some kind of green soap.
    I hadnt thought of lead getting into my oven, but I am using the oven in the basement and so far have never used it for food. Would there be enough lead to worry about if Im only doing 223 FMJ bullets? I use an old rusty cookie sheet wrapped in foil.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Well ATM I am using the Hornady solution that came with the cleaner, Its some kind of green soap.
    I hadnt thought of lead getting into my oven, but I am using the oven in the basement and so far have never used it for food. Would there be enough lead to worry about if Im only doing 223 FMJ bullets? I use an old rusty cookie sheet wrapped in foil.
    Frankly, I don't know if you could have lead residue in your oven. I wouldn't think so, but then I didn't think Obama could possibly get reelected, so WTH do I know?

Most people use a water, vinegar & dish soap cleaning solution in ultrasonics, which is what I was referring to.

(Blair County)

Yeah, ive read about making your own solution, the lead thing was the guy who posted before you told me using your oven could cause lead poisoning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123