Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default My CC experience

I am a new owner of a LTCF and still trying to find good holsters for my guns. I ran out of money for guns so I could not get a good sub Compact but I have an XD-9 4" and a 1911 GI 5". I have a Serpa for the Xd and a desantis thumb break for the 1911. The desantis holds it very close to the body which I really like and the Serpa is comfortble but prints easily. Either way these are not great for CC. I am wearing large fleeces which cover nicely or jackets since it is still chilly. I did order a Supertuck just need to wait for it.

I have been trying to carry as much as I can but I have found myself so concerned that the gun is printing that I am looking at everyone and I think they are all looking at me cause "they must know I have a gun". Later I realize they are looking at me cause I am scanning the public and looking at all of them. I am keeping my right arm down and feel so preoccupied about making sure no one sees it. The psycological effect is really something I had not anticipated. And it is not that I am worried if I could use my gun but if people around me know I have it. I realize I am not doing anything wrong but 35 years of living in Jersey really needs to be erase.

Well, just wanted to share my beginning experience maybe some one else has or had the same issue. I am sure I will get more use to it and stop caring so much as I continue to carry.

Default Re: My CC experience

I think most everybody feels like that at first. You've got to get used to the gun.

Do you carry around the house? I hope so, but if not start doing so. Wear it all the time. Go out in the woods or something where there aren't so many people about, etc. Just get used to wearing the gun. It'll become something you don't even notice.

Most people wouldn't know what they are seeing even if you were printing. They will notice if you clamp your arm down on it, if you keep reaching to check on it, if you look jumpy or nervous for some reason. Just think of like a wallet: something you don't pay attention to until you need it.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Westmoreland County)

Don't worry about it, just carry thats what i say. carrying a full size concealed it's going to print. mine does all the time. half the time i just walk around with grips hanging out and noone ever says anything to me about it.

Bastard Child

(Pike County)

Joe is right, wear it all the time and it will help you get used to it. If you do not have a good heavy belt to use with it you will need to get one when you can, it will help with holding the gun steady. Remember that both of the guns you have a on the big size, you may want to get something smaller for a BUG, or for when deep carry is needed. Good luck, you will adjust to it soon enough.

(Allegheny County)

yeah...everyone feels very conspicuous at first. that feeling will go away with time and eventually carrying your gun will feel as natural as carrying your wallet. if you carry everyday, you will probably get to the point where you actually feel uncomfortable without it.

the truth is that nobody notices your gun. you could duct tape it to your forehead and most people wouldn't notice it.

well..that might be exaggerating a bit, but...

(Berks County)

When I first started CCing I thought everyone knew what I had! The first time I walked into Wallmart with it I could swear that the 75 year old blue smock greeter lady was ready to pounce on me when she asked me if my son wanted a sticker! After CCing for a while now putting on my pistol is like putting my cell phone in my pocket. I don't think anything of it and I don't feel like everyone is "watching" me. The same will happen with you if you CC on a regular basis. Like others have said CC all the time, even in your home, and you will get used to it quick.

But do be careful of that lady at the door at Wallmart.....I bet she is stronger than she looks....

(Dauphin County)

I feel the same way, im 21 and faily new to to CC, and i i do the same things, until i got my self a good CC holster. I opted for the crossbreed super tuck IWB, and they will make them for what ever gun you have. I also went out and bought a small gun (kel tec p11) and a desantis pocket holster, for the times i can CC with my bigger gun. Im starting to get used to it more and more it will just take time.

(Venango County)

yeah, it feels that way when you first start carrying, I am carrying my G22 in a serpa every day, these days.........

but it will get better as you go

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

I understand how you feel, and I felt much the same way when I started carrying - then I realized that most people don't even notice.

Also, don't worry about printing, or even showing - remember, this is Pennsylvania - there is nothing that stipulates that the firearm must remain concealed.

(Pike County)

It must be true, the more i cc the less conspicuos I feel. it could be the fact that i went to a DeSantis shoulder rig (BTW, for all the M&P compact owners -- the DeSantis holster for the xd9 fits the M&P9 Compact like a glove. Just tighten the adjustment screw way down) instead of a belt type holster. It works for me and when you find something that works for you you will know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast