Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default remington model 6

i have a remington model 6 it was a rifle but now its looks like a pistel is this a kit for this gun or did some one just change it to be this way. did they cut the barrel down or did any come this way. they put a pistel grip on it to thanks for any help peter

(Centre County)

Default Re: remington model 6

Peter Wade SR:
    Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): I believe you are treading on quicksand, my friend. You need to do your research and do it quickly.

More educated readers, please correct me if I am wrong, but I wish to spare the OP any BATF transgressions. If the firearm in question was originally a rifle, and the barrel was cut down to pistol size (<16 inches), then you now have a short barreled rifle and that is a NFA/class 3/title II (not sure which??) weapon that requires much additional paperwork, registration and money(forgive my ignorance of the specific details).

I would suggest you quickly check with the manufacturer with the serial number to see what the original configuration was.
    The folks in the NFA/class 3/title II forum may be better able to help.

All the best,

(Indiana County)

You either have a legal Remington XP100 pistol,
    or a legal pistol built on a virgin Remington receiver (assuming they sold bare receivers),
    or an XP100 with a replacement barrel made from a Mod 6 rifle barrel (if it is stamped Mod 6 on it),
    or you have a highly illegal short barreled rifle (unless you have the proper paperwork which I doubt since if you did you would not be asking such a question).

Google XP100 Remington to see if that is what you indeed have, if not, I am not a lawyer and cannot tell you what to do with it.

(Centre County)

39 Flathead,
    Thank you for explaining it better than I did.

Peter Wade SR,
    I think it should be easy to figure out the answer.

The XP100 is a bolt action handgun that has many variations but may look something like this picture:

or perhaps like this picture:

(Google "Remington XP 100 and select "images" in the top left of the screen to see photos of many of the variations of this firearm).

The Remington Model 6 is a rolling block rifle that most likely looked something like this:

(See: http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington_...gblock_no6.htm)

If what you have is indeed a Short Barreled Model 6, and you don't have appropriate paperwork, than I agree with 39flathead that you are likely in possession of an unlawful firearm.

I also am not a lawyer and cannot tell you what to do with it.

Perhaps you should formally discuss this with an attorney who is well versed in firearms law. That way you are protected by the confidentiality of the lawyer/client relationship.

Again, I am not an attorney, but to the best of my limited knowledge, I believe that anything you post online can be subpoenaed as evidence in court.

All the best,

(Centre County)

Just found this:
    Here is a response to a similar question posted on the bulletin board at the Remington Society of America.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/foru...php?f=2&t=1831

Again,
    All the best,

(Centre County)

Here's what appears to be some good information as to how one might legally acquire a short barreled rifle (SBR) if that is what the firearm in question turns out to be.

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...a-jaybell.html

Cheers,