I'm "thinking" of purchasing a single action revolver in .45 Colt. This won't be a Blackhawk, or Super Blackhawk (*cough*this time*cough*), so I won't be able to load the super stout loads. The gun I have in mind is a New Vaquero. With the price of .45colt as high as it is, it'll eat reloads almost exclusively.

I'm looking into various powders, and bullet weights. I'd like to send 250gr lead at or around 900ft/s. Most loads will probably be more towards 750 to 850 ft/s, if I can manage those sorts of load with any accuracy.

I reload .45acp using Bullseye, but have already crossed that powder off my list of possibilities as I think it burns to fast for the big case. The Nosler reloading manual I have lists w231, Herco, and Bluedot amongst others. These loads are all listed in the 600-800ft/s range. Trail boss looks promising, as it's supposed to meter well, and not be position sensitive.

So, anyone here have any first hand experience reloading 45colt in "cowboy" loads? What powders do you use? What bullet weights? Anything I should avoid?