Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: 5.56 ammo at Dicks

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    Hey, chide me all you want, they're selling that item at what has to be close to cost.

Besides, I haven't exactly pulled the trigger on it yet. It's hardly a "need" item.
    Never worth it. I hated walking in that store before the hypocrisy. Just soooo... Corporate.. Setup for people who are excited by a shitty selection and like buying guns from high school kids who have no idea what they're talking about.

Gander is 9,000 times better. I also wouldn't buy any gun stuff from amazon if you can help it after they sponsered a gun buyback program.

I'm a retail analyst for several large fund management companies. Besides playing with math all day, I spend ALOT of time inside retail stores, including DKS. I know stats about these stores that employees willingly give away, I know their operations inside and out. It's my job.

I can tell you that the average DKS has daily revenues of 24k. The Lodge, the part of the store where men go, has about 14% average penetration in a Dick's. The loss of most of the ammo category and most of the gun category, plus the ancillary purchases like cleaning supplies, cases, boxes, optics, and gear may cut that by half. Add to that many of the shoppers of the above listed categories also shop archery, airsoft, fishing, camping, and you get the picture. This is not going to go well for DKS. This is one case where our pressure will actually have a significant dollar effect. Half of 14% is 7%, and in the current economy, any retailer that willingly gives up 7% of topline is committing suicide. Especially one like DKS, who just recently in q3 finally posted an operating cash flow that was positive, compared to last year when it was negative nearly 100m. For a quarter.

The company's average ticket not counting the lodge is 29$. The average ticket in the lodge is 91$. It's not all about soccer moms there, believe me.

The Ruger 10-22 (in both wood and synthetic) is their top seller in the firearms category. It's been pulled. The .22 ammo is their top seller in the ammunition category. It's been sold out and orders are cut in 90% of stores.

Keep up the pressure on these dickbags. They will feel it. On their next conference call, there is planned discussion on this very issue and its significant impact. Four of the funds I do work for are major holders in that company, and they are not pleased with this current business strategy.

F them.

Fourty six I hope you tell them that they are being boycotted and the reasons why! Thanks for the great info. As for the future of Dicks i hope they fail. If they change and go back to the way it was, I would no longer Boycott the store. I am sure others feel that way as well, but not all of them.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post
    I also wouldn't buy any gun stuff from amazon if you can help it after they sponsered a gun buyback program.
    FYI not everything on Amazon is sold by them - although I'm sure they get a cut. For instance, the stock I posted is sold by a company called Reliable Values - via Amazon.com.

(Lawrence County)

maybe we should all go use dicks restroom,,,,,,,,,,,,floor, to "express" what we think of them now?

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Fourty six I hope you tell them that they are being boycotted and the reasons why! Thanks for the great info. As for the future of Dicks i hope they fail. If they change and go back to the way it was, I would no longer Boycott the store. I am sure others feel that way as well, but not all of them.
    I just report, I don't make policy. I tell them what I see in the store, what I hear in the store. When I report that I see people going the other way empty handed when I walk in, that's a bad report. When I see shelves empty and the excuse is that *the company* made us put those in the back room, that's a bad report. When a certain location loses a 10 year employee and department supervisor over a policy change (in an economy where quitting your job over a personal conviction actually means something), that's a bad report.

Personally, I don't hold grudges against companies. If they make mistakes and fix them, I will unboycott. I've done it many times. Should DKS undo the things they've done (and the next conference call may force them to do so), I'd go back. They are close to me, and for sundries they have reasonable prices and always have what I go there for. If I want anything good I go to LGS or online. But now, I only go there for work, and don't buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by fortysix View Post
    I just report, I don't make policy. I tell them what I see in the store, what I hear in the store. When I report that I see people going the other way empty handed when I walk in, that's a bad report. When I see shelves empty and the excuse is that *the company* made us put those in the back room, that's a bad report. When a certain location loses a 10 year employee and department supervisor over a policy change (in an economy where quitting your job over a personal conviction actually means something), that's a bad report.

Personally, I don't hold grudges against companies. If they make mistakes and fix them, I will unboycott. I've done it many times. Should DKS undo the things they've done (and the next conference call may force them to do so), I'd go back. They are close to me, and for sundries they have reasonable prices and always have what I go there for. If I want anything good I go to LGS or online. But now, I only go there for work, and don't buy anything.
    I hope you make it Crystal clear, that the Boycott is causing the hurt on the bottom line!!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I hope you make it Crystal clear, that the Boycott is causing the hurt on the bottom line!!
    I don't think he can report that, because I don't think it's true. I think dicks voluntarily stopping the sale of the guns hurt their bottom line.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    As someone else mentioned, I think it's interesting that they will still sell the ammo, but not the rifles. They can keep it.
    There are plenty of rifles other than the AR-15 that use .223 rounds.

Rockledge, Abington Township, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)

I don't know about the stores near you, but I can tell you that the one near me does not seem to be hurting. When I was in there, there were people buying, and as for the ammo, they were almost sold out of everything, so SOMEBODY is buying it.

I used to buy my ammo from them, and did so again today. That is the only thing that I've bought from them. Not everybody has the time and/or money to waste going from shop to shop to see what ammo they have left or not.

Everybody is talking about the upcoming 'revolution' and that they will stand their ground for their rights. How many will ACTUALLY DO IT ?
    I WILL fight to the death if it comes to that, but without ammo, what good will it do and how far will I get?? Not everybody stockpiled hundreds if not thousands of rounds, including me. Then when the SHTF, everybody was left scrambling to find what they could. If that involves buying from the 'enemy', then I will do so. Just as I would take the ammo from the enemy that I just killed in battle.

Scorn me all you want, I want to be just as prepared as the rest.
    Vice President and Board Member of Philadoptables; Friends of the Philadelphia Animal Control Shelter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast