Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Venango County)

Default Carrying shotgun for defense in woods

Hey all,

I should preface this by saying that I am not a hunter. I do, however, have a LTCF. Therefore, I do not know many laws/regulations regarding hunting. Pardon the ignorance...

But I do a lot of hiking in the woods, and I'm thinking about buying a shotgun to use as bear defense (as well as home defense....considering Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and even Interstate Arms)

The topic was lightly covered in this thread (http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...ile-woods.html)

What are your thoughts on the topic? I'm just a little apprehensive to do it, if I don't have a hunting license and a warden pops out of nowhere and gives me beef for poaching or something. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Carrying shotgun for defense in woods

not a good idea without a hunting license. illegal too. get a hunting license and then it is legal. you can always say you are hunting coyote since it is open 7 days a week, 24hrs a day. or if you have a ltcf just load a 357 with bear loads and be legal

(Luzerne County)

1) It's not illegal

2) You don't need a hunting license to carry it for defense

3) It's not practical, a handgun would be better. Are you going to be hiking with it in your hands, slung over your shoulder, carrying it strapped to your pack, etc?

4) And before someone says you will be accused of hunting, the mere possession of a firearm is NOT the basis for determining whether or not a person is hunting.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    1) It's not illegal

2) You don't need a hunting license to carry it for defense

3) It's not practical, a handgun would be better. Are you going to be hiking with it in your hands, slung over your shoulder, carrying it strapped to your pack, etc?

4) And before someone says you will be accused of hunting, the mere possession of a firearm is NOT the basis for determining whether or not a person is hunting.
    Thanks!
    I couldn't imagine it being illegal...
    At first I was looking at handguns, but it just seems that in order to get enough firepower to stop a bear, my wallet would be hurting a lot more than it would be with a shotgun. I wouldn't mind carrying it slung over my shoulder really.

(Chester County)

totally legal. no license required. you can carry it anywhere as long as its not loaded in a vehicle

(Carbon County)

go walk around with a loaded shotgun and see what the cops say. i can assure you will have some problems.

Yer gonna lug an 8lb shotty around with you to spray what at a bear? 00 Buck? And, just because you come across a bear does not mean it's a shooting situation. You'll get more odd looks from people wondering why you have a shotty slung over your shoulder. Why bring trouble on yourself?

How about pepper spray?

http://www.rei.com/product/623173/co...nt-spray-81-oz

(Lancaster County)

If you're concerned about wallet pain then go with a Taurus .44 Mag, they can be found used pretty affordably and even the new price isn't bad.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Luzerne County)

Off all the times I've been in the woods and seen bears, the bears are more frightened of me, than I am of them. All have taken off for the hills when they saw me.

I'm more worried about two legged animals in the woods than I am of anything with four legs.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by CL3 View Post
    Yer gonna lug an 8lb shotty around with you to spray what at a bear? 00 Buck? And, just because you come across a bear does not mean it's a shooting situation. You'll get more odd looks from people wondering why you have a shotty slung over your shoulder. Why bring trouble on yourself?

How about pepper spray?

http://www.rei.com/product/623173/co...nt-spray-81-oz
    What, don't think slugs would take care of a bear in a close range situation? I've heard differently...
    Perhaps I should have phrased it differently then- I'm not going to shoot a bear just because I see one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast