Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Kahr CM9 vs S&W Shield 9mm

I am looking for a single stack 9mm. I think I've narrowed my search down to a CM9 or a Shield in 9mm. Thoughts between the two? Obviously the grip on the Shield is a bit thicker than the Kahr, making the shield not fit in a pocket as well but I doubt that IWB concealability would be much different between the two. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations between the two?

Another question I had was how they measure width - frame vs slide etc? The Shield is listed as .05" wider (.95 vs .9), and I believe that but the Bersa Thunder .380 I currently have is listed as being 1.3" wide and I don't buy that at all compared to the Shield based purely on feel.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Kahr CM9 vs S&W Shield 9mm

Your talking a pretty significant price diffence between the two. Just finding a Shield that's for sale and that is not hundreds overpriced is going to be a difficult task. I've had the opportunity to shoot both pistols and they both have remarkable triggers for such small DAO pistols.

(Allegheny County)

I own a Kahr CM9 and absolutely love it.Here is the info requested...

http://www.genitron.com/Compare/Selected-List.aspx
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by AYOUNG View Post
    Your talking a pretty significant price diffence between the two. Just finding a Shield that's for sale and that is not hundreds overpriced is going to be a difficult task. I've had the opportunity to shoot both pistols and they both have remarkable triggers for such small DAO pistols.
    MSRP of the Shield is actually a good bit lower than the Kahr. I had both the Kahr and Shield in my hand today at the same shop (granted both were 40 instead of 9mm) but their prices were basically reversed. The Shield was $500 and the Kahr was a little over $400... The MSRP of the Shield is $450 whereas the Kahr is over $500. I guess the Shield was just so high because they are so hard to find right now, but that seems like it was a really good price on the Kahr....
    Last edited by imp81318; January 26th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Northampton County)

i have a kahr pm9 i like it alot but i haven't shot the shield yet i would recommend buying a pm9 over a cm9 in a kahr. you can find them used for a little more than a new cm9 goes for. i haven't herd anything bad about the shield thew one thing to keep in mind is the both have two totally different triggers so thats something to factor in to your choice to

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    MSRP of the Shield is actually a good bit lower than the Kahr. I had both the Kahr and Shield in my hand today at the same shop (granted both were 40 instead of 9mm) but their prices were basically reversed. The Shield was $500 and the Kahr was a little over $400... The MSRP of the Shield is $450 whereas the Kahr is over $500. I guess the Shield was just so high because they are so hard to find right now, but that seems like it was a really good price on the Kahr....
    Thats interesting, I bought my CM9 for $425 and I have seen them all in that vicinity and any Shield I have seen was a tad bit more. But you are right now because of scarcity the Shield is jacked up now. I like my CM9 but have never shot the Shield, but it looks nice...I am sure you can't go wrong with either.

(Allegheny County)

We own 2 9mm shields.

I was thinking the Kahr CM9 (i believe) was going to be a better gun as I have heard a lot about Kahr guns. So I tried one at a range after shooting my 9mm shield. I did not like the feel (felt the muzzle flipped more and couldn't recover on target as easily) and trigger when shooting it and didn't even want to finish shooting through the magazine- for me I am so glad I bought the shield. It just felt so much better for me. Again, everyone is different and I am sure others prefer the Kahr.

(Chester County)

The shield is a bigger gun so, range time will be a little more pleasurable. That said, while small, the shield does not conceal as well. The Kahr is about as small and reliable as you can get in the 9mm. I am currently considering the Kahr but, have yet to make up my mind. I currently CC a Glock 27 and am looking for something smaller for deep conceal with lighter clothing. Can't decide if I want to go mouse gun (380) or, small 9mm with a lil extra heft. I've owned the Db9 (hated it) and Sig P238 (loved it except im a leftty). For some reason the CM9 keeps calling my name though.

(Bucks County)

My fault I got the cm9 and pm9 confused.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walnutz View Post
    while small, the shield does not conceal as well.
    Why do you say that, and what are you comparing it to?

Yes, a CM9/PM9/MK9 conceals better, but that's because it IS smaller than a Shield. The price you pay for that is one less round and a shorter barrel.

Other considerations:

* The trigger feel of a Kahr is quite different than of a Shield. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but they are very different.

* The polymer-framed Kahrs have a slightly sketchy reputation. Some work great out of the box, others need a few hundred rounds of break-in before they're really reliable, and some end up going back to Kahr once or twice before they're right. OTOH, Shields seem to have an outstanding reputation for reliability.

* The Shield has a manual safety. The Kahr does not.

Full disclosure: I've owned a Kahr MK9 for many years and often carry it. I also have a Kahr P380, but rarely carry it. I would buy a Shield on the spot if I ever came across one in stock at a reasonable price.
    Molon Labe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast