Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Another Reason To Clean After Every Trip To The Range

Or...."don't be careless like me"

Went to the range last weekend (Wexford Game Lands). It had warmed up a little but in the shade and under the shelter it was cooler than I expected after spending the day in the winter sun earlier.

I was there about 45 minutes before packing up. After loading 6 rounds at a time, I was still surprised at the difficulty in loading the 15 rd mags for my G19. I attributed it to the cold and my fingers not willing to work too well, but eventually got all 15 in...racked the slide and off I went.

I decided to use some downtime today to clean the Glock and the Shield. I pulled out the Glock, dropped the mag and cleared the chamber. I went to reload that one round into the mag and it was difficult but it went in.

Knowing the feel of the gun...I knew it just wasn't right. I actually wondered if I had miscounted and jammed a 16th in. So popping them off and counting one...two...three....................

four wouldn't come out. I look and eventually ease it out and with it pops out a staple from the staple gun I used to hang my targets.

I am so pissed at my carelessness. The cold had been distracting to me. I actually left because i felt i wasn't being sharp enough and in my carelessness, I could've caused a real problem.

So....moral of the story...(as if you guys need it): There's nothing wrong with routinely checking the functionality of something you normally have 100% faith in.

Default Re: Another Reason To Clean After Every Trip To The Range

Quote Originally Posted by tvtog View Post
    So....moral of the story...(as if you guys need it): There's nothing wrong with moving to FL and routinely checking your equipment.
    Fixed it for ya.

Well, that's kind of a rare thing to happen, though I have dug lint and a button out of magazines. If it had tried to chamber, it likely would have jammed, so I would be too hard on yourself. Call it your Mulligan for the year.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Interesting. I always do an empty/function test when I return home because each pistol has a designated storage place and load. Never realized that might save me some problems next time at the range.

Separately, I bought a CZ 75 B yesterday, and for the first time saw cleaning advice like this in a firearm manual:

"Clean your pistol:
    - Each time you use it,
    - If you get your pistol wet,
    - As soon as possible after shooting,
    - (and 2 others related to in-storage)

If the pistol has not been fired or if only a few cartrdges have been fired, clean the barrel bore and cartridge chamber with a clean patch attached to the [included] cleaning rod. Repeat the cleaning, changing patches, until the last patch comes out clean.

When the barrel bore is very dirty, apply a gun cleaning solution . . . [the rest is more or less as you would expect.]"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    If it had tried to chamber, it likely would have jammed, so I would be too hard on yourself.

Sounds like it was his EDC since he reloaded it to capacity before leaving the range. In the event it was needed, round #4 jamming could have been catastrophic.

Thanks for the reminder to routinely check our gear...

(Bucks County)

Funny you mention this today. I went through a few mags in my 1911 the other day. I was carrying my spare mags in my pocket for convenience.
    I chew on mint toothpicks for laughs and to pass the time. Hey, there are worse habits. Anyway, if there are womenfolk around I don't like to spit in front of them. so, instead of launching a chewed up mess of minty wood pulp, somethimes I just slide it into my pocket, and clean it out later. If I forget, the dryer screen catches it, then I catch hell from the Mrs.
    Where was I? Oh yeah, about three round into the second mag I dug out of my pocket, I get a 'fail to feed'. I rack the slide back on the 1911 and there it is: a tiny little birds nest of minty wood chips. Yep, my nasty little toothpick addiction would have gotten me killed in a firefight! Lesson learned. Storing that shit in the other pocket now!

(Bucks County)

Why in my routine of loading up for the day admin reload is one of my functions...as well the same at the night when i put it by my side...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    Sounds like it was his EDC since he reloaded it to capacity before leaving the range. In the event it was needed, round #4 jamming could have been catastrophic.

Thanks for the reminder to routinely check our gear...
    Exactly. Not worried so much about a next trip to the range....It is my EDC and if I had needed #4 in a defensive situation, I could've been screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    Well, no one wants to use their gun as a boomerang. I believe it is why he started the thread and I used the term "Mulligan" since all is well. Personally, if it didn't feel right, I'd have fixed it on the spot, but who wants to kick a man when he admits he's down? Here's what happens when something ain't right but you force the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Funny you mention this today. I went through a few mags in my 1911 the other day. I was carrying my spare mags in my pocket for convenience.
    I also carry a spare 1911 mag in my pocket, in a knife holder. Buy one of those cheap, nylon, knife/maglight holders. Try several for size. Mine fits perfectly. Cut off the flap covering the top. Cut to height needed, melt the raw ends with a lighter. Some have belt loops on the back. Cut one or two of the stitches, the rest will pull out and remove said loop. Works great for keeping debris out of a mag for like, 2-3 bucks.