Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default $7 1911 mags gone

A few months ago I couldn't spit without finding 7 round 1911 mags for 7 or 8 bucks a piece, now the cheapest are 13 bucks that I can find. What the heck happened? The regular GI mags were great...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Berks County)

Default Re: $7 1911 mags gone

Uh... Newtown whipped everyone into a frenzy.

Those $7 mags are still out there, it's just that now, the vendors are pricing them at $13 because they think they can find a buyer at that price given the threat of potential legislation. It's the market at work, and the best way to find those $7 mags again is for everyone to chill out and stop panic buying. Reduce the demand, and prices go down.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Centre County)

I think shooters failed to vote in November.

Why people are panic buying a 7 round magazine is beyond me.....a 1911 is NOT a canadiate for any potential ban, and any magazine limit is restricted to 10 rounds.....so I wouldnt be worried.

(Northampton County)

No offense intended but is it really worth buying a $7 mag? It's certainly possible that I overpay, but I've only used high end mags in my .45. I always feared that cheap mags wouldn't be as reliable as the higher end stuff. My cheap magazines have been Chip McCormick's and my preferred mags are from Wilson Combat. Seems like cheap insurance to me.

That being said, my .45 was built as a competition gun and may be more picky as a result.

(Lehigh County)

$7 1911 mags? I wouldn't trust them. Most are in the $35- $60 range.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by sl315 View Post
    $7 1911 mags? I wouldn't trust them. Most are in the $35- $60 range.
    Sure, if you want to be snobby about it.

My $10 7rd SA mags, $15 8rd ACT mags, $25 Power 10 mags run perfectly fine.
    Right now, those 10 rounders from MidwayUSA are a steal. The same mags are selling in a 3 pack on Brownells for like 120 or something.
    Edit: They're actually 132.99 for the 3 pack, 32.99 if you buy them alone. I actually just bought another from Midway just now and with shipping it was like $29.

I could never justify spending $60 for something as generic as a 1911 mag. It's comparable to women buying expensive purses, they perform the same function, why spend so much on it?

Granted, if you're buying a no-name knock off, what else would you expect but crap?

1911 mags are not HK or Walther mags, those things are ridiculously overpriced.
    Last edited by SAB215; January 27th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
    “Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.” - George Orwell, 1984

(Erie County)

I've learned that the cheaper magazines are not always the best magazines, unless you use them specifically for range work. I used to use the cheaper GI magazines in my 1911, and they worked great, until the bottom welds on two of them failed, both in the same match, dumping all of my rounds out the bottom of the pistol.

Since then, I switched to using Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines in my 1911's. I purchased mine for roughly $15.00 a piece, and they have been absolutely reliable to date.

Till the current feeding frenzy dies down, it's going to be hard to find most firearms accessories at low prices. With the recent crazy laws enacted by NY state, and their 7-round magazine capacity limits, it's going to be even harder to find low priced 7-round 1911 magazines of any kind.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by SAB215 View Post
    ...$15 8rd ACT mags,
    A word of warning: Watch out with those ACT mags. My RIA came with an ACT mag, and after just a couple hundred rounds, the baseplate failed at the range while I was shooting, dumping my remaining rounds on the ground. Perhaps I just got a bad one, but first impressions are hard to break, and I haven't touched one since.

I am perfectly happy with my $25 Chip McCormick mags.
    Everyone should have an AK-47

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    A word of warning: Watch out with those ACT mags. My RIA came with an ACT mag, and after just a couple hundred rounds, the baseplate failed at the range while I was shooting, dumping my remaining rounds on the ground. Perhaps I just got a bad one, but first impressions are hard to break, and I haven't touched one since.

I am perfectly happy with my $25 Chip McCormick mags.
    The feed lips are prone to cracking as well...I had 2 out of 6 crack, one failed completely and tied the gun up during a match. They function really well....until they totally fail on 'ya.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast