Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bad 7.62x51 Ammo

If you shoot any surplus 7.62x51 ammo Please read this article.

While looking for ammo I came acrossed this article about bad 7.62 ammo. My computer skills are not much account so if someone could post a link it would be much appreciated. The article is on The Gun Zone and comes up if you search for .308 & 7.62x51.

Sorry that I can not get a link as this was really scary stuff.

I was doing a lot of business in surplus arms and ammo when the ammo discussed in this article was being sold. We purchased several cases and were lucky that the only problem was a locked back bolt on a M1A. We tore down some that was marked RE-Engrastada(sp) and found what looked like 2 or 3 different powders and marks on the bullet from pulling at least once. We received several registered letters from the distributors and shipped back all that we could find for a refund. From the article there was still some of this around up to 2009.
    Last edited by phill; January 25th, 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Bad 7.62x51 Ammo

Did you mean this article?
    http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

2009 Update
    As recently as October 2009, rounds from the suspect "CBC 7.62 75" lot were still out there and causing catastrophic failures, most recently Columbus Day weekend in the NorthEast. The ammunition, 60 rounds of which had been purchased the previous month from a small gun shop in upstate New York, claimed a brand new Springfield M1A on its first shot out of the box.

Century International Arms, which had originally sold the CBC rounds to the gun shop in 1991, has so far been unresponsive to the unhappy M1A owner; this report will be updated as new information is available.

Default Re: Bad 7.62x51 Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    Did you mean this article?
    http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

2009 Update
    As recently as October 2009, rounds from the suspect "CBC 7.62 75" lot were still out there and causing catastrophic failures, most recently Columbus Day weekend in the NorthEast. The ammunition, 60 rounds of which had been purchased the previous month from a small gun shop in upstate New York, claimed a brand new Springfield M1A on its first shot out of the box.

Century International Arms, which had originally sold the CBC rounds to the gun shop in 1991, has so far been unresponsive to the unhappy M1A owner; this report will be updated as new information is available.
    Thank You that is the article I was trying to load. The labs. at the time were talking about chamber pressures off the scale. Springfield was one of those who got the info. out.

Thanks Again
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne