Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 vs. 30.06

(Perry County)

Default .270 vs. 30.06

My father got 2 Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classics and he is willing to sell me one.

1 in .270
    1 in 30.06

Same exact gun, just different calibers (the 30.06 has a Leupold 4-12x scope on it, although this is more about the caliber than the accessories).

I already have a Remington Sportsman 78 in .270. My current deer gun. It's ok, nothing special.

The only 30.06s I own are an M1 Garand and a 1903 Springfield (neither of which I can/would use for hunting).

So I'm leaning towards the 30.06.

I have a bunch of mil-surp 30.06 for the m1 and the 1903. There's no reason I couldn't use that in the Model 70, right? May not be quite as accurate as new ammo though.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: .270 vs. 30.06

Thats a pretty old debate. I would say its personal preference. I personally like the .270 better. The milsurp ammo wont be as accurate as new handloads or factory stuff, but should shoot ok. Good luck with you decision, I would think either rifle would make a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    My father is willing to sell me one.

I have a bunch of mil-surp 30.06 for the m1 and the 1903.
    Try to get the sell changed to give. It is your dad for crying out loud.

See if he'll let you shoot a few rounds of the surplus through the 06. If they group well enough, then I'd take the 30-06. If the groups suck, then ???
    Last edited by harold63; January 25th, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Hokkmike Guest

My father got 2 Winchester Model 70 Stainless Classics and he is willing to sell me one.

1 in .270
    1 in 30.06

Same exact gun, just different calibers (the 30.06 has a Leupold 4-12x scope on it, although this is more about the caliber than the accessories).

I already have a Remington Sportsman 78 in .270. My current deer gun. It's ok, nothing special.

The only 30.06s I own are an M1 Garand and a 1903 Springfield (neither of which I can/would use for hunting).

I have a bunch of mil-surp 30.06 for the m1 and the 1903. There's no reason I couldn't use that in the Model 70, right? May not be quite as accurate as new ammo though.

30.-06 shoots at lower pressures
    30.-06 has more reloading versatility
    .270 would allow you to purchase same ammo for both
    30.-06 would give you caliber diversity (but to what end?)

You sir, are sitting horns of a very positive dilemma. Both are EXCELLENT calibers. I would decide by going with the gun in better condition. And, to be honest, addition of a Leupold 4x12 would help me decide. (I did read what you wrote)

I'd probably take the gun from Dad with the Leupold and SELL my gun, unless it is really great or I have an emotional attachment and use the proceeds to buy a firearm type that I don't currently own.

These are just musing of course - only you can decide!

BTW, you have a GREAT dad.

Hokkmike Guest

1 in .270
    1 in 30.06

30.-06 shoots at lower pressures
    30.-06 has more reloading versatility
    .270 would allow you to purchase same ammo for both
    30.-06 would give you caliber diversity (but to what end?)

You sir, are sitting horns of a very positive dilemma. Both are EXCELLENT calibers. I would decide by going with the gun in better condition. And, to be honest, addition of a Leupold 4x12 would help me decide. (I did read what you wrote)

I'd probably take the gun from Dad with the Leupold and SELL my gun, unless it is really great or I have an emotional attachment and use the proceeds to buy a firearm type that I don't currently own.

These are just musing of course - only you can decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post

BTW, you have a GREAT dad.
    Well, if he gets the "sell" changed to "give", then I'd be inclined to agree.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Try to get the sell changed to give. It is your dad for crying out loud.

See if he'll let you shoot a few rounds of the surplus through the 06. If they group well enough, then I'd take the 30-06. If the groups suck, then ???
    he won't give it to me, but he's letting me make payments on it because I can't afford it outright.

Both are brand new, never fired. he bought them from his brother and he got a decent deal on them. yeah, the scope on the 30-06 is 1 reason i'm leaning towards it.

He did buy me my current deer gun several years ago though

(Jefferson County)

They are basically the same, although one is .277" caliber and the other is .308" caliber.

The .30-06 will have a much larger selection of bullets for reloading, a greater range of preloaded ammunition.

Even though my dad would probably smack me for saying this, but I'd take the .30-06.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

the scope on the 30-06 is 1 reason i'm leaning towards it.
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The .30-06 will have a much larger selection of bullets for reloading, a greater range of preloaded ammunition.
    Well, if he bought that rifle for you, then he qualifies.

For the other reasons, the 06 is more tempting, to me, anyways. If you hunt with it and can get some close shots, the surplus doesn't need to be precise, and as Knight says, there are a lot of reloading choices out there. You can load the 30-06 to be fast or to be where is is best suited.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-...americas-best/
    Last edited by harold63; January 25th, 2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: changed 'bullet' to 'reloading'

If you sell something for a dollar... It was still sold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast