Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default selling a firearm

Can someone explain the laws pertaining to private firearms sales. I assumed that if I wanted to sell a firearm that I owned to another individual, I must process the transaction with a dealer.

(Centre County)

Default Re: selling a firearm

There are numerous threads about this subject, use the search functions for even more info. But, I'll give you a QUICK answer:

If you are selling a long arm (rifle/shotgun) you can sell FTF (face to face) with no paperwork except what you want (bill of sale, etc.) You can also sell and ship the long arm intrastate (within PA) via common carrier or USPS. If the sale is out of state the gun must be shipped to a FFL holder for the transaction.

If you are selling a handgun the transfer must take place at a federally licensed dealer/gun shop or the sheriffs dept (if they will do it, many will not). You can also sell to someone elsewhere ( in or out of state) but it will need to be shipped to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder (by common carrier, cannot use USPS) to complete the transaction.

The above assumes that you are not selling an NFA firearm (short barrel rifle/short barrel shotgun/fully automatic weapon/etc). There is additional things that must be done for these types of guns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: selling a firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    There are numerous threads about this subject, use the search functions for even more info. But, I'll give you a QUICK answer:

If you are selling a long arm (rifle/shotgun) you can sell FTF (face to face) with no paperwork
    If the sale is out of state the gun must be shipped to a FFL holder for the transaction.
    For long guns transferred to a non resident the transfer can occur at an FFL in either state.

Long guns - either state
    Handguns - buyers state

This would apply for sales where the non resident person is here in PA and wants to purchase a residents long gun. They can simply go to local PA dealer for transfer.