Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lycoming County)

Default License for Reloading Ammo for sale?

According to the ATF site a license is needed to manufacture ammo. But I found no reference to re-manufactured/reloaded ammo using customer supplied cases. Granted to start reloading for others WILL need a gob of liability insurance.
    Jack

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: License for Reloading Ammo for sale?

Umm, ok.

Did I miss the point? Are you considering going into business reloading ammo for others? As in 'I give you a bag of brass, you fill it with all the 'splody stuff and then sell it to me?' Or was this a random factoid just dropped?

I'm sure there is a limit that the ATF would set. I know I have bought reloaded ammo from ranges when I shoot, and I have bought it from Cabelas. (Although, the Cabelas 9mm reload was absolute crap.)

If you are going to collect brass from ranges/shooters and then sell the reloads, I don't see how you will make a profit, but more power to you. I don't know how and my wife would throw me under a bus if I told her I wanted to learn.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Monroe County)

If you are getting paid to do it then you still need the 06 FFL. the only advantage to loading others brass for return to them is you don't need to pay the FET on the loaded ammo.

Rich W.

(Lycoming County)

MrUgly,

Basically I was considering reloading for others, with their brass. I am aware that the profit margin is extremely low.

Thanks Rich W. that's the answer I was looking for.
    Jack

Since Dixie Slugs is a Federal 06 License holder and some questions have come up....Even anyone casting bullets and selling them is now required to have an 06 license......sad but true. Excepet, those casting bullets to be use in "Antique" listed firearms....and that's vague.
    I was also told that the ATF will be clamping down on clubs that reload ammo and sell it to the members also.
    Just more crazy laws!
    Regards, James

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Slugs View Post
    Since Dixie Slugs is a Federal 06 License holder and some questions have come up....Even anyone casting bullets and selling them is now required to have an 06 license......sad but true. Excepet, those casting bullets to be use in "Antique" listed firearms....and that's vague.
    I was also told that the ATF will be clamping down on clubs that reload ammo and sell it to the members also.
    Just more crazy laws!
    Regards, James
    Dixie,

I understand that the biggest direction they are currently looking is at the ranges that offer rental guns. because quite a few of them are manufacturing ammo for use in the rental guns but don't actualy sell it to customers to use it in thier own firearms. As always it is about $$, I am sure the taxes avoided is very high and big brother NEEDS that money.

Rich W.

I agree with you that it is just more justification for their existance. I had some friends that bought out all the casting equioment, molds, and sizers from a small bullet outfit. They planed to use our web sute to sell cast bullets and cast bullets for us. The ATF stopped that....unless he had his property re-zoned (as we had to), get county and state license....plus the Federal 06 (and that's hard to get since 9/11) and all that was too much...so he is sitting on about $3000 worth of equipment.
    I have no problem with realistic regulations.....but not those that tend to keep honest people out of business.
    Regards, James

(Luzerne County)

hows you friend doing now? Do you still think it not worth trying to retail reloads?

Sad, but true! The BATF considers components as ammo also. This can be checked on with them. I ended up buying all the equipment, sizers, molds, etc at a cut rate price. I have all that stored at present.
    There are many out there that are selling ammo, brass, and cast bullets that do not have the license....they are still running the risk!
    I have mixed emotions about the entire deal though.
    Dixie Slugs does have the license and we are visited by the Feds.
    Regards, James