Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Rally at the capital

Met a few PAFOA Forum members at the Harrisburg rally today. I would estimate the crowd at 300 tops. Some cited extremely cold weather but I was disappointed in the turn out. About a half a dozen elected Representatives and Senators spoken and were clearly in support of gun rights. I had a chance to visit the office of Rep. Tina Pickett and discuss the gun issue. She also is a strong supporter of our rights. Senator Yaw was in session but is also a gun rights advocate. I watched as much of the proceedings from the Ceasefire group as I could bear. They put t-shirts on kids and used a lot of emotional appeal. All in all it was a very productive day and I am glad I attended. Kudos to the rest of you that were there or otherwise supported the cause.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Rally at the capital

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Met a few PAFOA Forum members at the Harrisburg rally today. I would estimate the crowd at 300 tops. Some cited extremely cold weather but I was disappointed in the turn out. About a half a dozen elected Representatives and Senators spoken and were clearly in support of gun rights. I had a chance to visit the office of Rep. Tina Pickett and discuss the gun issue. She also is a strong supporter of our rights. Senator Yaw was in session but is also a gun rights advocate. I watched as much of the proceedings from the Ceasefire group as I could bear. They put t-shirts on kids and used a lot of emotional appeal. All in all it was a very productive day and I am glad I attended. Kudos to the rest of you that were there or otherwise supported the cause.
    10am on a Wednesday. Most people work...

(Erie County)

As much as I would have liked to attend, I had to be at work. A lot of us run into the same problem, we have jobs, and have to be at them to earn our paychecks. The opposition, they just call for a "rent-a-mob", and the progressives bus them in for the rally.
    "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
    United States Constitution - 2nd Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Kiski Cowboy View Post
    As much as I would have liked to attend, I had to be at work. A lot of us run into the same problem, we have jobs, and have to be at them to earn our paychecks. The opposition, they just call for a "rent-a-mob", and the progressives bus them in for the rally.
    Yup. I have virtually no vacation time left after the holidays.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Allegheny County)

That sounds like a good sized group for such a quickly put together gathering.

Curious - how did today compare to the big rally last year in numbers of attendees?

Thanks to all who attended!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    That sounds like a good sized group for such a quickly put together gathering.

Curious - how did today compare to the big rally last year in numbers of attendees?

Thanks to all who attended!

I can't swear to it, but I believe last years numbers were under 150.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

Is there an accurate count? My local Delaware County paper reported "about 100 people" for the pro-2A side while reporting "several hundred" for the anti crowd, though they acknowledge some in the anti crowd were carrier over from the 2A crowd.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rxer311 View Post
    10am on a Wednesday. Most people work...
    Honest, hard working, law abiding gun owners vs the 47% and a biased media on a work day...

We did well.

Our voices were heard and will continue to be heard. Keep up the fight folks, we're getting their attention.

The only complaint I had with the whole venue was the lag time for checking firearms. I already had my form down loaded and filled out, but most did not. This would otherwise be a minor issue, but standing in line for so long in the wind tunnel was down-right brutal. I also think that on rally days, they could route us thru the side door on the north end that leads straight to the locker room, then back up and thru the standard scan room. It just seems ironic to carry THROUGH the capitol to check in a firearm to eliminate carrying IN the capitol. It would also cut down the congestion of the back and forth traffic in the scan area. JMO

Hokkmike Guest

My hat is off to those who had to work. I certainly understand.

I understand that Weds. was picked because it would be a counter to Ceasefire. I, too - thought it was a bad day to choose. But I guess also that the legislators would not be present on most people's days off.

A little ironic humor. Some of the ladies who came in wearing signs decrying gun violence were wearing, in my opinion, very ostentatious furs. Their group was made up of 95% women and as I said they dressed some of their kids in Ceasefire T's. I would have liked to engaged some of them in dialogue but felt I could not do so without losing my deportment.

One lady had a big poster that said "NO MORE SANDY HOOKS" with pictures of all the kids and adults that were killed. I wanted very badly to ask her what specific law that Ceasefire would like to impose would have prevented the tragedy.

I have been learning since that the media will spin this according to the bias and editorial policies of their stations.

Channel 16 (WNEP) Wilkes-Barre Scranton made it look like a Ceasefire day with a few counter protesters with signs in the background. They showed a brief excerpt of a mother who lost her 17 year old son. That was it. Pretty one sided. I think their reporter came in too late and missed our rally. Maybe the station didn't get the word?

As one of the speakers pointed out, Constitutional guarantees or no, we must ALWAYS be vigilant and do our work. Sad, but it is a numbers game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast