Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Mental health and firearms...

I have a good friend who was at one point in his life self commited to a mental facility for a breakdown. He went of his own valition, and was released good and clear.

He does own a firearm, and did so before this all happened. He has asked me if he would be eligible still for a LTCF. I trust that he is resoncible enough and of good mental health now to responsibly carry, but will the state?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Mental health and firearms...

i don't know but id like the answer to that also

AFAIK a person needs to be adjudicated incompetent, or incapacitated, or involuntarily committed, which does not appear to be the case here.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    AFAIK a person needs to be adjudicated incompetent, or incapacitated, or involuntarily committed, which does not appear to be the case here.
    He can try, but if the Sheriff finds out about the commitment, he can deny the LTCF based on the following part of section 6109:

(e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    http://weblinks.westlaw.com/find/def...0E-3BD4418AE67

The applicant would then have to hire a lawyer and appeal the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    He can try, but if the Sheriff finds out about the commitment, he can deny the LTCF based on the following part of section 6109:

Well sure, but that's not a reason not to apply or even be hesitant to do so, since he appears to have broken no laws or have been deemed mentally defective. As we all know that tired excuse can be pulled out at any whim. I have long hair and a window sticker that says driver only carries $20 worth of ammo. That could get me denied in some counties.

I agree that the applicant should be aware of that possibility and be prepared to fight it.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Pike County)

heres a question related to this if anyone can help. My wife just sent in her application, she has no mental health record other than having her doctor prescribe Paxil for nervousness when she rides in a car, (maybe its my driving but Nahhh!) is this a reason for denial of an LTCF? thanks HG

Quote Originally Posted by hgsw67 View Post
    heres a question related to this if anyone can help. My wife just sent in her application, she has no mental health record other than having her doctor prescribe Paxil for nervousness when she rides in a car, (maybe its my driving but Nahhh!) is this a reason for denial of an LTCF? thanks HG

Only if her doctor, or pharmacist belong to the same country club as the sheriff.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    I have a good friend who was at one point in his life self commited to a mental facility for a breakdown. He went of his own valition, and was released good and clear.

He does own a firearm, and did so before this all happened. He has asked me if he would be eligible still for a LTCF. I trust that he is resoncible enough and of good mental health now to responsibly carry, but will the state?
    HE would have to have been committed INVOLUNTARILY to lose his rights.
    His medical records (including mental health) are not a matter of public record.
    As long as he really did self-commit and there was no 302 he is fine.
    Unless he actually walks in and tells them about it, they will not know about it.
    Last edited by skyjerk; March 27th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by hgsw67 View Post
    No. This isnt gonna have any effect at all. The police are not informed of peoples health, mental or physical. They do not have any access to peoples medical records.
    Even when committed involuntarily, they are not privy to why you were committed or any other personal information.
    Just that you were, and thats only because being involuntarily committed disqualifies you
    from owning or possessing firearms.
    Last edited by skyjerk; March 27th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post

Medical records are not published to the police. They would have been notified of an involuntary commitment, but then only the fact that it happened would be public info. The specifics would still be private.

A person that enters a mental health facility of their own free will doesn't
    create a court record of commitment.

The sheriff has no way of knowing about this unless the applicant comes out and tells him about it, and they are under NO obligation to do so.

They are only obliged to disclose an involuntary commitment.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast