Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Mental health and firearms...

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    12 years ago, it was a very different story. Section 302 has evolved a little since then. In 1996, Section 302 was relatively new and subject to all manners of abuse. It still is since it doesn't really require due process, but the procedures in place in most hospitals are a bit different than back then.
    Are those not called 'ex parte' in PA? They are done frequently where I work, where the worker must force the person to the hospital, jail, have kids taken away temporarily, or any order which the judge can force a person to do most actions.

Unfortunately all those damned humanitarians shut down most of the pysch wards because they spread so much FUD everything thought they were inhumane. We probably wouldn't have so many free mentally ill people shooting up campuses if there were better retention policies on the mentally ill. With better retention policies, one could seriously say, "This person is too sick to be released" or "This person is perfectly fine and shouldn't have any further incidents". Instead, we guess because the bastard medicare companies won't pay for extra nights in the hospital or extra time for the on-call to check in on people in jail.

Oh, and yesh, exparte's go on your permanent legal record. I highly doubt they're easily expungable.

(Lawrence County)

Ummm... No...

The reason for the State Hospital System was to provide services that cost too much for counties to fund, or were not fiscally sound. Take Potter County as an example: Say there are 20 people a month that need inpatient mental health care. Now out of those 20 people, 2 people need care above and beyond what that facility is able to provide. So what to do? You take numerous people needing advanced care, and put them all in the same place. Once the counties can afford the programs and services to bring these people back into the community, you release them and let them grow, change, and recover in a least-restrictive but safe environment...

Chazstigmaiswrongman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    Ummm... No...

The reason for the State Hospital System was to provide services that cost too much for counties to fund, or were not fiscally sound. Take Potter County as an example: Say there are 20 people a month that need inpatient mental health care. Now out of those 20 people, 2 people need care above and beyond what that facility is able to provide. So what to do? You take numerous people needing advanced care, and put them all in the same place. Once the counties can afford the programs and services to bring these people back into the community, you release them and let them grow, change, and recover in a least-restrictive but safe environment...

Chazstigmaiswrongman321
    I wish I could give you more rep, but you've bagged your limit from me today.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by NineseveN View Post
    I wish I could give you more rep, but you've bagged your limit from me today.
    It's the thought that counts... lol

Chazthankyouman321

Right, the systems were shut down due to high operational costs, *looks at the national deficit*... Right. How much money have we spent on various programs, how much are we spending on the mentally ill in jail?

There is a statistic on a few jails I seen in the paper, maybe to do with Alaska jails only. 37% of the mentally ill were in jails. 40k per person per year instead of helping the person and fixing them in less time than their jail sentence.

Sure, I love ex partes, force people to get fixed. There are just some people which need to be forced to get help, unfortunately if they're too great of a case to place in jail while they get mental help, they must be shipped to providence(sic).

I tend to call BS on politicians which use that excuse and tend to blame the anti-psychiatric groups out there. Currently mental health sucks, there is a lack of money and initiative to find even the clinics. I'm really happy we're getting bills passed to place restrictions on medical insurance companies to see mental needs the same as physical needs.

so.. 40k a year per person for the mentally ill in jail. The other option is to fix them in a hospital where they could get helped. I realize there is a cost associated with running hospitals, the local regular medical hospital probably shys close to 500 million to operate per year but I think it is still more political.

I see the psych wards being underfunded same as a antigun person saying we don't have enough gun restrictions to prevent crime, there we we need to take away guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman321 View Post
    Ummm... No...

Chazstigmaiswrongman321

(Lawrence County)

Prison=40K/person/year
    State Hospital=170K/person/year

Chazprisonischeaperman321

(York County)

I'd asy just try it and see what happens, hire a lawyer if he's refused. But I agree, if says nothing then he should be fine. He has Bill Clinton to thank for that and HIPPA since his record will not be made public.

BB
    3%

(Chester County)

Interesting discussion indeed. For me, there is no circumstance really except that I am studying in this field and am also interested in firearms, so knowing the laws would be beneficial to a degree.

So, firearms can be legally purchased unless someone is not allowed to sign in themselves?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    Interesting discussion indeed. For me, there is no circumstance really except that I am studying in this field and am also interested in firearms, so knowing the laws would be beneficial to a degree.

So, firearms can be legally purchased unless someone is not allowed to sign in themselves?
    Being able to purchase a firearm when having a past history of mental illness also depends on the state regulations. After the Va Tech incident, the state passed a law nobody who is mentally ill or has a past history of mental illness at a certain level, which I don't remember, can't be sold firearms.

Who was that that kid again at Va Tech? What about the mall shooting kid... they, the shooters, say its to get their name recognized, but I sure don't remember them. Oh well, darwin awards to them for stupidity of ones self.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunperson003 View Post
    Being able to purchase a firearm when having a past history of mental illness also depends on the state regulations. After the Va Tech incident, the state passed a law nobody who is mentally ill or has a past history of mental illness at a certain level, which I don't remember, can't be sold firearms.
    That sounds extremely vague and unenforceable to me.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast