Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Thinking it's time to upgrade my rear shooting bag.

Months ago I bought the Caldwell Deadshot shooting bag combo and attempted to zero in my M&P 15-22 which had the Magpul MBUS irons installed. Using both the front in the rear bags I tried for an 1 1/2 hours with about 200 rounds to get the sights properly zeroed at 25 yards. It was a mess I was all over the place and nothing was constant. After that I stopped using the rear bag, shoulder the rifle firmly and zeroed the rifle after 20 minutes and about 25-30 rounds. Granted this was really my first try at zeroing a rifle but this event has bothered me for some time. I know it was my lack of experience but I also know the rear bag I was using didn't help. First off all, I feel this rear bag with it's "bunny ears" design was meant for hunting rifles and not rifles with a tactical stocks. Secondly, it was too low. It was very hard for me to shoulder the rifle, keep it on the rear bag and keep my sights properly orientated at the same time.

The problem is I will have to do this again in the future. My rifle is now able to get all of it's shots on paper plates at 25 and 50 yards but my shots are an inch or two to the left from dead center and I would like to correct this. Plus I plan on installing optics on this rifle and others in time. So I need to find a solution to this issue. What I am looking for is a new rear bag that will work with all styles of rifles and is height adjustable. I am not really keen on spending more money on this at the time so I am strongly considering making my own rear bag. I know a lot of shooters both here and in my travels that have done this. However if the product is effective enough I might spend the money. So please offer me some effective suggestions.

I have been doing some reading on the topic and I was thinking of purchasing these 6"x10" Burlap sacks on Amazon and filling them with kitty litter. They're cheap and I get 6 so this is my leading idea at the moment. Would this work?

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Thinking it's time to upgrade my rear shooting bag.

Got any worn out bluejeans? Cut the bottom of the leg off and sew them up. Add something to fill them and finish sewing.

Kitty litter may break down eventually.

Dale

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    Got any worn out bluejeans? Cut the bottom of the leg off and sew them up. Add something to fill them and finish sewing.

Kitty litter may break down eventually.

Dale
    Thanks, I read that in a lot of places but all of my jeans are in good shape and I don't want to mutilate a pair for this. If I don't use kitty litter what other fill do you recommend? It has to be something that won't rot, attract rodents or be destroyed by moisture.

(Northampton County)

Kitty litter works fine. If however you want something else, go to the store and buy a bag of dry beans or some rice. Put them in a zip lock bag or two and then sew them into your jean leg or shot bag or whatever you choose. If all else fails, you'll have some emergency food.

Smit

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by smit308 View Post
    Kitty litter works fine. If however you want something else, go to the store and buy a bag of dry beans or some rice. Put them in a zip lock bag or two and then sew them into your jean leg or shot bag or whatever you choose. If all else fails, you'll have some emergency food.

Smit
    Thanks, I will have to weigh those options. I guess for now I will just order those burlap sacks and consider my options for fill as they're shipped.

Make your own, Rice, dried beans, kitty litter and sand are the best

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick17 View Post
    Make your own, Rice, dried beans, kitty litter and sand are the best
    I want to make my own but I am still deciding if those burlap sacks on Amazon would be the best medium to hold the fill. If I don't get any further suggestions by Friday I will just place the order and wing it, hopefully it will work out.