Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default In-Laws + Firearms = ??

So I recently picked up my first HD/CC handgun. I grew up shooting mostly hunting rifles, bows, and occasionally a handgun. I know how to shoot and I know proper safety procedures. I'm currently 22 years old and live on my own with my girlfriend.

We stopped at my local shop and I purchased a nice CZ 2075 RAMI P this past saturday after a lot of researching and testing.

On Sunday we had family over (my parents and grandparents as well as hers). We got to talking about guns and the IL's were unaware of my recent purchase and dont quite understand the area I grew up in (rural central PA) compared to where I just moved to and where they are from (philly suburbs).

In a nutshell I was told:

1. "I think there needs to be more gun laws"
    2. "Any criminal can go out and buy a gun" --my personal favorite
    3. "You need a lock box for that"
    4. "I think its just too easy to get a gun"
    5. Other various Anti statements

I guess my conclusion after dealing with my first openly Anti encounter would be this: It seems that most (after reading other posts) anti-gun citizens are VERY VERY unaware of the laws in their state and proceed to spread non-sense. I calmly tried to explain the basics of purchasing a gun and the laws involved (didn't even start to lecture on CC/OC). However, after a few minutes of bickering back and forth it just seemed worthless to even try and moreso made me feel bad for the ignorance.

Please feel free to share your "talks" with other anti's especially family or in-laws. I'd be interested in hearing how you handled it.

comments welcome

(Adams County)

Default Re: In-Laws + Firearms = ??

When the conversation comes up around someone I care about, I simply say that restrictions will only affect law abiding people, not the criminals who shouldn't be allowed to get guns.

Using a gun to kill people is already illegal, yet they're still doing it after all.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Westmoreland County)

I would add,

To be even handed about it... There are plenty of people who SHOULD KNOW GUN LAWS, that apparently don't and spread misinformation.

Example... I was told by a indoor range owner and two different store owners that it was perfectly legal for me to buy rifles from my friends in TN and then drive them back. No transfer, nothing.

A clerk/manager at a different store told me that I "should do the transfer" but if I just put them in my cat and drove back to PA, "who is going to know?".

My point, is that ignorance abounds. And it seems that your IL's just have a poor opinion of firearms... One that is unlikely to change. Educate, but never talk down or insult them... Those are the ways of the "Left Side".
    This space for rent.... to Conservatives.

(Bucks County)

Well I would keep my house my home and not let them influence my home.

As for their house, their rules.

If they want to learn what the law is rather than being ignorant then hand them pamphlets and reading material.

Some people never want to face the truth or reality and wish to continue in their own little world of false security and ignorance.

I am also confused because they are not your in laws until you are married. If she is your girl friend then she is your girlfriend.

If she is to continue being your girl friend that would be my concern. Live your life not the one other have for you.

Also, what about friends? Why post this on an internet forum?

(Lehigh County)

Explain to them that human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force or fear of force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it. In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 120-pound policewoman on equal footing with a 300-pound criminal, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, etc. Without a gun to level the playing field, force and the fear of force DOES enter the equation and there is nothing separating us from uncivilized animals where the young and the strong dominate the weak and the old.

Ask them if that is the kind of society they want to live in where somebody younger / bigger / stronger can FORCE them to do their bidding?

(Lancaster County)

I had a milder version of the same culture shock with my in-laws, and simply explained to them that me keeping watch over those who are important to me is at least as important as if I were guarding the president or an expensive work of art and both those are guarded by guys with guns. They wouldn't care nearly as much if either of those two things were lost compared with their daughter or son in law, and having had a couple of recent departures of relatives it was abundantly clear just how important the lives of loved ones are. The message was crystal clear and they have never questioned or argued with me about it a single time after that, not ever. In fact whenever they're out after dark or have guests over then walking to their car afterwards, they insist that I be with them.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; August 13th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasbalddog View Post
    I would add,

To be even handed about it... There are plenty of people who SHOULD KNOW GUN LAWS, that apparently don't and spread misinformation.

Example... I was told by a indoor range owner and two different store owners that it was perfectly legal for me to buy rifles from my friends in TN and then drive them back. No transfer, nothing.

A clerk/manager at a different store told me that I "should do the transfer" but if I just put them in my cat and drove back to PA, "who is going to know?".

My point, is that ignorance abounds. And it seems that your IL's just have a poor opinion of firearms... One that is unlikely to change. Educate, but never talk down or insult them... Those are the ways of the "Left Side".
    I agree. I was trying to remain courteous and respectful but the blatant misinformation and ignorance was really making my blood boil. I calmly explained the details or purchasing a handgun in PA, but to people who have no clue about any type of firearms whatsoever it was almost pointless. Although, somehow everyone other than me seemed to know more about gun safety and gun laws. Who woulda thought?
    Last edited by lshee778; August 13th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Talking Re: In-Laws + Firearms = ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Knight View Post
    Explain to them that human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force or fear of force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it. In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 120-pound policewoman on equal footing with a 300-pound criminal, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, etc. Without a gun to level the playing field, force and the fear of force DOES enter the equation and there is nothing separating us from uncivilized animals where the young and the strong dominate the weak and the old.

Ask them if that is the kind of society they want to live in where somebody younger / bigger / stronger can FORCE them to do their bidding?

Copy, Paste, Email

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dasbalddog View Post

I think your cat would know and probably wouldn't enjoy it too much.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Cumberland County)

haha i noticed that too and wondered how he planned on fitting a LR into his exhaust without causing too much backpressure

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast