Hey all

Just got on the board recently, right after moving to PA, and this is my first time posting. Now that I'm out of NJ, I was planning on buying a gun. I used to own two when I was in the Army and stationed in GA, but that was quite a while ago. My question is regarding question #11C on the background check application: "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more then one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?" I was arrested when I was 20, for a non-violent offense. Rather then going to trial, I accepted an offer of PTI (Pre-Trial Intervention). Basically you are on probation for 6-12 months. If you have no other legal trouble during that time, the case is closed and the record is sealed. It can then later be expunged, removing it totally. I haven't ever done the expungement, but I've also never had any trouble with background checks for anything else. So, if the record is sealed, and I was never convicted of a crime, can I answer NO for that question? I'm thinking of going ahead and doing the expungment, but just wanted to get an opinion first. Someone also suggested talking to a lawyer, and getting them to do a records check to see what comes up. I think I could also just do my own records check, but I'm not sure which is the best place to start. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Contact info for a good attorney to speak to would be helpful as well.

Thanks,
Mike S.