Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Default PA public school teacher salaries available online

Found this interesting.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08087/868425-100.stm

PA public school teacher salaries available online
    Thursday, March 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An organization opposed to teacher strikes in Pennsylvania today announced that residents can now see the names and salaries of every public school teacher in the state.

StopTeacherStrikes, Inc., based in eastern Pennsylvania, is publicizing a Web site featuring a database created by the Asbury Park Press of New Jersey. http://php.app.com/PAteachers0607/search.php

In a news release, the group's founder, Simon Campbell, said: "Freedom of information has combined with freedom of the press to shatter the union-promoted myth of the underpaid teacher in Pennsylvania."

He said 82 of the nation's 137 teacher strikes occurred in Pennsylvania over the past five school years.

The group is backing legislation that would outlaw such strikes.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; March 27th, 2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added link

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: PA public school teacher salaries available online

Full disclosure: Both of my parents were teachers, and they were damn good at it. Because of the strong teachers union, they were able to provide me with a great childhood.

So although I'm probably biased, I don't think ANY group should be prohibited from striking...teachers, doctors, police, factory workers. The formation of organized labor, while it has its problems, was essentially responsible for the formation of the "American Middle Class" in the good 'ol days, which we'd all like to be part of (2 cars in the garage, 2.5 kids, food on the table every night, and a little extra cash to take a family vacation once in a while...). I get tired of the argument that certain professions don't have the right to strike, like teachers, doctors, and cops...it would take one day of no service from those fields for the average Joe bitching about his taxes to realize how much he needs them, and would realize how hard those jobs were.

I guess I'm a bit of a commie on this issue haha. Spread the wealth, dammit.
    Pittsburgh, PA

I also am a huge metalhead. PM if you wanna talk music.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DemonOfTheFall View Post
    Full disclosure: Both of my parents were teachers, and they were damn good at it. Because of the strong teachers union, they were able to provide me with a great childhood.
    on the other hand, my mom is a principal and has had to lay off good teachers and keep horrible ones because the horrible ones had been around longer...

she also cannot maximize her teachers strengths by placing them at the grade level where they fit best because the teachers get to choose what grade level they are going to teach based on seniority rather than merit. so, she sometimes ends up with her best teachers essentially being reduced to babysitters in kindergarden while her worst teachers are teaching gifted 8th graders.

unions are great, but, imho, they should start demanding collective bargaining agreements that emphasize merit rather than seniority.

in any case, though, no labor group should be prohibited by law from striking. that's called rigging the (labor) market (extremely in favor of "management"). free markets are good...rigged markets are bad, mmmmmmkkkkaaaay.

(Montgomery County)

COOL...............

Thanks for the link.........

(Lawrence County)

(Lehigh County)

I always get a kick out of people who always lump all labor unions together. Most are very different from each other in how they operate. It isn't always about money either, rising healthcare, working conditions, ect are things just as good to stand up for. Just like everything else, once you give it up you usually dont get it back.
    I looked through what the teachers in my school district make. I dont think they make soooo much money that they shouldn't be able to do what they feel is needed for them to receive amble compensation for their work.
    Personally I feel that teachers should be paid very well.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~