Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: PA public school teacher salaries available online

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    I don't know, they deserve to make a decent buck like everyone else. But on the other hand I just looked up my daughters 3rd grade teacher, and I don't see 65k for 9 months work as anything to strike over. If she worked a full 12 months thats 85-90k a year. Pretty good money for my area.

What I find interesting, if it's true, is that in the last 5 years PA had 82 teachers strikes while the other 49 states had 55 combined. If those statistics are true I would really like to know the reasoning behind an 8000% increase in teachers strikes from the avg. of all the other states.
    line removed
    My wife is a teacher. She works all year long. She doesn't get the summer off like everyone thinks. On top of that, she is doing some of the jobs that parents should be doing. For example, the first time she told me that she has to spend time teaching students proper etiquette for a public bathroom, my jaw about hit the floor. I asked her "shouldn't the parents be teaching them this?".

This was the content of an e-mail I received a while ago.

AREN'T YOU ALL SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS??

Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or
    ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them
    for what they do... baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum
    wage. That is right. I would give them $3.00 dollars an hour and only
    the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time.

That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 AM to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for
    lunch). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to
    baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day... maybe
    30? So that's 19.5 X 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only
    work 180 days a year! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
    Let's see . . .. that's $585 x 180 = $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My
    calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers and the ones with master's degrees?
    Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair, round it off to
    $7.00 an hour. That would be $7 times 6-1/2 hours times 30 children
    times 180 days = $245,700.00 per year. Wait a minute, there is something
    wrong here!
    Last edited by daschnoz; March 28th, 2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Line removed because it was rude.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Cambria County)

My sister is 6 years older than I am, has been teaching for 12 years, working in her district for 5, has her Bachelor's and Masters Degree in Education from the University of Pittsburgh and makes $46k a year to teach elementary school. I make more than her and I hardly finished a single semester of college ().

The difference? I work in an industry where performance is rewarded and we have no union that insulates subpar people from termination or demotion. When people slack or don't want to work, they're forced to seek employment elsewhere...when you bust your rear, you get the green.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    AREN'T YOU ALL SICK OF THOSE HIGH PAID TEACHERS??

Their hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or
    ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them
    for what they do... baby-sit! We can get that for less than minimum
    wage. That is right. I would give them $3.00 dollars an hour and only
    the hours they worked, not any of that silly planning time.

That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 AM to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for
    lunch). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to
    baby-sit their children. Now, how many do they teach in a day... maybe
    30? So that's 19.5 X 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only
    work 180 days a year! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.
    Let's see . . .. that's $585 x 180 = $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My
    calculator must need batteries!)

What about those special teachers and the ones with master's degrees?
    Well, we could pay them minimum wage just to be fair, round it off to
    $7.00 an hour. That would be $7 times 6-1/2 hours times 30 children
    times 180 days = $245,700.00 per year. Wait a minute, there is something
    wrong here!
    What is the cost per pupil in your area? Multiply that times the class size, subtract the teacher's salary, what remains is the cost to run the district (??).
    A GOOD teacher is worth every penny he is paid, but I do not believe they should at all be involved in babysitting or the bathroom etiquette you described. The student should be sent home to learn these types of life-skills before being allowed to return to the classroom.

How did teacher's loose their authority? Did they abdicate? or was it the lawyers? the unions? Kick the disruptions out of school. Public school does not need to be the school of last resort. Send the troublemakers to Camp Hill, PA juvie center or Kids Peace.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    To get into a teaching college requires the lowest SAT scores of all degreed programs.

Normally employee benefit packages add about 40% to the cost of labor to an employer. Union teachers benefit package adds about 75% to their base pay.

Any government employee should be required to sign a "no-strike clause" before being hired. Labor disputes should be settled or through binding arbitration. Schools should be on a 12 month class schedule since we are no longer an agrarian culture. The practice of tenure needs to be eliminated.

With all that said, I encourage young people to go into the teaching field. It's corrupt, but won't change any time soon.

Why don't schools do the same practice as any other profession, find a system that produces the best results and adopt that system, rather than experimenting with our progeny's future. High school graduates that kant spel, do math or understand geography. Sad.
    You know, i never really viewed teachers in public schools as government employees.... i guess i am just a dumbass..
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    You look at it and see "9 months" but you forget that on top of working during the day, their work goes home with them and takes up most of their night as well.
    Ya beat me to it

I tell my wife every September...."see ya in June" !! She don't think it's funny, but....it's very true. Go to work in the morning, come home at night, do more work, go to bed.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

my father was an upper darby high school teacher for 36 years, i know he started out in montrose pa making 3300.00 a year and when he retired at upper darby he was making forty something maybe fifty.. but he taught all day, not half days, he was forced into retirement because of his salary, they wanted to hire cheaper younger teachers..he was an awesome teacher and yes he did take his work home every night. in my opinion teachers dont make enough, i couldnt do it, with the law suits today i would last about a week.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    What is the cost per pupil in your area? Multiply that times the class size, subtract the teacher's salary, what remains is the cost to run the district (??).
    A GOOD teacher is worth every penny he is paid, but I do not believe they should at all be involved in babysitting or the bathroom etiquette you described. The student should be sent home to learn these types of life-skills before being allowed to return to the classroom.

How did teacher's loose their authority? Did they abdicate? or was it the lawyers? the unions? Kick the disruptions out of school. Public school does not need to be the school of last resort. Send the troublemakers to Camp Hill, PA juvie center or Kids Peace.

In an ideal world this would be the case. However, the bulk of the job is teaching little boys and girls to become productive members of society. Many times that involves simple thinks like what not to put on a resume, or that you shouldn't call women "bitches".

Whatever they need to learn is what you have to teach....

(Lehigh County)

I graduated HS in 1968, so things were a bit different then, then they are now. We homeschooled our four kids from 2nd 3rd and 5th grades respectivly. (And we still paid our school taxes.) Three are now in college full time or part time. All know how to have a conversation with an adult (since they were young). Not just a grunt for an answer. None had baggy drawers, or dressed like li'l hos. Yes, mam, no sir.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Luzerne County)

Here is how I see this thread going....there are valid arguments on both sides of this issue. I think the biggest problem and I have seen both sides say it...is unions. Back in the day when the first unions were created....they were created for a reason. These days it seems to be that they cause a lot of headaches all the way around.

Examples have been given. There are excellent teachers and I don't want anyone to think that I have downed any of their relatives because I stated we homeschool....this is a personal decision that Rich and I made long ago before the boys were even born. There are also teachers that are only kept because they have been in the position for a specific amount of time. Sad as it is, there is really nothing that can be done while there is unions.

We deal with it also as Rich is now a union employee through his work also. I really don't want to see anyone get upset or hurt over this whole thread....but it seems that tempers are starting to flare.

So hopefully, you guys can all see what I am saying and go post some cat pictures or jokes for me to look at.

Judy

(Allegheny County)

The gal's got class!

(how do you put up with him?)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast