Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default New to the forum and handguns

Nice little place you have here. Glad I found it.

A little about myself. I am a career firefighter in NYS. While I'm at work my wife is home alone quite a bit at night. A few weeks back right after the first snowfall I was out in my yard and noticed footprints around the back of our house that stopped and turned at a bedroom window. That planted the seed that it was probably time to get some type of protection for my wife to use if needed. Security in my development is pretty good when someone answers the phone and the State Police are a 20 minute drive away.

My wife and I are no stranger to guns. She use to target shoot with her brothers as a kid and I was in the Air Force for 6 years so I was familiar with handling guns. But I had only used a semi-auto a couple times back in 1987.

I picked up a used Firestar M-40 for a really good price. Heavy as hell, but fun at the range. She picked out a new S&W SD40VE. And just for the hell of it I picked up a new SCCY CPX-1 at the show in Matamoras last week.

Had her at the Rt6 range on Sunday to get use to all of them. She didn't like the M40, but loved the S&W and the CPX-1. With the edge going to the S&W.

During the course of the day the S&W had several FTF problems. With the last one leaving the gun completely inoperable. In the previous incidents I was able to remove the slide and get the round out of the chamber. The last time the slide wouldn't move at all. Having no alternative, we packed up our toys. I put the S&W in a steel toolbox in the back of my car and brought it to the nearest shop (911 Tactical) that had a gunsmith. I went in without the gun to let them know the situation. The gunsmith wasn't there, but the guy at the counter sent me to his house. Found his house and he cleared it very easily. But recommended getting in touch with S&W and have them check it out. So S&W is sending me a pre-paid mailer to send it back to them. They agreed that there is some type of underlying problem.

Just for the hell of it I filled out the paperwork for the Sheriff's office to get a concealed carry.

The next thing is to get the death certificate of my Grandfather (who died in 1929) so I can transfer his Colt Police Positive .38 Special into my name. It's more of a collectors piece. But I want to have it legal should anything ever happen. I also have a Ruger MkIII .22 that my brother in law gave me years ago, but no paperwork. So I have to get him here to do the transfer on that also.

That about sums up the current situation...

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: New to the forum and handguns

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post
    Nice little place you have here. Glad I found it.

A little about myself. I am a career firefighter in NYS. While I'm at work my wife is home alone quite a bit at night. A few weeks back right after the first snowfall I was out in my yard and noticed footprints around the back of our house that stopped and turned at a bedroom window. That planted the seed that it was probably time to get some type of protection for my wife to use if needed. Security in my development is pretty good when someone answers the phone and the State Police are a 20 minute drive away.

My wife and I are no stranger to guns. She use to target shoot with her brothers as a kid and I was in the Air Force for 6 years so I was familiar with handling guns. But I had only used a semi-auto a couple times back in 1987.

I picked up a used Firestar M-40 for a really good price. Heavy as hell, but fun at the range. She picked out a new S&W SD40VE. And just for the hell of it I picked up a new SCCY CPX-1 at the show in Matamoras last week.

Had her at the Rt6 range on Sunday to get use to all of them. She didn't like the M40, but loved the S&W and the CPX-1. With the edge going to the S&W.

During the course of the day the S&W had several FTF problems. With the last one leaving the gun completely inoperable. In the previous incidents I was able to remove the slide and get the round out of the chamber. The last time the slide wouldn't move at all. Having no alternative, we packed up our toys. I put the S&W in a steel toolbox in the back of my car and brought it to the nearest shop (911 Tactical) that had a gunsmith. I went in without the gun to let them know the situation. The gunsmith wasn't there, but the guy at the counter sent me to his house. Found his house and he cleared it very easily. But recommended getting in touch with S&W and have them check it out. So S&W is sending me a pre-paid mailer to send it back to them. They agreed that there is some type of underlying problem.

Just for the hell of it I filled out the paperwork for the Sheriff's office to get a concealed carry.

The next thing is to get the death certificate of my Grandfather (who died in 1929) so I can transfer his Colt Police Positive .38 Special into my name. It's more of a collectors piece. But I want to have it legal should anything ever happen. I also have a Ruger MkIII .22 that my brother in law gave me years ago, but no paperwork. So I have to get him here to do the transfer on that also.

That about sums up the current situation...
    That is unnecessary. Not only are transfers between grandparent/grandchildren exempt, so are transfers due to bequest and intestate succession.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

Really, Hmm I was told I needed a death cert. Well that makes things easier. Thanks

(Jefferson County)

No need for death certificate.

As far as the law is concerned - you own it.

If you want to make it "more legal", you can take it to a knowledgeable dealer and transfer it to yourself so that it is in your name in the PSP database.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

Just an idea, could you set up one of those cameras that hunters use for deer. Maybe you can catch the Peeper.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Just an idea, could you set up one of those cameras that hunters use for deer. Maybe you can catch the Peeper.
    I've been looking at security cameras for the entire property. One thing at a time though

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post
    I've been looking at security cameras for the entire property. One thing at a time though
    Home surveillance systems are actually very cheap these days.

(Delaware County)

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read some and then read some more. A lot to learn here.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Home surveillance systems are actually very cheap these days.
    Yea they're not very pricey at all. Trying to figure out how many cameras to prevent blindspots is tricky with the layout of the house.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read some and then read some more. A lot to learn here.
    Thanks. I've been reading quite a bit so far. Lots of good information on here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast