Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Carbon County)

Default Question about LEOSA

Hey there, I'm sure this has come up before and I am sorry if I am asking again, but as far as LEOSA is concerned, does this include Corrections Officers? I was in New York a few weekends ago and called NJ State Police about transporting rifles through, I explained I was a CO and he said he wasn't 100% sure but he thought that LEOSA gave that right to CO's also, he said that if he recalled correctly, that NJ CO's fell under that. Just curious, because I travel to VA and NC which I know recognize PA LTCF. But I do travel through MD, which doesn't. I work as a state CO and and was just curious if that covers me, I do have my ID with me at all times. Thanks for any insight, you guys are a great learning source.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Question about LEOSA

Good question...
    I dunno, but I have the same question about Probation/Parole Officers!

I keep forgetting to ask when I am at my conferences and such...
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Montgomery County)

From the mighty Wiki-pedia

In order to be covered as a "qualified law enforcement officer," a person must meet each and every one of the following criteria: He or she must be
    (1) "an employee of a governmental agency";
    (2) "is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law";
    (3) has "statutory powers of arrest";
    (4) "is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm";
    (5) "is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency";
    (6) "meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm"; and
    (7) "is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm." In addition, the privilege conferred by the law applies only when the individual "is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance."
    Answer those questions, and you know the answer.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Allegheny County)

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    When you click on the link in th PDF file, it takes you to PSP's website that has nothing to do with LEOSA.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

Click on a states link and it tells you how they deal with LEOSA. Thought it might help when traveling to another state.
    Last edited by DaveM55; March 27th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    When you click on the link in th PDF file, it takes you to PSP's website that has nothing to do with LEOSA.
    Actually, if you look in the right side column, it refers to retired officer issues regarding compliance which is one of the questions that always comes up.

Correct, it does not give any information or opinions as to who is elegible under the law. The little questionaire that was posted earlier (sorry, I forgot who posted it) is pretty right on. Some lefty cities do not allow their officers to take part. Chicago comes to mind. I believe the Mayor advised all officers that they can not carry across state lines. Silly!

Be safe.

Scott

(Luzerne County)

You really need to ask your agency. I with the Bureau of Prisons and I know a while back, when LEOSA was first inacted, there was a lot of confusion. There are a lot of stories out there about CO losing their jobs because of this (but then being re-instated because they faught it in court). Now with it being more "understood" the Director sent a memo out to all staff addressing the issue. As for the BOP you can carry but they won't back you if anything happens because you are not acting within the scope of your employment.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    From the mighty Wiki-pedia

Answer those questions, and you know the answer.
    Exactly.......

(Carbon County)

I understand what you guys are all saying, from what Mr Ugly posted I guess that answers my question, sorry for bothering you guys with a stupid question, but thanks for your insight. Like I said I was just curious, because the trooper in NJ said that NJ CO's can carry and I was just wondering if that applied here. But now I know. Thanks again.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!