Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default AR Lower Build help

im located in the lehigh valley and i am looking for someone who has the know-how , tools, experience, and willingness to teach me how to assemble an M4 style AR15. i have all the parts. really need help with assembling the lower with the lower parts kit. if you think you can help and your somewhat local to the area, please do send me an email.
    thanks
    mtncycler@gmail.com

(Chester County)

Default Re: AR Lower Build help

If you are even slightly mechanicly inclined you should be able to do it on your own. Ive done a lower with only a screw driver and that was it. Its super easy, here are some fool proof videos on how to do it. Good Luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M

You dont NEED all the tools that the guy has in the videos. It makes your job easier but others will chime in on how easy it is to do without all those things
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Butler County)

I would help if I was close...have you viewed the step by step videos on Brownell's site? They helped me through my very first build...made it very easy.

(Lehigh County)

the only tool you need is a castle nut wrench and maybe a roll pin punch. if you can't figure it out, i can help you near the end of the week, i am in west allentown, near the Guthsville range.
    Just checked with the wife, Friday would be good.

(Lehigh County)

Looks like you have a couple of offers...

This is what I follow when I build:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226...ructions_.html

I also got a couple of tools from AR15 (a member's son makes them) that make putting the detent pin/spring and roll pin for the bolt catch in place...a huge help.

AFARR

That tool set works very well.

OP, if you need help...I have everything you need to assemble lower. You can PM me if you want...I'm in Pottstown.

Quote Originally Posted by AFARR View Post
    I also got a couple of tools from AR15 (a member's son makes them) that make putting the detent pin/spring and roll pin for the bolt catch in place...a huge help.

AFARR

(Philadelphia County)

Honestly, I don't think you should have someone help you. It's the figuring out part that is the most fun, although it can be a bit painful at times. I think you would actually learn A LOT more doing it yourself. It is not difficult at all.

Here's the entire build process in video segments that makes it so easy, Diane Feinstein could do it: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/ . Don't miss the fact that each video has a PDF associated with it showing the parts, etc.

Tool-wise, besides the typical tools you should already have in your house, you will need a lower receiver vise block, a set of roll pin punches (I got a cheap set on eBay and a cheap set from Lowe's), and an AR15 armorer wrench. Even if you're not planning on building more, these tools are good to own so you can upgrade/change/fix parts later.

A couple small tips. Do your build in an room/area that is as small and empty as possible. You will likely have a few springs flying out so it's advisable to point the tension direction to a direction that you can easily track/find the spring. Use tape (painter or duct will do) to mask areas that you can potentially hit with a hammer. Along the side of the bolt catch roll pin area for example.

Good luck,
    Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

(Northampton County)

Thanks to everyone who has responded...all the insight is appreciated and has been very helpful. I am going to attempt this myself as it is something I want to learn how to do.

Tonyfac...you seem to be the closest to me and i am familiar with that area...I will certainly contact you if I run into any snags...

I am going to get myself the roll pin punches, stock wrench, and the small hammer...good to have like some of you suggested for repairs, upgrades, etc.

Thanks again to all those who offered input.

Much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

if you're still looking for help, I can walk you through it (located near the quakertown area)...

Its not hard just take your time, tape your lower and use the right tools

(Northampton County)

Im over in Northampton (5 mins up behind the LV airport). If you still need some help I am more than willing to lend a hand. I have punches and the castle nut wrench too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast