Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for a good range in the West York area..

Hello!

New member here, first post! I've been checking out this site for the past few weeks and decided to register. This site actually helped me choose Hakes in Wrightsville to send an order from Davidson's to for a pistol I recently purchased.

At any rate, I'm originally from the Reading, PA area and I am a member of the Muhlenberg Area Shooting Association and have been for the past 15-20 years. I'm also a former LEO.

I'm looking for a decent gun range/club to join here in the York area where I can go to practice shooting pistols and rifles. I've heard of a couple, West Shore, I think has one, maybe one in Windsor and the York Riflemen, but I don't know anyone who has been a member there so I'm out of luck currently on that one.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd sure appreciate hearing them. I'm leaning towards the West Shore club since I can get a "family" membership because I want to teach my wife how to shoot and properly and safely handle a firearm.

If anyone has any suggestions or can offer any help, I'd very much appreicate it.

Sincerely,
    Greg

Default Re: Looking for a good range in the West York area..

No thoughts or suggestions?

I think I may join WSSA. Their family membership seems like a good deal. That way I can take my wife to the range and teach her how to properly handle a firearm.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
    Greg

(York County)

I am a current member of the WSSA. I like the selection of ranges and when I make trips out there, it is always pleasant. Every member I run into is friendly and respectable.

The rifle range is great, but right now work is in progress on the next range over, number 8, and it is currently closed on weekdays. Updates can be found at the W.S.S.A website. http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

I highly recommend it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    I am a current member of the WSSA. I like the selection of ranges and when I make trips out there, it is always pleasant. Every member I run into is friendly and respectable.

The rifle range is great, but right now work is in progress on the next range over, number 8, and it is currently closed on weekdays. Updates can be found at the W.S.S.A website. http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

I highly recommend it.
    Do you need a sponsor to join?

(York County)

There's also the West York Sporting Goods off of Market Street, near the Hess station and Giant Eagle. I've been there once and apart from smelling like cigarette smoke it was a good experience. They say they're open noon to 8 or 9pm.

http://www.westyorksportinggoods.com/

(York County)

I am a member at Jefferson Sportsman Association, it is south of York so it might not be as close as the others. They have a lower range from 7yds to 45 yds for pistol and .22, a 25-100 yard rifle range, 200 and 300 yd range. Indoor .22 and archery range, outdoor 10-80 yard archery. Membership is 100.00 the first year and 50.00 after that, the only down side is that you can only take the same guest one time a year

thanks for the advice, I very much appreciate all of it.

I've heard some not so nice things about the W. York indoor range, IE "dont' shoot all your ammo, save a mag for when you leave" So I'm not going to pursue that option.

Thanks again,
    Greg

(York County)

Hello, I'm a new shooter actually yesterday was my first time really shooting. And I went to the West York Sporting Goods place and it's not anything like I've been reading! It's actually a pretty nice place with very good gun prices! I was very surprised at the selection they had! Much more then Laymans, Stonybrook and Hakes! My guess is because of where it is at. So I see go see for yourself.....I spent about 30 minutes shooting and about another 30 minutes looking around and talking to the nice guy behind the counter! Now I do have to say I got there about 11 or so and when we were leaving the place started getting busy.....So if you go go early. The guy told us that he has been coming in on the weekends around 9AM

(York County)

Sorry to hit an old thread, but this section moves pretty slowly, so here goes. if you are just looking for a range to shoot at, the one in Dillsburg is great, it is open air, so weather can be a factor, you need to have a valid hunting license, or a range license, both available at Wallmart. it offers a pistol range on the lower side, and a rifle range on top.
    If you are looking for more of the inside range, the gun shop/range on west market is awesome. The people inside are friendly and the range is really good as well.
    If you want to spend the money, freedom armory in new freedom is great. They offer classes, gun smithing, retail sales and a great atmosphere.

New here and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned or maybe I just missed it. http://northernyorkcountygamenfish.com/

$50 the first year, 30 dollars thereafter. 50 - 200 yards, that is a DEAL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast