Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help Quick! What's it worth

I got a call last night from a friend who informed me of another friend who is liquidating their collection. In this collection is a Vet bring back K98 all intact as picked up and brought back by the guys father. The friend knew I wanted this rifle and I had said to give me a shot at it if he ever sells it. So I was told to make an offer. I don't want to steal it from him but I don't want to pay the moon for it either.
    I'm haven't really kept up on the surplus rifle market lately so I want to ask you guys, what do you think is a fair offer? I need to get back to him tonight.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Need Help Quick! What's it worth

I have no idea but Google is a good source for quick info.
    Do you know anything about the gun? Age, condition?

http://www.mauser.net/firearms/rifle...rman/index.htm

http://www.gunbroker.com/K98-Mauser/...rds=K98+Mauser

http://www.gunsamerica.com/968560789/MAUSER_K98.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I have no idea but Google is a good source for quick info.
    Do you know anything about the gun? Age, condition?
    No I don't. All I know is it is an all original. The guy is not very approachable either so getting his number and asking to do a bore and headspace check is out of the question. I don't question the authenticity or originality. But I can't verify the condition or make. But I do know that it was willed to him and it has sat in a safe for most of it's life.Nor was it used as a deer rifle.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    No I don't. All I know is it is an all original. The guy is not very approachable either so getting his number and asking to do a bore and headspace check is out of the question. I don't question the authenticity or originality. But I can't verify the condition or make. But I do know that it was willed to him and it has sat in a safe for most of it's life.Nor was it used as a deer rifle.
    Sounds like a bad deal.
    My recollection of the definition of Fair Market Value is the amount a knowledgeable buyer will willingly pay for an item in an open market.

This does not fit your situation as you are being pressured into a purchase of a product that you don't know about and cannot therefore determine a value.

Your choices therefore are:
    - assume it is of poor condition and make offer accordingly. Risk being accused of low-balling.
    - assume it is of perfect condition and make offer accordingly. Risk overpaying.
    - Walk away and never look back. Buy from a cooperative reasonable seller. Risk disappointment over not getting the original gun (I assume it has some sentimental hold on you).

(Elk County)

Not knowing the factory code (byf, bnz, 337, etc) on the receiver ring, and assuming all the serial numbers match on the receiver, bolt sleeve, bolt handle, floorplate, bands, stock, etc, AND assuming the bore is not a sewer pipe, AND assuming that there have been NO modifications whatsoever, a Kar 98k could retail anywhere between $800 and $2500. For comparison, Russian Capture (RC) import-marked Kar 98k rifles with telltale electropenciled serial number on the bolt body, restamped serial number on the buttstock, and near black blueing are currently priced between $400 and $550.

That's a big window, but the devil is in the details. Certain factory codes bring huge dollars, other codes are less than "ho-hum."

This also assumes that there is no import mark. I know, there should not be an import mark on a bringback, but in my experience I've come across some owners of "bringbacks" who absolutely SWEAR their grandfather, father, uncle, etc. brought it back, yet there's a very fine import stamp on the right side of the barrel behind the front sight and ahead of the front barrel band.

Sometimes people's memories are not what they used to be, or they cling to a story told long ago by a seller. For example, I was called by a client last spring to appraise a rifle "dating to the Civil War" owned by his uncle since the 1950s. The uncle ceremoniously pulled a Winchester 94 out of a leather case, the whole time telling me how it dated to the 1860s. When I explained that the concept of a lever action did indeed evolve from the middle 1800s, but the rifle before us had a serial number that placed it as being manufactured in 1965, the uncle blew up. I had some references with me, and showed the uncle the S/N chart, and pointed out the stamped loading gate and stamped cartridge lifter and the uncle STILL all but called me a liar, emphatically stating he owned the gun since the 50s. The uncle's wife piped up and reminded him he sold another rifle that he bought back in the 50s, and she recalled him buying this one right after he started a new job in the mid-60s. He all but told his wife to shut up. I took off my white cotton gloves, packed my stuff, and excused myself, saying that I could not help him.

Best of luck. Look the Kar 98k over really close. Use a flashlight and a magnifier to view small details. It probably is what the family says it is, but in my experience that's not always the case.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    Sounds like a bad deal.
    My recollection of the definition of Fair Market Value is the amount a knowledgeable buyer will willingly pay for an item in an open market.

This does not fit your situation as you are being pressured into a purchase of a product that you don't know about and cannot therefore determine a value.

Your choices therefore are:
    - assume it is of poor condition and make offer accordingly. Risk being accused of low-balling.
    - assume it is of perfect condition and make offer accordingly. Risk overpaying.
    - Walk away and never look back. Buy from a cooperative reasonable seller. Risk disappointment over not getting the original gun (I assume it has some sentimental hold on you).
    It just that I know the guy only deals with quality stuff. My friend is buying his Nickel 6" Brown box Python from him for $1600. I know the rifle means a lot to him and I've been trying to buy it from him for years. A R/C goes for $350 this has to worth more.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Not knowing the factory code (byf, bnz, 337, etc) on the receiver ring, and assuming all the serial numbers match on the receiver, bolt sleeve, bolt handle, floorplate, bands, stock, etc, AND assuming the bore is not a sewer pipe, AND assuming that there have been NO modifications whatsoever, a Kar 98k could retail anywhere between $800 and $2500. For comparison, Russian Capture (RC) import-marked Kar 98k rifles with telltale electropenciled serial number on the bolt body, restamped serial number on the buttstock, and near black blueing are currently priced between $400 and $550.

That's a big window, but the devil is in the details. Certain factory codes bring huge dollars, other codes are less than "ho-hum."

This also assumes that there is no import mark. I know, there should not be an import mark on a bringback, but in my experience I've come across some owners of "bringbacks" who absolutely SWEAR their grandfather, father, uncle, etc. brought it back, yet there's a very fine import stamp on the right side of the barrel behind the front sight and ahead of the front barrel band.

Sometimes people's memories are not what they used to be, or they cling to a story told long ago by a seller. For example, I was called by a client last spring to appraise a rifle "dating to the Civil War" owned by his uncle since the 1950s. The uncle ceremoniously pulled a Winchester 94 out of a leather case, the whole time telling me how it dated to the 1860s. When I explained that the concept of a lever action did indeed evolve from the middle 1800s, but the rifle before us had a serial number that placed it as being manufactured in 1965, the uncle blew up. I had some references with me, and showed the uncle the S/N chart, and pointed out the stamped loading gate and stamped cartridge lifter and the uncle STILL all but called me a liar, emphatically stating he owned the gun since the 50s. The uncle's wife piped up and reminded him he sold another rifle that he bought back in the 50s, and she recalled him buying this one right after he started a new job in the mid-60s. He all but told his wife to shut up. I took off my white cotton gloves, packed my stuff, and excused myself, saying that I could not help him.

Best of luck. Look the Kar 98k over really close. Use a flashlight and a magnifier to view small details. It probably is what the family says it is, but in my experience that's not always the case.

Noah
    This is an all to familiar story and I've been burnt before with original WW2 Iver Johnson M1 Carbines and Erma Lugers. But I'm pretty confident it is what is supposed to be. I already made it known that if it was a capture or sporterized I have zero interest. But I will be vigilant and check all over for an Import mark because that changes the game as well. Usually the older the import the better they hid the stamping.
    Last edited by 7998; January 22nd, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

(Elk County)

Before you go examine the piece, spend some time on the Interwebz looking up the mfr codes and which codes and what years are common and uncommon. That can make or break the pricing on a Kar 98k.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Bucks County)

i wouldn't rush into a decision to buy or not to buy before inspecting the rifle. do all your research now so when you inspect the rifle in person you'll be able to tell if it's a something rare or run of the mill. if the guy is that unapproachable i would offer 450 and if he declines I'd walk. i wouldn't trust or buy anything from someone who wants you to rush into a decision before having the opportunity to inspect the rifle to determine it's value.

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i wouldn't rush into a decision to buy or not to buy before inspecting the rifle. do all your research now so when you inspect the rifle in person you'll be able to tell if it's a something rare or run of the mill. if the guy is that unapproachable i would offer 450 and if he declines I'd walk. i wouldn't trust or buy anything from someone who wants you to rush into a decision before having the opportunity to inspect the rifle to determine it's value.
    I can see where you would think that but it was more this.
    Friend 1: "Hey is your buddy still interested in my Dads Mauser?"
    Friend 2: "I don't know I'll ask him how much do you want?"
    Friend 1: "Make me an offer, I'm thinking about letting it go"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast