Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Mossberg 930 SPX 12 vs. Saiga 12

Looking to buy a home defense shotgun. After doing a little research, I'm looking at either a Mossberg 930 SPX 12 or a Saiga 12. Looking for some insight and suggestions. Even a different shotgun, something I overlooked? What is everyones choice and why?
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Mossberg 930 SPX 12 vs. Saiga 12

Quote Originally Posted by Finster View Post
    Looking to buy a home defense shotgun. After doing a little research, I'm looking at either a Mossberg 930 SPX 12 or a Saiga 12. Looking for some insight and suggestions. Even a different shotgun, something I overlooked? What is everyones choice and why?
    I own both, although I haven't converted my Saiga yet.

Mossberg 930 SPX
    --------------------
    Pros:
    - Inexpensive
    - American
    - Ambidextrous (tang safety is nice)
    - Holds 7 rds in the extended tube
    - Comes with mounted Picatinny optics rail (only over receiver, not barrel)
    - Mossberg makes different barrels, can be reconfigured for hunting deer, waterfowl, turkey, etc.
    - Cycles just about everything I've put through it

Cons:
    - Only one pistol grip stock available (from Choate, if you get the model with a standard stock), although it is inexpensive
    - Not a lot of other accessories available
    - Tang safety is hard to engage if you have the pistol grip stock
    - Tube mag takes time to reload if tactical situations are your concern

Saiga 12
    ----------
    Pros:
    - Can be converted to pistol grip stock
    - Hundreds of accessories of all kinds
    - Uses magazines
    - Drums available
    - Threaded barrel, so accepts brakes and compensators
    - Again, never had problems with cycling

Cons:
    - Not lefty friendly (there's no way to work the safety as a lefty)
    - Getting more expensive, and always run the risk of an importation ban depending on the Administration in power
    - Can cost a few hundred on top of purchase price to convert to pistol grip
    - Good rail systems aren't cheap

In short, if you're looking for something cheap and easily available that you can re-task, go for the Mossberg. If you're looking for something you make a project out of and personalize, where money is less a priority and tactical operation is important, then go with the Saiga.

Hope it helps.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Blair County)

Which one you go with, get some trigger time with it. Especially with the ammo that you plan to use.

I might be the wimp of the group here, but I'd use the SPX. It would be less scary showing the picture of it to non-gun people.

That being said before I did some heavy gas system work to my Saiga-12 it jammed two times. Once due to not seating the magazine properly and one dud round. Can't blame those on the gun, which had about 5-6k through it by the time I chopped the barrel.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Beaver County)

There isn't a single part for the 930 that I needed when I started upgrading mine that I couldn't get. Safety (ETA), shell carriers (Tacstar and Mesa Tactical), sling mounts (GG&G), magazine extensions (Choate, Nordic Components), charging handles (ETA, Choate, GG&G), even railed handguards if you want one. There are two different railed handguards. The ETA bobcat and Aimpro. I thought about putting a bobcat rail on mine but I don't need rails for anything, I just like the look of it. I was able to use a light mount designed for a Remington 870 that fits perfectly. It goes on behind the magazine tube cap and it positions my TLR-1S close enough that I don't need a pressure switch. I don't like pistol grip stocks on Mossbergs. I feel like one of the best things about a Mossberg is the position of the safety and you're negating that by using a pistol grip on it. Having said that, Mesa Tactical is supposed to be developing an Urbino pistol grip stock for it (Benelli PG stock cope with 12 1/2" LOP for those of you who don't know). I'm not a fan of the AK platform. The 930 is MUCH more ergonomic than an AK and better looking. Personally, I would rather use a tube fed shotgun than magazine fed. The reason? You can still use it without magazines and carrying extra ammo is easier. The Saiga is only useful as long as you can have mags for it and as soon as you drop your last one in combat or SHTF and can't go back for it, the gun is useless. Magazine tube fed shotguns don't have that problem. Lower capacity? Yeah but they're really not that much slower to reload if you know what you're doing. I can reload an 8 round shotgun in about 8 seconds. Who can honestly say they can reload an AK much faster than that? Maybe chop a couple seconds off that time if you're really good but I can load one directly into the ejection port and then feed the magazine so I can fire if I need to while I feed the magazine. With the Saiga, you're out of the fight until you get a new mag in and charge it.

I love my shotguns. 870 and 930.

(Lehigh County)

Ok my nod would goto a pump like a mossberg 500 or remington 870. Out of your two options I would and did get the saiga and converted it into the ak/ar type setup very nice and upgrades are endless.
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Armstrong County)

I'm into semi-auto shotguns but would not rely one for home defense as much as I would a pump gun like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Any semi-auto is more likely experience a ejection failure and jam than a decent pump gun that costs a 3rd of the price.

If you have a wife you expect to also grab and go with the gun consider a 20 gauge.

In home defense situations where close range shooting is taking place a 20 loaded with a good protection round like Winchester PDX will do the same job and not be a gun a wife will be timid to fire.

For the price of a good semi-auto you can buy three reliable pump guns and have them safely located in multiple rooms.
    The important issue with a home defense weapon is to have one in close proximity at all times.
    If you have only one and keep it in the bedroom and you need it fast when your in the basement or garage you might as well not have it at all.

If you are well practiced and keep one within a seconds reach from anywhere in the home you'll be good to go.

20 video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvb7O6SucEc
    Last edited by Odonnks; January 26th, 2013 at 09:56 AM.

(Lancaster County)

I have a saiga,FN SLP and a beneilli M1 tactical.yea I like shotguns.but my go to gun is a rem 870 in 12ga I had worked over by vang comp.my suggestion to you is shot as many different shotguns as you can and then get the one you like.hope this helps.crazywolf