Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default NICS system failure/overload 1/19-20

I attended the gun show at Pittsburgh Mills on Saturday Jan 19th, and had to leave empty handed because the vendor could not get a ringtone at the FBI NICS background check call center. He tried for over two hours along with another customer who was trying on his own cell phone. The vendor said Sunday was the same. Extremely difficult to get through. Many lost sales by many vendors.

I have also had informal reports of people at gunshops having to wait 2 and 3 hours this past weekend as the store was using 4 phone lines with redial buttons to try to get through.

There seems to be a major failure of the NICS system.

It would be helpful to get and idea of how many people were denied sales because NICS could no be reached.

Please reply to this thread ONLY if you as a purchaser/seller were DENIED a sale because NICS could not be reached to run a check. Please include whether you were purchaser or seller, the date, time of day, and duration of effort in time to reach NICS. If you were a seller please indicate the number of total transactions (not weapons) that you had to turn down or delay to another day.

If you were not denied a sale because NICS could not be reached please start another thread to complain about how long you waited, etc... or that you had no problems. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: NICS system failure/overload 1/19-20

purchaser, 1/19, 11:30 am, 1 hour on two cell phones, and 1.5 hours on 1 phone

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: NICS system failure/overload 1/19-20

Purchaser: Arrived at the shop shortly after 11:00 am and waited till 2:30. Two people ahead of me got through but 3 others gave up an left after waiting. Several others did not even want to get in in line. I was able to pick it up tonight without a wait.