Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Remember, There are no stupid questions.(I hope)

I am a new member here, and just returned to shooting in the last year or two. I have owned a gun since I was 13(37years), with some hunting, but mostly target when I was younger. Got away from guns in college and recently picked it up again so I could teach my 13 year kids about guns and using them safely. I have 3 handguns and 3 shotguns and 2 rifles. One of them is a M&P15-22, just because it was so fun to shoot.
    Can someone please tell me the reason to oppose a national or state gun registration or insurance program? We all register our cars I just can't wrap my head around the problem with guns. I have been know to be naive, so I am not ruling this out. The SA does not say a thing about this.

Please no name calling.

I am just looking for the facts and I will make up my own mind. I have been reading a couple of different forums and have not seen a clear reason. And please do not bring up Hitler. In this day in age, if the cops took guns from one person it would be all over the news/youtube and twitter in 30 minutes or less.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Remember, There are no stupid questions.(I hope)

First off, registration is the first step in confiscation. You have to know where they are to take them! Second driving a car is a privellage, not a right, You do NOT have to register a car to drive it on your own property, Registration becomes required when you wish to drive on public roadways.
    Owning a gun is a RIGHT. I don't want to have to pay an annual registration fee for my firearms! Next they'll take them if your late on the fee.

Quote Originally Posted by billdc View Post
    I am a new member here, and just returned to shooting in the last year or two. I have owned a gun since I was 13(37years), with some hunting, but mostly target when I was younger. Got away from guns in college and recently picked it up again so I could teach my 13 year kids about guns and using them safely. I have 3 handguns and 3 shotguns and 2 rifles. One of them is a M&P15-22, just because it was so fun to shoot.
    Can someone please tell me the reason to oppose a national or state gun registration or insurance program? We all register our cars I just can't wrap my head around the problem with guns. I have been know to be naive, so I am not ruling this out. The SA does not say a thing about this.

Please no name calling.

I am just looking for the facts and I will make up my own mind. I have been reading a couple of different forums and have not seen a clear reason. And please do not bring up Hitler. In this day in age, if the cops took guns from one person it would be all over the news/youtube and twitter in 30 minutes or less.
    Uhm confiscation happened in New Orleans and nobody stopped them, so what were you saying about IF cops took our guns
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

(York County)

Diving your car on the road is a privilege, not a right (just like dogefolks pointed out as I was typing this! ;^) )

You do not take a test or register in any way to exercise your 1st Amendment, so why should you for the 2nd?

Registration will do nothing to prevent crime since criminals will not register and already own guns illegally with no concern for the many laws already in place.

All registration will do is add another hurdle and cost to legal ownership while giving the government a nice list of where to go when they later decide to ban (and confiscate) magazines with more than X number of rounds, or guns with whatever features they later decide are prohibited.

Nothing to be gained, only to be lost.

Confiscation has already happened (Katrina for example) and was largely ignored by the general public and the mainstream media.

Why would you ever support mandatory gun liability insurance? That seems like some BS cooked up by some insurance lobbyists to generate more policies and revenue just like mandatory healthcare insurance.

Yes, you are being very naive.
    Last edited by Broncitis; January 21st, 2013 at 07:14 PM.

If I had any skill at all, I would insert that GIF of Scarlett Johansson eating popcorn. Perhaps Soberbyker can help a brother out.
    Jules

Yep, actual registration is a necessary first step before an enforceable total ban can be implemented. Ordering a free people to surrender guns is unworkable unless you already know where the guns are.

It's also unnecessary, because the background check on the buyers can be done independently of any record of the specific guns bought.

So it's not needed to keep guns away from bad people, but it's critical to make gun confiscation work. Naturally, it's mostly endorsed by people who want to ban all guns.

As for insurance, the fact is that cars cause a tremendous amount of injury and damage every day, and a lot of dimwits with $500 cars think that it's irrational to carry $100K in liability insurance. So the govt forces them to carry at least a token amount. Because that $500 car smashing through a cafe window and rolling over 12 customers is causing just as much harm as a $50,000 car.

Guns, on the other hand, cause relatively little damage, no more than fatty foods or cigarettes or unsupervised children with matches. Besides, there's no Constitutional guarantee for cars, or matches, or chain saws, so if the govt is going to target a product for mandatory insurance, they should start somewhere unprotected.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

I personally believe that people have privacy rights and that the government does not have the right to know everything about its citizens. I am not required to register my cell phone, computer, jacket, baseball bat, kitchen knives, chainsaw, razorblades, attack kittens, hammers, screwdrivers etc..... why should I be required to register a tool that the Constitution specifically says I can own without any infringement?

(Centre County)

Mandatory insurance for gun owners is a de facto ban, the government and the insurance companies could make the rates so high that people could not afford to own guns, thus a gun ban via mandatory insurance.

Would criminals buy gun insurance ...probably not, would they register the guns in their possession...probably not

Anything the gun grabbers introduce only hurts the law abiding citizens of the US, it does NOTHING to curb gun violence, NOTHING. Mind you, they are interested in one thing and one thing only, a total ban of guns within the US.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Broncitis View Post
    Confiscation has already happened (Katrina for example) and was largely ignored by the general public and the mainstream media.

Why would you ever support mandatory gun liability insurance? That seems like some BS cooked up by some insurance lobbyists to generate more policies and revenue just like mandatory healthcare insurance.

Yes, you are being very naive.
    The Confiscation was ordered by the NOPD and later reversed by the US court. So the federal goverment is still protecting the SA.
    The gun insurance in my opinion would be minimal unless you could not account for a gun that was used during a crime, just like car/health insurance, ie;$5 a year/gun if your guns were never stolen without being reported. $50 a year for such a violation, don't you think that would encourage everyone to keep a tightegrip on their guns and not let them fall into the wrong hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Mandatory insurance for gun owners is a de facto ban, the government and the insurance companies could make the rates so high that people could not afford to own guns, thus a gun ban via mandatory insurance.

Would criminals buy gun insurance ...probably not, would they register the guns in their possession...probably not

Anything the gun grabbers introduce only hurts the law abiding citizens of the US, it does NOTHING to curb gun violence, NOTHING. Mind you, they are interested in one thing and one thing only, a total ban of guns within the US.

This is correct.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast