Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Another Shrimp on the Barby: Canik Shark FC ordered

Just placed an order for a Canik Shark FC.
    For those that do not know about them. It is a Turkish made CZ pattern pistol.
    This one is aesthetically based on a IWI Baby Eagle. It differs from the Eagle though by having an alloy frame and a frame mounted safety like a CZ75 rather than a slide mounted decocker found on the Baby Eagle. The magazines are made by MecGar and interchange with CZ75 mags (which I already have a lot of) unlike the Baby Eagle which works with Winess mags. This is also a compensated model, hence the FC name standing for full size compensated.
    They were out of Satin Chrome so I settled for the poly coat.

Here are some videos if you want to see one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-AfvKAUoc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CT4zNAIDvKU

I am very excited for this pistol. I just hope my wife doesn't steal it. Lol. Now if I could just find SP01 18rd mags in stock somewhere I'd be very excited.
    Last edited by Armor Snail; January 21st, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

(Northampton County)

Default Update**

I picked it up earlier today from EFR. Love it so far. Haven't shot it live yet.

Pros:

Fish scale slide serrations.
    There isn't a whole lot of slide to grab so these are excellent. Very grippy. Much better than the slanted serrations on my CZ75.
    Front and rear verticle serrations also on the grip.

Sights.
    Decent two dot LPA rear sight. Simple dot post up front. Sight picture picks up quick. I would like to upgrade in the future though.

Weight.
    The alloy frame is noticeably lighter than my CZ when holstered. Score another for fitting perfectly in the same holster. Wasn't sure it would due to the full length railed dust cover.

Mag release:
    Nice extended mag release that is oblong shaped rather than just an almost flush sitting circle.

Cons:

Safety.
    Very small usable surface area and out of the box it is very stiff. Awkward angle too. Seems like they tried to emulate the CZ SAO safety but narfed it up. Where as my 75 is very 1911ish by disengaging with a simple flick of the thumb. This requires a definitive push in a downward motion.
    It is all moot for me as I carry condition 2 due to my holsters thumb break. Hopefully it loosens up though.
    The safety also will engage in DA similarly to a Witness.

Magazines:
    It came with 2 high quality Mec Gar magazines. The baseplates seem like a cheap polymer though.
    Unfortunately it would not accept my CZ rubber pads. The pins did not line up.
    Although it does lock up well and drop free with my CZ mags. The supplied mags also lock fine in my CZ. So compatibility is a plus.

Hammer:
    The hammer is very nice. Good surface size. It is a little bloated for me though.
    It is a holster issue for me as I do carry in DA but normally at the half cock notch. With the oversized hammer at half cock the thumbreak will not snap shut. Nothing range time wont fix for that first shot.

All in all so far a very nice gun. Flawless finish. Looks like some kind of poly coat.
    Extremely nice slide to frame fit. Almost no play. No rattle.
    The trigger feels like it should in SA and will only get better after a thousand rounds or so. DA seems a touch farther than my CZ but is smooth enough.

I think I am going to be very happy with it.
    The Canik Shark FC is a very welcoming combination. I wanted a SP01 variant to utilize the rail for bedside duty. Thought about a Phantom due to the lighter weight but plastic really isn't my game. I always loved the looks of the Baby Eagle but I don't like slide mounted controls or decockers and didn't want to invest in all new mags.

This is the total package for me right now. Plus I couldn't find an SP01 or a Phantom to save my life. Found the Eagle locally but as per the reasons stated above declined.

After hearing and seeing great things first hand from Brian @ EFR and reading about the many happy owners on the CZ forum I had to have one.

Hopefully this weekend we can get rounds through her and ready to carry.
    Will definitely do some night testing as well to evaluate any flash blind due to the porting.

Now some pics.

Sporting Houge Extreme G10 grips (another con is that the factory grips are slippery playskool plastic)
    & SP01 18rd magazine.

Factory magazine. Fits flush but the baseplate is as cheap as the grips. I'm sure they will hold up but look like butt in person.

And with my CZ75 for comparison.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Another Shrimp on the Barby: Canik Shark FC ordered

Finally got to the range with it today.
    Shot what I could spare. Very accurate. About as accurate as my CZ. Smooth follow ups.

50 rds of PPU 115g fmj
    It loves it. POI was spot on POA.

80 rds of AE 147g fmj
    Grouped nice and tight but was hitting low and left.

25 rds Critical Defense 115g jhp
    Shot as tight as the PPU but POI was about a ½" low

33 rds Federal Hi-Shok 115gr jhp
    Again very tight groups and perfect POI

I love this gun. Not one malfunction.

Was shooting at 35'.

Used both included Mec Gar mags, an SP01 18rd mag, a stainless CZ mag, and a 16rd CZ Mec Gar magazine.

The safety has loosened up to an acceptable level.
    I also discovered today that the sights are a day glo type night sights.

I still want to get an evening session in and some 124 gr NATO FM through it.

The only issue I have is not the guns fault but my right side of my thin aluminum CZ Custom grips do not fit into the frame. The left side does. Just not the right.
    The Houges feel great though.

Headed to see family tonight. Will carry it to get the feel but it won't see regular carry until I get another 150 rds or so down range for my own piece of mind.
    I do trust it but I'll feel better with a little higher count down the pipe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2