Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Got this response from Gerlach

I'm not quite sure how to take this. He's either keeping his cards close to his vest, or he's getting ready to "pull a Casey".

Thank you for your contacting me regarding your thoughts on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, in the aftermath of the school shootings in Newtown, CT, Vice President Joe Biden was charged with leading a task force including members of advocacy groups, teachers, elected officials, and sports and wildlife conservationists to prepare recommendations for President Obama on how to reduce gun violence. On January 16th, President Obama unveiled this broad package of measures that range from legislative proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips to Executive Orders to improve incentives for states to contribute records to federal background check systems established under existing law. I look forward to the President bringing these plans to Congress where I hope to have an open and honest discussion with my House colleagues and constituents about how to protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens while, at the same time, preventing those who lack the ability and competency to responsibly use firearms from obtaining and using them to harm innocent victims.

Let me make it explicitly clear that my policy positions and votes on legislation are driven and determined by what I believe will be in the best interests of the over 700,000 constituents who I represent in the Sixth Congressional District of Pennsylvania. Our constituency is made up of individuals with a diverse range of opinions and beliefs on all issues, including polarizing and sensitive topics such as gun control, and it is my responsibility to take into consideration all of these thoughts and opinions before making any final decision as to how I will vote on legislation.

With that being said, during my tenure in Congress, I have supported legislation to preserve and protect the constitutional rights of our citizens, including those rights provided under the Second Amendment. However, as is the case with every bill that comes to the House floor, I will evaluate each piece of legislation and weigh the costs, benefits and expected impact of such legislation against the concerns and views of my constituents and one's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or your family in the future.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

Jim Gerlach
    Member of Congress

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Got this response from Gerlach

Quote Originally Posted by red_eagle View Post
    I'm not quite sure how to take this. He's either keeping his cards close to his vest, or he's getting ready to "pull a Casey".

Thank you for your contacting me regarding your thoughts on gun control. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, in the aftermath of the school shootings in Newtown, CT, Vice President Joe Biden was charged with leading a task force including members of advocacy groups, teachers, elected officials, and sports and wildlife conservationists to prepare recommendations for President Obama on how to reduce gun violence. On January 16th, President Obama unveiled this broad package of measures that range from legislative proposals to ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips to Executive Orders to improve incentives for states to contribute records to federal background check systems established under existing law. I look forward to the President bringing these plans to Congress where I hope to have an open and honest discussion with my House colleagues and constituents about how to protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens while, at the same time, preventing those who lack the ability and competency to responsibly use firearms from obtaining and using them to harm innocent victims.

Let me make it explicitly clear that my policy positions and votes on legislation are driven and determined by what I believe will be in the best interests of the over 700,000 constituents who I represent in the Sixth Congressional District of Pennsylvania. Our constituency is made up of individuals with a diverse range of opinions and beliefs on all issues, including polarizing and sensitive topics such as gun control, and it is my responsibility to take into consideration all of these thoughts and opinions before making any final decision as to how I will vote on legislation.

With that being said, during my tenure in Congress, I have supported legislation to preserve and protect the constitutional rights of our citizens, including those rights provided under the Second Amendment. However, as is the case with every bill that comes to the House floor, I will evaluate each piece of legislation and weigh the costs, benefits and expected impact of such legislation against the concerns and views of my constituents and one's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Thank you for contacting me regarding this important issue. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you or your family in the future.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

Jim Gerlach
    Member of Congress
    Gee, I guess Mr Gerlach missed the part about "...Support and Defend the Constitution...." in his Oath of Office. Yet another twat waffle posing as a "representative" of the People....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Dauphin County)

To be honest with you, I believe that is a very good response. Our representatives do have a duty to represent the expressed wishes of their constituents on issues that they may not have declared a position on during their campaign. Too many representatives have decided beforehand that they will represent their party rather than their constituents. What Rep. Gerlach has said to you is this: "Whoever influences me the most, whoever makes the most phone calls, writes the most letters, comes to my office most, makes the most compelling argument, will win my vote on this issue."

Your job now: influence him most.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    To be honest with you, I believe that is a very good response. Our representatives do have a duty to represent the expressed wishes of their constituents on issues that they may not have declared a position on during their campaign. Too many representatives have decided beforehand that they will represent their party rather than their constituents. What Rep. Gerlach has said to you is this: "Whoever influences me the most, whoever makes the most phone calls, writes the most letters, comes to my office most, makes the most compelling argument, will win my vote on this issue."

Your job now: influence him most.
    No, his job is to:
    "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey
    and defend the Constitution of the United States and the
    Constitution of this Commonwealth and that I will discharge the
    duties of my office with fidelity."
    His job is NOT to pander to whomever makes the most phone calls or "influences" him the most.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    No, his job is to:

His job is NOT to pander to whomever makes the most phone calls or "influences" him the most.
    I understand your point, but if you are counting on being able to trust him to vote according to that oath, especially in the face of overwhelming correspondence from anti-gunners, you're fooling only yourself. He's not gonna do what you want just because it's the right thing, you're gonna have to push him on it.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Luzerne County)

Sounds more like a fence sitting politician if I ever heard yet...

(Chester County)

He's in a nasty position. On one hand if votes against a ban, in the SE, they'll be calling him every name in the book (especially in the Philly Enquirer). If he votes for the ban, this will most likely lose the next election. Gun owners have long memories.

(Montgomery County)

With all due respect he is not in a bad position. His JOB is to protect and defend the Constitution period. That is what they swore to not to protect and defend the way the wind blows. I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution and am doing everything I can to honor that oath. I pray everyone of you are also. When this comes down one way or the other its no time to wish you would have written a letter. Write a letter or two or three every night. How many letters is your freedom worth. Make no mistake it is about your freedom and your kids and grand kids and so on. Heck just write it once and cut and past. Ruger made is so simple an idiot can do it. Stop watching the game and protect your rights before you loose them.

-------------------------------
    This may be interesting if you haven't seen it.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/3020...town-shooting/

Millions and Millions of people have been slaughtered in the 21st century after being disarmed in the name of safety. Why will we not learn the drill. A government afraid of it's people with try to disarm them.

This isn't politics as usual the very foundation of our freedoms are being attacked. If they "tweek" the Second Amendment not one that is left is worth the paper it is printed on. This isn't the first Amendment to come under attack but when we loose this one we loose them all.
    Last edited by thumbs; January 22nd, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: info deleted not needed

Don't kid yourselves, guys. These politicians don't know nor CARE about what they take an Oath to do. To them, it's the equivalent of clicking through the EULA/TOS when installing Windows. It's all just ceremonial junk they have to go through to make their living as career politicians.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDevil View Post
    Don't kid yourselves, guys. These politicians don't know nor CARE about what they take an Oath to do. To them, it's the equivalent of clicking through the EULA/TOS when installing Windows. It's all just ceremonial junk they have to go through to make their living as career politicians.
    That is no excuse and is unacceptable. The Constitution also provides for a government like that also. In fact it is our duty as American Citizens to uphold the Constitution even if the government won't. We must do everything we can politically to wake these people up. I understand the fed gov agenda. What I don't understand is why the NRA and others are so quiet. I would also think this is a perfect platform for, the almost dead, Republican party to rally around. The only thing they are reasonably good at is asking for money.