Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default New gun on my wish list

I want a Omen

AR Platform .300 Winchester Magnum 1000 yard sub MOA accuracy.

A little pricey but what isn't these days.

(Butler County)

Default Re: New gun on my wish list

Off to buy a lottery ticket.

(Lackawanna County)

ive decided that if this AWB goes through Im buying a big boomer as my first post purchase. 300 win mag or 338. I may not get to shoot it much to its potential but I'll get to feel like I got one over on the antis.

Quote Originally Posted by ALS View Post
    I want a Omen

AR Platform .300 Winchester Magnum 1000 yard sub MOA accuracy.

A little pricey but what isn't these days.

It is pretty. Lol, I doubt it's sub moa for most people. Hard enough to have consistency in cartridges that don't use as much powder in a gas system. Couple that with the complications that I've posted up in other posts, it's not as easy as people make it look. The funny thing is, it's difficult for most people to be sub moa consistently with a magnum in a bolt action rifle because of the recoil. Operator definitely makes a huge difference. Oh, and I don't believe for a second that she shot both of those groups first time shooting past 330 yards, especially on a .300 winmag. Someone probably shot them, but not her.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; January 20th, 2013 at 10:52 PM.

(Luzerne County)

About long range shooting: I did not see any autoloaders at a 1000 yard bench rest shoot. There was a lot of bolt actions, and some single shots, amd some pipe looking things that did not even look like rifles. There were big telescopes and reloading equipment on the bench next to the rifles. Makes you wonder what is really needed to shoot really, really far. Oh, and I did not see camo paint jobs on any of the rifles, but some of the people did have camo field jackets on....
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Berks County)

Wow. Nice.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    About long range shooting: I did not see any autoloaders at a 1000 yard bench rest shoot. There was a lot of bolt actions, and some single shots, amd some pipe looking things that did not even look like rifles. There were big telescopes and reloading equipment on the bench next to the rifles. Makes you wonder what is really needed to shoot really, really far. Oh, and I did not see camo paint jobs on any of the rifles, but some of the people did have camo field jackets on....
    When you get into the true long range over 1000 yards I find that very few people know what it takes or just how far that is. Me included. Im fascinated by the long range shooting aspect. Fascinated by snipers and have read almost every sniper book thats come out detailing stories about their exploits in combat. But dedicated long range shooting is a whole new ball game. First round 1000 yard hits are insane when you think of it.

(Allegheny County)

Nathan if you want to do it, take a Precision Rifle class down at Blackwater now called Academi. They'll take you out on the 1,200 known distance range and walk you right out to 1000 yards. Usually every student is nailing the targets at 1,000 yards at the worse in the two or three MOA area by the end of three day PII class. Academi/course schedule/2013

It requires a skill set but mostly it takes practice, repetition and learning to make and the use of a Shooting Data Book correctly. Knowing you rifle and its capabilities and where it will put that first cold bore shot every time.

Military snipers get to burn through a whole lot of match grade ammunition over a year and there is what makes the difference.

(Lackawanna County)

id love to do it. unfortunately its not cheap to do and I would have to pick up a rig to get me out to 1000 yards plus and the glass to do it. My current long range precision rig just wont cut it beyone 800 Im afraid.

Drool... i need a better job