Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Semi-Automatic magazine fed hunting rifles

What are some examples of these? What are some of actions (Gas, Direct, etc)?What are the current capacity of these rifles? Does anyone make larger capacity magazines for these?
    My thought process is to turn a hunting rifle into something that'll make Anti's wet there pants.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Wayne County)

Default Re: Semi-Automatic magazine fed hunting rifles

Browning BAR comes to mind, the army experimented with a normal cap mag ( most BARs carry 4 rounds)but they were never made available to the public or produced en mass. If you want a version with a normal capacity magazine the FN FNAR looks more on the hunting side. I think it's on the ban list IIRC but I could be wrong......
    I always sleep with my guns when you are gone

Quote Originally Posted by Splittiebus66 View Post
    Browning BAR comes to mind, the army experimented with a normal cap mag ( most BARs carry 4 rounds)but they were never made available to the public or produced en mass. If you want a version with a normal capacity magazine the FN FNAR looks more on the hunting side. I think it's on the ban list IIRC but I could be wrong......
    The BAR is still very much alive.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...02B&catalog_=B

I could hunt NY state with ANY autolader provided it didn't have a magazine capacity of more than five. I.E. Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

You need to investigate the FN-FNAR. Military version of BAR.

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    What are some examples of these? What are some of actions (Gas, Direct, etc)?What are the current capacity of these rifles? Does anyone make larger capacity magazines for these?
    My thought process is to turn a hunting rifle into something that'll make Anti's wet there pants.
    Many of the rifles that you will find that were once popular have been discontinued. Things like the Remington 7400 aren't offered anymore. Remington does offer the 750 Woodmaster. Benelli makes the R1. Winchester used to make the SXR rifle, but it's discontinued. As far as I know, there are no high capacity magazines for any of the rifles. For their intended use, most hunters just don't have much use for more than around 4 rounds in a magazine, so there's never been a demand for them. The FNAR is related to and derived from the Browning BAR, but the bottom of the receiver is different, and similar to an AR style. It would still be considered an "assault rifle". the other downside is that it only has a 1:12 twist, so you can forget shooting heavy .308 bullets. They do make 10 and 20 round mags for the FNAR, but they use a different release system, and I'm guessing the bottom of the receivers are different, so you probably won't have much luck modifying one to work in a BAR, or not reliably anyway. Most other semi auto centerfire rifles would be considered "assault rifles".

Honestly, I don't know why you're too concerned with what anti's think, or if they're going to "wet their pants". Why not just try to educate people? If anti's had any sense, they'd realize that many of these hunting rifles should be more feared than an AR-15. 4+1 of .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 winmag, or any of the other magnums is a considerable amount of firepower. It will cut through trauma plates like a hot knife through butter. The trouble is they're ignorant, so they don't have a clue what the should "wet their pants about", or anything else. Honestly, I think what you're wanting to do is misguided. Even if you try to customize some magazine or something else, it'll likely just be an expensive failure that does nothing productive even if you did succeed. I think it's silly, but it's your money.

Remington 7400 - 10 round mags are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Many of the rifles that you will find that were once popular have been discontinued. Things like the Remington 7400 aren't offered anymore. Remington does offer the 750 Woodmaster. Benelli makes the R1. Winchester used to make the SXR rifle, but it's discontinued. As far as I know, there are no high capacity magazines for any of the rifles. For their intended use, most hunters just don't have much use for more than around 4 rounds in a magazine, so there's never been a demand for them. The FNAR is related to and derived from the Browning BAR, but the bottom of the receiver is different, and similar to an AR style. It would still be considered an "assault rifle". the other downside is that it only has a 1:12 twist, so you can forget shooting heavy .308 bullets. They do make 10 and 20 round mags for the FNAR, but they use a different release system, and I'm guessing the bottom of the receivers are different, so you probably won't have much luck modifying one to work in a BAR, or not reliably anyway. Most other semi auto centerfire rifles would be considered "assault rifles".

Honestly, I don't know why you're too concerned with what anti's think, or if they're going to "wet their pants". Why not just try to educate people? If anti's had any sense, they'd realize that many of these hunting rifles should be more feared than an AR-15. 4+1 of .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 winmag, or any of the other magnums is a considerable amount of firepower. It will cut through trauma plates like a hot knife through butter. The trouble is they're ignorant, so they don't have a clue what the should "wet their pants about", or anything else. Honestly, I think what you're wanting to do is misguided. Even if you try to customize some magazine or something else, it'll likely just be an expensive failure that does nothing productive even if you did succeed. I think it's silly, but it's your money.
    Fair enough. Maybe I am looking at the idea with a little biased. And trust me I've done more than my share of educating anti's. I've converted quite a few gun fearing Anti's into Liberty loving Gun-nuts. I just like the idea of a 20 or 30 round .300 magnum rifle. Screw it, it would probably be cheaper to buy a 1919.
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

(Lebanon County)

While not semis, you do have bolt actions with big box magazines, like the Ruger gunsite scout, or the mossberg mvp predator rifle that accepts AR magazines. The Ruger especially, in. 308 still brings a considerable amount of firepower with 10 and 15 round magazines iirc, even if it is "just a bolt action."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post

I do not understand your thought process at all. "Wet their pants"?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I do not understand your thought process at all. "Wet their pants"?
    I misspelled that on purpose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast