Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Side Folder Review

I know a lot of folks are looking for information on these rifles that Iron Clad is building... I've got about 700 rounds through mine so far (headed to the range again tomorrow for a few hundred more) and here's what I've found.

Pros:

-Reliable. The rifle has had 0 malfunctions
    -Accurate. As with most 74 type rifles, it's more accurate than most people think AKs can be. I've shot several 2'' groups at 100m with this rifle and 7N6 (to include the group in the video below)
    -The CHF CL 1 in 8 RH twist barrel. As far as I know, these are the first US made CHF CL barrels out there. Not all ICA rifles come with these barrels but it's an 'upgrade' option they offer if you order direct from them (the other barrels they use are CL US made barrels from Curtis at akbuilder.com). According to the owner, they get the are sourced from MIL/LE supplier and then turned down in house by ICA.
    -Gun Kote finish. I have several rifles with this finish and I really like it compared to other AK finishes on the market.
    -The side folder stock locks up tight in both positions.
    -Built on matching Bulgy parts kit.
    -Cost. These rifles seem to go from between $700-$1100 depending on the options (milled/stamped receiver, Iron Wood or K-Var furniture, side rail/no side rail, CHF or standard US barrel, side folder vs standard stock, ect...)
    -The receivers (both stamped and milled) are made in house by ICA so they offer the option for the buyer to pick their own serial number on the receiver. Not really a big deal but NoDak has stopped this option as far as I know so if it's something you're looking for they'll do it for you.
    -They are CA friendly for you trapped behind enemy lines.

Cons:

-The only one I can think of in terms of the rifle is the slight indent in the receiver I talk about in the video but it really isn't an issue to me but I know it will be for some.
    -Availability. Like everyone else these days, ICA is backordered. I think the wait varies on the rifle you order but last I heard it was 8-12 weeks.

Here's the video where I do a little shooting, show and discuss the barrel, take the rifle down, shoot a group with some 7N6, and discuss my experience with ordering from ICA:

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Side Folder Review

Those photos scare me. If you do not remove them, I will report you for scary photo violations!

Keep up the good work. For now, I'll have to stick to my 22LR GSG-AK47 side-folder.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Hey plouffedaddy, I appreciate your review on an ICA product. I’ve been hard spent trying to find anything on these guys in the way of reviews on their rifles. I am currently waiting on an AK47 with a milled receiver from Iron Clad Armory. So far the customer service has been very nice and friendly. When the nice lady who answered the phone did not know the answer to my question she would pass me directly to their gun smith.

My question for you is in regards to the CHF Chrome lined barrel. Did you have to specifically ask for a CHF Chrome lined barrel when you placed your order? I took it for granted that all their barrels were CHF.
    Also, in your experience what has been the most effective muzzle break for an AK 47? Or is the standard slant break effective enough for pretty good re-centering on targets?

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work!

~BEATUPHAT

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BEATUPHAT View Post
    Also, in your experience what has been the most effective muzzle break for an AK 47? Or is the standard slant break effective enough for pretty good re-centering on targets?

~BEATUPHAT
    The slant break was designed to be effective during full auto strings. I've never did any "testing" but there are better ones out there for semi-auto AKs
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF