Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default West Shore Sportsmen - indoor range

At the monthly meeting this past Tuesday, a change to the Constitution and By-Laws was submitted and read. It has been, per the C and BL, posted in the clubhouse. It will be voted on at the January meeting and, if ratified, becomes effective immediately.

The change will take away the restriction that requires only lead to be shot in the indoor range. If this passes, FMJ will also be allowed. There will be ballistics limits (to lessen wear and tear on the steel), but, for the most part, anything that one would want to shoot in there will be allowed.

Indoor range hours are 8am to 11pm - so if you need a place to shoot after work and/or in the winter, there you go.

(York County)

Default Re: West Shore Sportsmen - indoor range

cool, now i can shoot my G30 inside when its raining or after sunset. i haven't been to the last 2 meetings but I'll try and go to the January meeting.

Did they bump Decembers meeting forward a week because of Christmas?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    cool, now i can shoot my G30 inside when its raining or after sunset. i haven't been to the last 2 meetings but I'll try and go to the January meeting.
    Please do. We can use all the votes that we can get. Not everyone agrees with the change.

Did they bump Decembers meeting forward a week because of Christmas?
    Yeppers!

If you're at the January meeting, stop over and say hi.

(York County)

FYI - the amendment failed by TWO VOTES at the January meeting.

HOWEVER, it was immediately brought up again (much to the chargin of some of those in attendance) for consideration - and it's being voted on this Tuesday at the montly meeting.

7:30pm at West Shore on Tuesday, March 28th. Be there if you can!
    Last edited by NoHackrLtd; March 28th, 2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Couldn't spell attendance worth a darn.... :D

(York County)

At the last monthly meeting, the special committe to investigate the safety of indoor range presented their report. The committee had representatives from all shooting disciplines. The results were that shooting just about ANY handgun load would not damage the backstop, and that shooting FMJ bullets was actually *safer* than shooting lead bullets. The results of the committee seemed to REALLY change the minds of many of the members who were very opposed to shooting FMJ bullets indoors. I would say the vast majority in attendance that night would now have no problem with FMJ bullets indoors.

So, if you'd like to shoot FMJ bullets inside, please do come out tomorrow night and vote!!!

Chris

(York County)

Talking Re: West Shore Sportsmen - indoor range

To be perfectly honest, I'm shocked at the turnaround on the vote last evening.

The group analysis and testing of the impact of lead -vs- jacketed bullets actually changed some minds. I fully expected another close vote, not what actually transpired.

The vote was 60 in favor, 2 against and 1 abstaining.

The indoor range is still closed, but is expected to open at the end of the week.

Kudos to the guys who pitched in to get the range conditions back to normal and the safety improvements. When the indoor range re-opens, it will be under the new rules for bullets - both jacketed and lead.

Now let's get back to what we should be doing - throwing lead downrange!

(Lancaster County)

Question Re: West Shore Sportsmen - indoor range

Hey,

This sounds like a cool place. Does anyone know if there are membership openings there? I'm in the Dover area.

I've been looking to join a gun club; I've been coming across to many knuckleheads at the public ranges.

Thanks,
    TD

(York County)

Hello TD,

I'm Chris and I live in York, very close to Dover. I'm a relatively new member at West Shore and yes, they are always looking for new members. It's a very nice shooting club with many ranges to use and varied shooting disciplines. Here are their websites:

http://www.westshoresportsmen.org/

http://www.skywardthought.com/westsh...site/index.php

Go visit on some Saturday, and I'm sure there will be someone to show you around. You can pickup a membership application there, or it's also available on the website.

Chris

(York County)

TD - stop up on a Thursday night for IDPA practice - there's always members there and you can pickup an application at that time. As long as it's in before the next meeting (last Thursday of the month), you should have no problem getting a membership there.

Great bunch of guys and gals up there; you'd enjoy it.

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: West Shore Sportsmen - indoor range

I joined the West Shore Sportsmen Association around the beggining of the year and finally got a chance to go there and do some shooting on friday. I took some time to look over the place as far as the outside ranges go, and I though it looked pretty nice. Seems to be plenty of room for a lot of people to enjoy. Hardly anyone there on a weekday, so had my pick of ranges. Glad i joined.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast