Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Concealed carry question in Delco

Hey guys, So I applied for my CC permit about a month ago at the Media courthouse as I live in Delco. I work as a doctor in the area and was wary about my supervisor being called by the sheriff as I work primarily amongst a very liberal, anti-gun crowd. I ticked "target shooting" as my primary reason for getting the permit as the explanation to my superiors was a bit easier to explain. I would like to carry concealed when I am outside of work but I'm not sure I can because I did not tick the "self-defense" option on my application.

Can I carry concealed in the community if I did not tick the "self-defense" box on my permit application??

Thanks in advance for any insight,
    Peter

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Concealed carry question in Delco

Welcome

The "reason" you select on your LTCF means nothing in the eyes of the law. It's all the same. All LTCFs are the same

It is ILLEGAL for the Sheriff to disclose to your references or anyone else in the public that you are applying for a LTCF, even your references or employer. If they disclose it and you lose your job due to that, Id imagine your lawsuit against them would pay handsomely
    Last edited by BimmerJon; January 18th, 2013 at 12:10 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrrogers191980 View Post
    Hey guys, So I applied for my CC permit about a month ago at the Media courthouse as I live in Delco. I work as a doctor in the area and was wary about my supervisor being called by the sheriff as I work primarily amongst a very liberal, anti-gun crowd. I ticked "target shooting" as my primary reason for getting the permit as the explanation to my superiors was a bit easier to explain. I would like to carry concealed when I am outside of work but I'm not sure I can because I did not tick the "self-defense" option on my application.

Can I carry concealed in the community if I did not tick the "self-defense" box on my permit application??

Thanks in advance for any insight,
    Peter
    Short answer: yes, you may carry in the same places and manners that you would be allowed to if you had checked self-defense.

For a good idea of what that does and doesn't include this is well worth reading: http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...nsylvania.html
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Jefferson County)

The reason for the license means nothing. There is no statutory limitations placed upon the licensee due to the issuance reason. A LTCF is valid for any lawful purpose.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Welcome

The "reason" you select on your LTCF means nothing in the eyes of the law. It's all the same. All LTCFs are the same

It is ILLEGAL for the Sheriff to disclose to your references or anyone else in the public that you are applying for a LTCF, even your references or employer. If they disclose it and you lose your job due to that, Id imagine your lawsuit against them would pay handsomely
    I have been through the process with the Delco SO 3 or 4 times now and they only once called references to my knowledge and they definitively did disclose the purpose of the reference check. During that process they called my employer as well as my references. My employer was in the Boston, MA are -- need I say more about their political leanings. Not much was said to me about it though - thankfully.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by shermdo View Post
    I have been through the process with the Delco SO 3 or 4 times now and they only once called references to my knowledge and they definitively did disclose the purpose of the reference check. During that process they called my employer as well as my references. My employer was in the Boston, MA are -- need I say more about their political leanings. Not much was said to me about it though - thankfully.
    There are few things I bend on... But if Delco did that to me, Id empty my bank account to sue them with everything I had.

I recently applied for a LTCF in Chester County, and I checked target shooting, as you did.

When the deputy reviewed my application, he said I had to make another selection, because you don't need a LTCF for target shooting.

When I applied in Chester County three years ago, I had checked "target shooting." At the time I had no intention to carry. The deputy slid the application back across the counter and told me to check "self defense." Which I did, and that's what my license says. My concern with having something else on my LTCF is that a cop in some other state would likely see it as a restricted license, and things could turn messy and possibly expensive.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    When I applied in Chester County three years ago, I had checked "target shooting." At the time I had no intention to carry. The deputy slid the application back across the counter and told me to check "self defense." Which I did, and that's what my license says. My concern with having something else on my LTCF is that a cop in some other state would likely see it as a restricted license, and things could turn messy and possibly expensive.
    I don't know that the average cop in another state would have memorized what states have resiprocity with which others, let along if it is a restricted license.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

If you used your firearm in a self defense situation, you'd definitely be shooting at a "target"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast