Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default who has a springfield xd-s 45?

honest opinions, recoil? reliability....i want one of these but have no way to shoot for myself...they feel real nice, owners of this baby cannon school me.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: who has a springfield xd-s 45?

I have one,

It's a shame, I actually carry it very, very rarely. I bought it to be my new single-stack carry after I had thoroughly convinced myself that the round count in a snubby is more than enough for anything based in reality...then that loon in Colorado shot up the movie theater and it dropped a wet blanket on me. I see it as enough for 'gentlemanly' self-defense (get me out of a situation) but not enough to 'fight' if in the exceedingly rare and obscure occasion that one might need to 'fight' to save ones life. Sucks because its a good pistol.

I've put about 350 rounds thru mine and its never skipped a beat, tho this is hardly enough to vouch for its long-term performance or reliability. It's accurate but I only shoot it out to 15-yards max and thats rare, more 7-10 yards is where I practice with it.

Very Very crisp trigger, its really quite good with a tactile and crisp break and reset.

Just enough muzzle flip so that dont shoot it rapidly (ammo dump style), 'stout' but definitely not excessive or a chore at all. I feel the energy of the recoil but its quite manageable for me.

Doesnt give me any issues placing rounds on target and the hi-viz fiber optic front sight makes target acquisition a rapid breeze. The sights are really quite fantastic.

The grip safety IMO just encourages you to properly hold the pistol when firing or at least it does that for me.

The knobs/texturing of the grip is not unduly aggressive , they are sized to be useful as for me it really does allow me to get and keep a good firm grip and control while firing (like I said, the need to engage the grip safety also contributes as it makes you hold it right), even single-handed.

It's just about the exact size and width of a Walther PPS.
    Last edited by Big-O; January 19th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.

(Franklin County)

@250 rounds thru one - no problems. Recoil is less than you might expect, not difficult to handle. Trigger is good (or better).

Don't believe you will discover any unexpected / unpleasant surprises when shooting one.

(Allegheny County)

I currently dont have one,but my buddy does and I have shot it 3 different times. Great little handgun. About 50 rounds through it I have fired. No problems and the recoil is low enough to keep on perfect target! I definately want one in the near future.

(Lackawanna County)

I do not own one, but a guy at my local range let me shoot a few rounds through his XD-S. I reciprocated his kindness by letting him borrow my SA SS Loaded 1911 for a few rounds down range. You really do meet some of the nicest people at a gun range, but I digress.

I loved it. Smooth trigger. Unexpectedly light recoil from a .45 (that's a comparable midget next to the firearm I let him borrow). It is surprisingly thin...just a hair wider than the Ruger LC9 that I also had at the range. After shooting it, it has definitely made it to my wish list.

Good luck finding one though...it's relative newness and the recent gun buying craziness will definitely have them in short supply.

(Carbon County)

good to hear, i actually have one coming in this week. i am getting it sight unseen only because it was coming in.

(Delaware County)

this may or may not help but between this and the shield i went with the shield. the #1 reason for the shield over the xds was the round count, the #2 reason was I do not like the grip safety feature on the XD pistols. shooting straight from a draw, low by the hip could potentially cause the XDS not to fire because of an improper grip. JMO
    take it for what its worth.

(Franklin County)

I have one. Great little gun. I have not had it long. No issues so far with a wide range of ammo, including my own handloads. I hit rather well with this pistol out to 25 yards (I have not shot further).

I find the little gun surprisingly easy to shoot and very easy to conceal and carry. Doesn't have 16 rounds, but with a spare mag, I do not feel undergunned. I often carry this gun and my J-frame at the same time.
    Too many guns?

(Cumberland County)

xds = the best, period. lol. can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by kel ruger man View Post
    good to hear, i actually have one coming in this week. i am getting it sight unseen only because it was coming in.
    I sold my pf9 to upgrade to the xds. It's my everyday carry and I love it. It has about 300 rounds down range. I've experienced zero issues with it. When at the range you will start the feel the rigid backstrap on your hands after 100 rounds or so. It conceals well with my iwb foxx holster. The plastic holster that comes with it is ok. Currently, I have it mounted in my jeep between the seats so it can ride next to me. I have the extended mag but its only for the range because to me it defeats the smaller conceal purpose. The recoil isn't bad at all. If you've shot ant xd before its pretty much the same. The grip safety doesn't bother me either

I've shot:
    230 gr American eagle range ammo
    200 gr reloads
    200 gr +p Hornady tap

To me I can't really tell that much difference over my xd9 as far as recoil.

If you were closer I'd say swing by and shoot mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast