Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default H&A .22 Revolver problem

I have a Hopkins and Allen X.L Double Action 22 revolver, it has a 2.5 inch octagon barrel. I have three questions

1)I do not see a serial number anywhere, the only number I see is behind the trigger guard on the metal that the plastic grips screw to. It is a very low number, under 200, is that the serial number or does it mean something else?

2)The gun was fuctioning in single action only, it would work in double action if I manually pushed the trigger forward, I am assuming a spring or something is broke. Now the hammer will not come back at all, could a spring be broke and jamming it? I see one screw and everything else is pins and the frame appears to be one piece and not come apart. Is there any way to take it apart, I would be happy if I could get it working in single action?

3) It doesn't say what caliber it shoots but it is clearly a .22, was it designed to shoot S,L and LR?

I know the gun isn't worth taking to a gunsmith but I would like to try and get it working

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: H&A .22 Revolver problem

You take it apart by driving out the pins. The trigger assembly will come out from below. The hammer will come out after driving another pin.

They pretty much go together and come apart like H&R guns of similar appearance.

As to the specific problems you are having, yeah - it sounds like you have a broken or missing spring. Possibly some gummed up parts.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

If it was made pre- 1968 it would not have been required by law to have a serial number I think? Some guns did but not all.

And if it is marked for 22 LR it will shoot that and anything smaller, 22 long, 22 short.

(York County)

It is not marked with any caliber

(Northampton County)

If 22 LR's fit and the cylinder can rotate freely, meaning without the rounds sticking out of the end of the cylinder and catching on the frame/side of the barrel as it turns, its safe to assume that you can shoot them through it. I doubt its a .22 mag, but if it is, you can use the same test. A pic of the cylinder might help, if I could see it I might be able to tell by looking at it

(York County)

Thank you. I took the gun apart and I think I found what was causing it to jamb, on the hammer was a small pin holding a spring loaded arm in place. The pin was sticking out and binding on the inside frame of the gun, I got it pushed back in but now I can figure out how to get it back together. Sticking up from the trigger mech is an arm that just flops around and a flat metal L shaped piece that is in the grip (spring??) I am guess the one end of this has to latch into the hammer somehow but just cant seem to figure it out

(Northampton County)

Cant find much info online. A schematic would really help but I don't see anything, sometimes just fumbling around with it until you get it back together is the best way to learn how a particular gun works. The trigger/ hammer assemblies are the most complicated and intricate parts in a revolver.

(York County)

Thanks, I looked for a diagram but couldn't find anything either. I will keep messing around with it.