Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default So you want too start reloading.

Yesterday I drove out to my local gun shop with the intention of picking up a couple extra cans of powder. My list had 5 different powders I could have used. They had no pistol powder. Of the three rifle powders I use, they had one can of IMR 4350. One of the guys at the shop said his vender told them, IMR powders may become hard to come by, no reason was given. This is a small gun shop, however his stock was severely depleted. I normally never go out there without the intention of spending at least $100.00 on components. Of the powders, Bullets, and you can forget about primers. I walked out with one can of IMR 4350 and his last bottle of case lube.
    I also placed an order with Midsouth shooters about a month before the Connecticut tragedy, for there Varmint Nightmare 55Gr, SP/WC. They run about $40.00 per 500, As of today still on back order. I stocked up some prior to the last election, I should be good for a few months. I sure hope this panic buying ends soon.

(Butler County)

Default Re: So you want too start reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    Yesterday I drove out to my local gun shop with the intention of picking up a couple extra cans of powder.I walked out with one can of IMR 4350 and his last bottle of case lube. I sure hope this panic buying ends soon.
    It looks like there were a lot of people ahead of you. It's unfortunate for people who want to get into reloading right now and probably for the next year because components will be hard to come by. The really bad part is if the panic buying just stopped today it still wouldn't matter. It appears we have emptied not just store inventories but wholesalers and distributors as well. Certain companies are rejecting further backorders indicating they have filled their production for FY13.

What exactly are you loading? I might be able to help you....

Bill

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the offer, I should be ok for some time, with the election coming up I kind of saw the handwriting on the wall. I can rework some of my rifle loads with the Varget and 3031 I have on hand. I have a pretty good supply of HP-38 and Red dot, I can keep the pistols going. In the fall at the Pittsburgh mills Gun Show, I was able to get primer $30.00 a Thousand. Just a pain, loads you have put a lot of time into. Now back to matching components up again. But then that’s part of the fun of reloading.

(Lehigh County)

ever think about casting your own bullets. i have been reading up on this for the last week. i might take the plunge and start casting for 1 or 2 calibers before i go crazy buying molds. I know it doesn't help the powder problem, but my problem is finding .223 and .308 at decent prices.

(Allegheny County)

It's like everything, people wait until the SHTF and run out and hoard anything they can get their hands on be it ammunition or components instead of picking up a box or can here and there as the months go by. I almost dropped a few hundred on bulk Sierra Match Kings last week but decided to check my stash and there was zero need to by anything except maybe a few extra cans of powder to to top everything off. Why grab product off the shelf I don't need when there are people out there who really do need these items ?

(Westmoreland County)

Tony
    I do cast and it is much cheaper once you get set up. Lead is getting harder too find, I built a Bullet trap and now recycle all my hand gun lead, Trying to come up with something for rifles now. You mentioned 223 and 308 as two possible choices. You do know most semi-auto rifles will not cycle lead rounds and will clog the gas port on them. I checked into casting for my Mini-14 and most said it to would not function properly. I do cast for 3 different 30 cal, rifles. 308, 3030, and a 3006. I use the Lyman 311672 in 170 Grain gas checked. I have shot this bullet in all three rifles with very good results. I have taken 3 Deer with this bullet, and shoot a very mild low cost target loads with Red Dot powder.

(Westmoreland County)

I also forgot too say. I use the screen name Hornady, mainly because Other than cast I shoot Hornady bullets, My range is set up at 100 yards and the cheap Hornady shoot just as good as anything else at that range. Mid South Shooters sells what they call their Varmint Nightmare bullets for $40.00 for 500. I suspect they are Hornady bullets with the MS logo. I shoot the 55Gr, SP/WC in my Savage 223, Savage 22-250 and the Mini. They to are on back order, however you can order from them, they will put you on the list and do not charge you till they send your order.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    Tony
    You do know most semi-auto rifles will not cycle lead rounds and will clog the gas port on them. I checked into casting for my Mini-14 and most said it to would not function properly. I do cast for 3 different 30 cal, rifles. 308, 3030, and a 3006.
    The BRN has to be above a certain level (can't remember off the top of my head).

For example, 311299 with 35 grains of varget and 1 grain of filler is the tightest shooting load I ever found with the Garand and it cycles. No shavings in the gas cylinder. See post number #5 here http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....bullets+garand

Bill

(Lehigh County)

hornady,
    i'm glad you told me that. all my .223 and .308's are semi.
    I do shoot pistol, so maybe I can go that route, but it is making my decision easier. Since my DE .50 is gas operated, i guess that would also apply to the semi rule?

(Allegheny County)

I have dismissed reloading for years - mostly because I didn't feel like messing around with it for the commonly available and affordable ammo that I use.

Not so commonly available, or affordable now.

I figured now would be a bad time to start reloading, but I think I'll start researching it. I almost snagged up a press the other day, but (a) I don't know what I even need, and (b) I've spent too much money on ammo and mags over the last month. The press will have to wait.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast