Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Springfield XDs, .45 or 9mm

So before all the panic buying started I decided I was going to purchase an XDs in .45 as that was the only round it came in. I procrastinated and was unable to purchase one as my dealer could not get it. Now the gun has become available in 9mm as many of you know.

My first Springfield was the XDM COMP 5.25 in 9mm and I love the trigger and the way it shoots. So I am pretty much sold on the XDs.

So my question is 9mm or .45?
    What would you choose and why?

I really want the XDs so suggesting others guns is not necessary. The street price on the .45 before the panic was around $500, saw it at shows for $499 so the price is not outrageous.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Springfield XDs, .45 or 9mm

My 2 cents - 9mm. Main reason - cheaper to shoot. I assume this would be a carry gun and you'd probably get more time behind the trigger if the ammo isn't as expensive. I also like the higher round capacity even though I know most would argue that you don't need as many rounds with a .45... I still think 9mm is a great all around caliber. Lastly, I can't imagine a .45 is fun to shoot out of that small, lightweight gun (for most people).

(Montgomery County)

Yes, this is for carry purposes... forgot to put that in the original post.

(Franklin County)

My answer would rely entirely on what you already own......

Both are affective and are not deterred by denim.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_fi...otionvideo.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8yWGq3c1OI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frFfF-hWpxk

Is having 2 more rounds in the 9mm important to you? If you can shoot well under stress, then I'd go with the 45, but I am subjective to that round. Both will do the job, but there is something about the "kicking a man after he's dead" feeling you get with the .45. It isn't likely you'll need more than 6 rounds unless you're in a serious gun fight to which neither will help you, ultimately, unless you carry a few spare magazines.
    Last edited by harold63; January 18th, 2013 at 09:28 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I just picked up my XDs last week...for me 45ACP > 9mm. If you cannot afford ammo to shoot, pick another hobby. Or learn how to justify why you settled for something less because of ammo price.

If you don't reload, you could also learn to reload and use cast bullets to even save more money.

I had a Shield and sold it to buy my XDs. I'm very glad that I made the decision to get a single staked 45ACP.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rider4Life01 View Post

See above......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Butler County)

I'd personally go with whatever caliber you can shoot better, and what ammo you can afford/find more easily. Over here north of Pittsburgh 9mm seems to be really scarce as of late. I still see some 45 auto on most shelves, though.

I'd also watch some ammo tests of these calibers in short barrels like the XDs has. This guy does a lot of ammo testing with short barreled "pocket pistols"
    http://www.youtube.com/user/PocketGunsandGear

I honestly have fallen off the ultra compact single stack band wagon, though. I originally traded my Kel Tec PF9 in for a Kahr CW9. I carried that for a little while, but then rented a Glock 19 from an indoor range and found that the Glock 19 was damn near the same size except it was a little longer. Don't get me wrong, the Kahr is a nice firearm and has been 100% reliable for me. It's just now that I have a Glock 19, I have no reason for it to come out of the safe anymore. I have twice the capacity in a slightly larger package which is still easy to conceal. Personally if I were to buy the XDs it would be in 9mm and I would most likely carry Speer Gold Dot short barrel ammo in it.

(Blair County)

I just sold my XDS .45 to another member here. Personally if this was my choice of weapons I would go for the 9mm. Ammo is so much cheaper, 13.99 vs 24.99 a box. I know this is no range gun, but in .45 I found the recoil to be ridiculous. I carry a G29 with hot 10mms in it and it has about half the recoil of the XDS. Its almost identicle in size but about 3/16" wider and holds 5 more rounds of a more powerfull round. 9mm bullets have come a long way and have similar energy #s to a 45 now. You loose about 20% diameter though. Personally I would wait for a .40. Ammo cost of a 9mm, seems much more available then any pistol caliber right now, More power then 9 or .45.
    Ive gone thru 4 carry pistols in the past 3 years and keep coming back to the G29. I am no glock fan...but I love this gun for CC.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rider4Life01 View Post
    I have both 9mm and .45 pistols so ammo or the cost of the ammo is not an issue. I currently carry Smith 442 (5-shot) with .38 +p hollow points (whatever Magtech's defense rounds are) and am happy, but just wanted a second option and something different.

I don't own a .40 although like them. Just didn't want to add another caliber to the mix so figured I'd stick to 9 or 45 since I have others.

I'll use it at the range a little to get used to shooting it and get familiar with it, but ultimately it will be used for carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast