Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Minor (17) hunting with a pistol as a sidearm

I am 17.
    In being 17 I know I cannot have an SP (sportman carry permit), but the SP (from what ive read) seems to be more about carrying while driving to a hunting location. or how you can carry while you are there.
    also I'm not completely sure if it is considered legal to hunt with a revolver (i assume it is) in 5D
    The area that I hunt in is right behind my house (many acres of woods behind my house) so I'm doing no driving or walking around on streets to get to where I am hunting at.
    So to my question(s)
    1. When I am hunting deer in the 5D area with a 12 gauge shotgun am I legally allowed to carry a revolver with me?
    2. can the revolver be CC without the SP or am i required to open carry without the SP (being under 17).
    3. being under 17 am i allowed to carry a pistol at all? ( I assume I would since it is being use for hunting, but I'm not sure)
    4. are you allowed to hunt with pistols at all in this county? (non semi-auto that is, e.g. revolver)

in other threads some have said Yes i can only OC a revolver along with my shotgun without the SP, I just cannot CC it. and since I walk right off my property into the woods i hunt, I'm not walking down public streets OC under 17 (which would be illegal)
    Others say I can OC a revolver, but only if it is my "main" weapon. (I'm assuming "main weapon" means "only weapon")
    does anyone know about this at all? I plan on hunting this weekend and want to know If i can do it.

If i get no response or no definite response i will not be carrying a pistol, just to be safe.( My dad doesn't need a felony haha)

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Minor (17) hunting with a pistol as a sidearm

I would say that since you're 17, you can't carry a handgun at all. You can't get a Sportsman's permit, nor can you get a LTCF. When you turn 18, you can get a Sportsmans' firearms permit as long as you also have a hunting license, but that still won't do you much good in 5D since hunting deer with a handgun is not permitted in 5D or any any of the special regulations areas.

I cut and pasted this excerpt dealing with the Special Regulations Areas from Page 54 of the annual Hunting & Trapping Digest which you get with your license each year:

Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks — Manual or semi-automatic shotguns 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Remaining Counties (this includes 5D) — Muzzleloading long guns, .44 caliber or larger, manual or semi-automatic shotguns .410 or larger using slugs, 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds.

You may hunt small game in 5D with a .22 rimfire or smaller caliber manually-operated handgun, but only if you have the requisite sportsman's permit.

So basically, if you want to hunt with a handgun in 5D, you need to be at least 18, have a sportsmans's permit (which you can get at 18) or LTCF (which you can't get until you're 21), and only hunt small game using a revolver or single-shot chambered in .22rimfire or smaller.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Minor (17) hunting with a pistol as a sidearm

Quote Originally Posted by jbrower View Post
    I would say that since you're 17, you can't carry a handgun at all. You can't get a Sportsman's permit, nor can you get a LTCF. When you turn 18, you can get a Sportsmans' firearms permit as long as you also have a hunting license, but that still won't do you much good in 5D since hunting deer with a handgun is not permitted in 5D or any any of the special regulations areas.

I cut and pasted this excerpt dealing with the Special Regulations Areas from Page 54 of the annual Hunting & Trapping Digest which you get with your license each year:

Ridley Creek and Tyler state parks — Manual or semi-automatic shotguns 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Remaining Counties (this includes 5D) — Muzzleloading long guns, .44 caliber or larger, manual or semi-automatic shotguns .410 or larger using slugs, 20-gauge or larger using buckshot, bows and arrows and crossbows. Crossbows must have a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds.

You may hunt small game in 5D with a .22 rimfire or smaller caliber manually-operated handgun, but only if you have the requisite sportsman's permit.

So basically, if you want to hunt with a handgun in 5D, you need to be at least 18, have a sportsmans's permit (which you can get at 18) or LTCF (which you can't get until you're 21), and only hunt small game using a revolver or single-shot chambered in .22rimfire or smaller.
    Yes you seem to be right, I just found this in the booklet

Firearms - Handguns: A Sportsman’s Firearms permit or a License to
    Carry Firearms is required to carry a handgun, or have in a motor vehicle.
    Licenses to Carry Firearms permits are issued by county sheriffs or
    the Philadelphia Chief of Police. The License to Carry Firearms permit
    only entitles bowhunters or spotlighters, for instance, to carry firearms
    that fall within this classification. County treasurers issue Sportsman’s
    Firearms Permits. A person holding a Sportsman’s Firearms Permit
    may not carry a concealed handgun or a loaded handgun in a vehicle,
    and may not carry a handgun while bowhunting or spotlighting.
    from http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=726681&mode=2 "General Hunting regulations"