Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Crawford County)

Default Pocket Carry for lefty

I am getting into the market for a good pocket pistol. As a lefty, many options are out due to the safety's...unless I were to carry safety off and hammer down. For a good pocket pistol, what do you recommend? It needs to be left friendly, and not be like toting a brick around...ie no glocks or suggestions like that. Like the idea or a revolver, but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Micah
    Last edited by hacimsaalk; January 16th, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Male RN

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig p238 for pocket carry?

Most people will tell you they aren't comfortable carrying a SA cocked and locked in their pocket. Regardless of your choice you MUST utilize a quality holster.

The real question is whether or not you are. Overall it is a nice gun (I own one and did a lot of .380 shopping before purchasing) so you will have no complaints in that aspect. Personally I would pick an LCP for pocket carry due in part because of the DOA and smaller/more rounded profile. The tall sights and hammer might make drawing somewhat difficult with the Sig.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Sig p238 for pocket carry?

Quote Originally Posted by hacimsaalk View Post
    Hello all,

I am looking into getting a pocket pistol for when I don't want to or cant strap on the M&P 9c. I have become rather interested in the sig 238. What is everyone's thoughts on it for a pocket carry piece? If you are not a fan of it for this, what do you suggest?

Thanks,

Micah
    Hi Micah,

I'll start by saying that I am a P238 owner, and I love the gun. That being said, I am fairly certain that I personally would not carry this pistol in a pocket, even with a nice pocket holster. My logic is this: when I carry mine, I carry it cocked and locked, with one in the pipe. Inside my pocket, I would be worried about the draw. Not worried about the gun, or it concealing, just the draw that needs to include a thumb sweep to move the safety. I find that if I carry it in an IWB crossbreed, (I also occasionally appendix carry it with a different holster) my draw is smoother. With the frame safety and slide release, as well as decent height sights, I would worry about snagging or clearing it smoothly. This is just me, and my opinion. I have had a TON of .380's, and also a Beretta Tomcat I used to pocket carry too. So I have some experience with the thought process and mechanics of this method of carry. You may feel fine with the 238 that way, I don't myself.

I have owned/carried these .380's/.32's: Beretta Tomcat .32; Ruger LCP; Keltec 380; Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380; Sig P230; Sig P238. Also a S&W .38 Airweight revolver

Note: I really love the gun, so much that I bought a 938 too. It's just a bit bigger. Plan to carry that IWB as well. Also, since you have an M&P 9c, I would give thought to the Shield or the .380 bodyguard. Not so much for the laser though, I think the laser is a bit junky. I had to send mine back to have the activation button fixed, and then never used the laser after that.

I feel that the P238 and S&W Bodyguard have decent actual sights, and not that channel and no front sight that the LCR and Keltec have. But, as long as you are carrying SOMETHING!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Pocket Carry for lefty

For semi-auto pocket carry I would also go with a DA (Double Action) only pistol such as an LCP or a DB380.

The other option is a revolver like a J-frame.

In any case, you absolutely positively must use a pocket holster.

(Lehigh County)

I also have an LCP and love it for pocket carry. With the pocket holster it pretty much disappears in any pocket I put it in.

(Delaware County)

My girlfriend has a S&W Bodyguard in .380 that makes for a great pocket pistol. In a pocket holster, I carry +1 with the safety off, because the trigger is extremely heavy. That built in laser is awesome, though.

(Indiana County)

In addition to what the others have written, I'd add the following: Use your left pocket.

Lefty here with a Sig P238 I carry it cocked and locked..i normally carry it on my right side though..I want a P938 instead for pocket carry duty

(Schuylkill County)

I'm lefty also. i carry a Sig p-232, No safety and hammer down. They look like a Walther PPK, just a little larger. 380 acp caliber. I use Hornady critical defense ammo.

(Berks County)

I'm a lefty, and I routinely pocket carry a Kahr MK9 in a "Blackbird" front pocket holster made by Michael Meredith @ PCS.

This is the Kahr MK9:
    http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-MK9.asp

And this is the holster (this picture shows a Walther PPK, but the shape is similar for the Kahr MK9):
    http://pcsholsters.com/catalog_item_BRD.html

I've owned my MK9 for 5+ years now, and it's the gun I carry most often. It's small, it's thin (0.9 in), it's all stainless, it has one of the best out-of-box triggers I've ever used, and it can handle +p and +p+ 9mm ammo (I carry Federal HST 124 gr 9mm +p).

The caveats:

- It's more pricey than an LCP, Kel-Tec, or other polymer pocket pistols
    - It doesn't have a rail on the dust cover; if you want laser sights you need to use CT LaserGrips
    - No ambidextrous controls; you must work the mag release with the strong-side index (trigger), middle, or ring finger, whatever's most comfortable
    - Because of the barrel's polygonal rifling, it's highly recommended that you only shoot FMJ, JHP, or other jacketed ammo.

I've found the gun to be extremely reliable with everything from the premium HST all the way down to 115gr WWB ammo. Never once have I had a failure to feed, fire, or eject, no problems with trigger reset, stovepiping, etc.

As far as the holster, Michael Meredith (owner of PCS) was a fantastic guy to deal with. He has a backlog of work, but he was always responsive to my calls and email, and the product I received was of FAR higher quality and craftsmanship than I expected. Over 5+ years of use and it's still holding up well. The leather is worked in where it needs to be, but still stiff where it must support the gun. It conceals well in the front pocket, and the Blackbird with its curved bottom is perfect for use in jeans. If you're the type to wear khakis/chinos/slacks/trousers more often than jeans, his Tomahawk or Harpoon models would be more appropriate.

Hope it helps!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast