Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tisas Zig M1911?

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Well they came back in stock a few days later and mine should be here tomorrow.
    Waiting for a gun to show up is worse than waiting on Santa when you're a kid. Yes, I have no self control; I admit it.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

I have been showing these Turk made handguns in my shop to customers for over a year and the number one response is that they can't believe how tight the slide to frame fit is and the overall quality. What really sells them is when they shoot the pistol. I must it admit that I was skeptical myself when I plunked down my money on the first one a year and a half ago, I figured well if it does not work out at least I can write if off as a business expense. That first Turk1911 led me down a path to 2 Turk 1911 both regents, a Zigana 9mm sport, a cannik tp9 -walther p99 clone, 8 more caniks-cz75 clones, Sar K-2 and ST10 and finally Sar KP2 poly framed Cz75 compact clone. Number one thing about these pistols is that they are an exceptional value ,but the most important thing is that they function perfectly and they are very accurate pistols. The canik cz clones take all my Cz mags as well they fit right in. When Bud's gets more of the Tisas 1911's and the Gisran 1911's I will pick up more of both. You won't regret your purchase. Brian/EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

Be realistic... do you think fellows think up nonsense to brag on a gun for the hell of it? Do all those '5' reviews at Bud's Gun Shop in KY sound like they are telling the same lie? Why is it hard to believe other countries cannot produce guns like they do guitars? All good guitar geeks know that China and Korea guitars are as good or even better than many USA guitars. CNC milling with modern machines can be done in Turke. Hell, Stoeger makes the Cougar 9mm in Turkey and it was from Beretta machines that they were made. Are you suspicious in the face of nearly uniform top ratings? Ask yourself why.

So are the superstitious guys going to ignore this man, too? When he buys multiple guns from Turkey, is it to fool somebody or propagate a fantasy? Hell, no! He's a knowledgeable shooter and businessman who recognizes value! Pay attention to those who own and handle guns and don't assume you have to by Wilson or Caspian or Ed Brown to get a good serviceable gun. A lot of men do not have but 400-600 bucks for a nice handgun.

I had a Kimber Compact Aluminum once as my 1st .45, then later the Springfield 'Loaded' and had a Sig in .45 along the way. The true full size 1911 in steel is my preference, though as a handgun I feel Glocks are most practical for carry, reliability, resale, natural shooting 'feel' (I keep the gen 3 model 19 for carry and sometimes a Walther PP in .32 (German all steel)).

To me, the TISAS appears to be a value priced, but well made gun. And I think it will be shown to hold value. Recall that Glocks were derided for years when they first arrived, but now they are the standard for polymer guns to measure up against. When I bought the 'Loaded' used, I had asked 2 experienced 1911 fans who worked at a range and at a gun shop their views. They told me skip Taurus, Kimber was overpriced and quality had fallen off, and that Smith & Wesson was nice, but Springfield offered good quality and features and service at a reasonable price. I wonder if we may be seeing the arrival of Turkish guns that are priced really well, but well made. The Stoeger 'Cougar' 9mm is an example I owned and liked a lot.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogxx View Post
    . I wonder if we may be seeing the arrival of Turkish guns that are priced really well, but well made.
    Well, Springfield Loaded(for the most part) is Brazilian guns that are priced really well, but well made. So I don't see why not with Turkish guns
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

I agree with this fellow... Anyone who examined and shot a Stoeger 'Cougar' is familiar with a Turkey-made gun. I had one and it was fine. The workforce in Turkey is apparently good and it is not a backward country. I noticed that in my investment advisory services, the 'ETF' that tracks the general index of Turkish productivity is making money. Brazil, the countries like Indonesia and Thailand are similar.

It may be the case that for some time we will be able to get very well made 1911s at a modest price that will look cheap a couple of years from now. I am assuming that the federal administration does not compel confiscation. California has a bill that specifies prohibiting any firearm with a detachable magazine. Get it?

(Cumberland County)

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any more Turkish guns - they are some quality stuff! I have the Beretta clone 92c and a Safir AR type shotgun - both quality guns. I am debating a Tisas or Canik next. I have yet to hear or see anything negative - quality at a great price. If you want to wait a little longer to see some history, then imo RIA is hands down the best value for a 1911 - another gun you will hear very few negative reviews about. I have a RIA commander model and a 38 super, never one problem with either of them.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Montgomery County)

I picked mine up yesterday but haven't had too much time to get to know it yet. What I did gather is that it is very nice looking. The slide is extremely tight and the spring is extremely stiff. The trigger doesn't feel great but doesn't feel bad either (please keep in mind that this is my first 1911 so I don't know what is "normal"). The sights are small but it doesn't bother me at all. The wood grips while plain are very nice though I may swap them out for something else (aluminum maybe?) if only for that fact that I don't want to stain them with oil, cleaner, etc. Speaking of oil all moving parts seem to be well oiled (very wet) from the factory and it is oil, not grease. I got some of the oil on the grip while working the safety but it did wipe right off. The saftey goes on and off probably better (easier, smoother) than any other hand gun I have. I'm not sure if that's just because of the comfortable position it's at on a 1911 platform, the craftsmanship, or both. The magazine goes into and comes out of the mag well very positivley if not slightly tight (not bad tight, good tight if that makes any sense). I'm not sure if that's the mag well, the mag, or both (or just how 1911s are). The plastic hardcase that it came in was also unexpedtedly nice for this price point (not that I wind up using them much). The one that came with my Beretta 92A1 is junk compared to this one considering the gun cost more than 1/3 less than the Beretta.

I'm looking forward to taking it apart and cleaning it sometime this weekend and then who the heck knows when I'll either have the time or the ammo (since this is my first .45 I have none yet) to go shooting. I have most of the stuff that I need to reload .45 already though and I'm amused by the possibility that I will wind up loading .45s before I have a chance to buy any at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdogxx View Post
    I had one to arrive after 4 days from Bud's at $399 on 2/6/2013. A lot of reviews there mark it '5' and all those guys are not telling the same fib. It must be a well made and finished gun and modestly priced. I had a Stoeger Cougar made in Turkey for $340 new and it was fine (same gun as Beretta Cougar). Mine will be compared to a Springfield 'Loaded' that uses Wilson 8 rd mags, Trijicon, VZ grips. So my Springfield in SS is not a junk gun and I knew enough how to improve it. I'll see how the TISAS compares stock.

Update 2/6/2013...

The gunsmith at the shop pointed out the things he looks for in a 1911 and the TISAS ZIG M 1911 had all of them. I mentioned that for $400 new it may not be a Springfield, but it's a nice gun. He replied " It's better than a Springfield... they are made in Brazil". I don't know if that is true or not ... or that it proves anything. But I was not going to dispute what a gunsmith said about 1911s from 2 companies. But it was clear that this fellow liked the TISAS and was familiar with several other guns from Turkey and the Phillipines (one from Phillipines had come in that shop for another fellow as I was getting background checked and the buyer clearly was admiring mine).

My TISAS has very tight tolerances in the slide to frame fit, seems nicely finished, the hammer checkering is neatly done, grips well fashioned. I don't see anything in it to object to, but I'm not a gunsmith either. It's pretty oily inside, but a takedown and cleaning and lubrication will fix all that. I felt the trigger and it is very smooth and short and positive. The slide release is a bit of work and the magazine release (1 * MecGar 8 rd mag) could be smoothed up and lightened a bit. Fr a brand new steel 1911, it' a lot of gun, in my view. I have the Springfield 'Loaded' with VZ grips, Trijicon added, Wilson mags. I'm selling it at GunsAmerica to pay for the TISAS and a nice electric guitar. I think it is a good exchange.
    As far as Springields being made in Brazil he was partially correct. All of Springfield's frames and slides are made by IMBEL, who makes some pretty impressive FALs...they know what they are doing. The ones with the "NM" prefix to the serial number are mostly machined in Brazil (like 80%) and finished and fitted by Springfield here in the US. They make enough of it here that they can avoid labeling it "made in Brazil", as the non-NM serial numbered ones are.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast