Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Tisas Zig M1911?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    but it was bought with the purpose of using it as a web example of what you could do with one of these cheap pistols.
    Heh, heh, heh, heh....That is what my intention was with the PT's I own. Only problem is all but one of them still have TAURUS portside and PT 1911 starboard. I believe for a lot of folks, no matter what you do to one, it is still a Taurus.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    The rest of the the pistols have been excellent performers with my favorite being the Sar K-2 45 ACP with its 14 + 1 capacity. Brian /EFR
    My wife and I looked at a couple Zagano 9mm's a few years ago and they felt super rigid, like a P226. They were less than $350 each for a full size, all metal, hi cap 9mm. We were ignorant of TISAS at the time and didn't consider them. We bought something else (too embarrassed to say) instead of the Zagano and I think we traded it two weeks later. Now, no one in my county even carries them.

(Northampton County)

I am actually doing a Canik 120 steel cz 75 clone and trickin it out with night sights,vz grips ,two tone cerakote and trigger job . The plain and simple of it is these Tuirk pistols are well made tack drivers and I now have three or four of them with more than 3 thousand rounds thru them trouble free. The three tisas 1911's that came thru my shop already were nice and tight and all three customers are happy. ps they ordered them on their own all I did was the transfers. I really like the quality on these now I have shoot one, my two other turk 1911's are great performersso I would expect the same from the Tisas. Brian /EFR
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Bucks County)

Glad to hear the reviews are good. I had been looking at these on buds, even had one in my cart. But I decided a 1911 is number 2 on my gun list right now. Though after reading this its getting tempting to move it to number 1.

(Beaver County)

While my Tisas isn't the "Zig", it is a 1911a1, and it's been flawless since I won it. I think for their price point, they're hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterPgh View Post
    I think for their price point, they're hard to beat.
    Indeed...

I believe these guns and any of the other sub $600 A1 replica 1911's make a great base. Once you start tuning triggers or changing out parts to what a person likes, that 1911 is no longer the brand stamped on the slide. For pennies on the dollar, you can make one of these pistols look and shoot as well as anything on the market, except maybe getting the guaranteed 1" at 25 yds from a Kimber SM II or 1.5" at 25 from a Baer. Personally, I'm void of being 110% happy with a cast frame, but if it isn't a competition gun or used for combat, then I'd be quite happy with one for around $400.

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, too bad I dragged my feet and waited too long. They're sold out now. They do still have the dual tone stainless slide one for $30 more but I don't know how I feel about that.

Did I need this? Definitely not. Did I want it? Yes. By waiting though my decision was made for me. I'm contemplating now if I should use their reserve option. Basically you pay for it at the $399 price and it reserves one for you if they get them back in but they don't garuantee that they will. If 90 days passes and they don't get them back you can get a full refund. Less than 90 days is refund - 10%. So yesterday I could have gotten a new 1911 for $399 and it was garuanteed delivered in 3-7 days. Today I can buy a chance to maybe get one for the same price. Oh well.

I had one to arrive after 4 days from Bud's at $399 on 2/6/2013. A lot of reviews there mark it '5' and all those guys are not telling the same fib. It must be a well made and finished gun and modestly priced. I had a Stoeger Cougar made in Turkey for $340 new and it was fine (same gun as Beretta Cougar). Mine will be compared to a Springfield 'Loaded' that uses Wilson 8 rd mags, Trijicon, VZ grips. So my Springfield in SS is not a junk gun and I knew enough how to improve it. I'll see how the TISAS compares stock.

Update 2/6/2013...

The gunsmith at the shop pointed out the things he looks for in a 1911 and the TISAS ZIG M 1911 had all of them. I mentioned that for $400 new it may not be a Springfield, but it's a nice gun. He replied " It's better than a Springfield... they are made in Brazil". I don't know if that is true or not ... or that it proves anything. But I was not going to dispute what a gunsmith said about 1911s from 2 companies. But it was clear that this fellow liked the TISAS and was familiar with several other guns from Turkey and the Phillipines (one from Phillipines had come in that shop for another fellow as I was getting background checked and the buyer clearly was admiring mine).

My TISAS has very tight tolerances in the slide to frame fit, seems nicely finished, the hammer checkering is neatly done, grips well fashioned. I don't see anything in it to object to, but I'm not a gunsmith either. It's pretty oily inside, but a takedown and cleaning and lubrication will fix all that. I felt the trigger and it is very smooth and short and positive. The slide release is a bit of work and the magazine release (1 * MecGar 8 rd mag) could be smoothed up and lightened a bit. Fr a brand new steel 1911, it' a lot of gun, in my view. I have the Springfield 'Loaded' with VZ grips, Trijicon added, Wilson mags. I'm selling it at GunsAmerica to pay for the TISAS and a nice electric guitar. I think it is a good exchange.

I did a disassembly and reassembly and found the magazine release is stiff, so I am going to replace it with an 'extended' type button and the hex headed type mag catch lock. I also had the grip panels off and gave them 3 coats of boiled linseed oil and rubbed to a low shine. The gun is smoother after getting the factory oil out and using white grease on the rails and other contact points. It was a bit of work to get the mainspring housing pin out and I had to figure how to slide the housing off since it was not lubricated in its tracks. For a first disassembly, it went pretty well and the gun is still unmarked. For a guy not handy and without a proper screwdriver and punch set, maybe let a gunsmith do the cleanout and lube the first time. I'm pretty handy and had my other 1911 apart, but never a full tear-down (to extractor, trigger and sear, etc.).
    Last edited by Blackdogxx; February 9th, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling

(Beaver County)

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Tisas. Mine gets compared to my SA Range Officer, which is by all counts a fine piece; I have no complaints with my Turkish 1911A1.

(Montgomery County)

The longer I looked at the two tone one the more I liked it even though it was $30 more. By the time I decided to go for that one though (about a week and a half ago) it had sold out too. More good reviews showed up on Bud's so I reserve ordered it. Well they came back in stock a few days later and mine should be here tomorrow. They were in stock again yesterday but sold out again today. Too bad .45 ammo is way high (along with everything else right now). I guess that's one more caliber to reload. Good thing someone gave me a whole .45 caliber setup for my Dillon 550 several years ago. This will be my first .45.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast